Or peak?

Confused now.....
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 01:34 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
dum is the spelling of an Arabic percussion stroke - pronounced doom

(another reason to be entertained rather than enlightened by any of omsig's posts)

dum dum tak dum tak

(aka doom doom tuck doom tuck)
It is poor judgment to add a b
to the word dum (meaning stupid) because when pronounced,
no b is evident.

When I wrote the title, out of old habit, I wrote it: "DUMB"
but then I corrected it by rendering it fonetic.

U have my magnanimity, Beth.

David
Miller

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 02:00 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

Tell it to the Chinese, David, who have to learn a minimum of 2000 symbol... that is why they generally do better than caucasians on IQ tests, because their minds get far more exercise learning to write.

No way! Many Chinese kids do perform very well on standardized IQ tests because they're good test takers. As far as intelligence goes, I've known very few Chinese who are top performers in Science either in Grad School, PostDoc or at the Staff Scientist level either at the University level or in industry.

I have known several Chinese, however, who seemed to thrive as cheats during their exposure to an American College education.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 02:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
no b is evident.

Really?
That's odd, for you see, when I pronounce the word dumb there indeed is a b. It's a soft b, however it is most definitely there. If the b were not there then it would sound more in line with the word drum at the ending.

(then again, I have a habit of dropping the letter r at the end of words like anger and river= anga and riva. Don't be worried though because it shows up again in many words which end in an a.)

Besods which if there weren't a b at the end then I'm sure the dictionary would so indicate.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2014 03:46 pm
@Sturgis,
DAVID wrote:
no b is evident.
Sturgis wrote:

Really?
That's odd, for you see, when I pronounce the word dumb there indeed is a b.
It's a soft b, however it is most definitely there.
This is the first
I 've ever heard of it, after many decades.

Sturgis wrote:
If the b were not there then it would sound more in line with the word drum at the ending.
Yes; that is how I have always known everyone
to pronounce it.

Sturgis wrote:
(then again, I have a habit of dropping the letter r at the end of words like anger and river= anga and riva.
I have never done that.
I have always pronounced the full word of anger or river,
faithfully employing an e in each case, never deviating into an a. I like to play it straight.

Sturgis wrote:
Don't be worried though because it shows up again in many words which end in an a.)

Besods which if there weren't a b at the end then I'm sure the dictionary would so indicate.
I am confident that I trust lexicographers less than u do.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 01:20 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

MontereyJack wrote:
Not to mention the fact that what david calls fonetic is not in fact consistently phonetic at all. "u" for "you" would be pronouned "oo" as in moon if it were phonetic, not "you" as david is using it. That is in fact logographic not phonetic, it's using the way the letter u is pronounced when it is not part of a word as if it were in fact a phonetic unit, which it is not. Similarly "ez" is not "easy" phonetically. It is again pronouncing it logographically, as the names of the letters are pronounced.
Right; the idea is service of fast, ez convenience for those who use it.
Y shud the Spanish be better off than English speakers?????????

Spanish isn't written or pronounced logographically.

The word y, "and" in Spanish is pronounced approximately like the way the name for the English letter "e" is pronounced. If the Spanish word [i[y[/i] were to be pronounced logographically, it would be pronouned i griega, "Greek I."
ehBeth

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 01:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

no b is evident.

now that you've confirmed that you pronounce the word dumb incorrectly, what should we all do with that information?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 01:26 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

MontereyJack wrote:
Not to mention the fact that what david calls fonetic is not in fact consistently phonetic at all. "u" for "you" would be pronouned "oo" as in moon if it were phonetic, not "you" as david is using it. That is in fact logographic not phonetic, it's using the way the letter u is pronounced when it is not part of a word as if it were in fact a phonetic unit, which it is not. Similarly "ez" is not "easy" phonetically. It is again pronouncing it logographically, as the names of the letters are pronounced.
Right; the idea is service of fast, ez convenience for those who use it.
Y shud the Spanish be better off than English speakers?????????

Spanish isn't written or pronounced logographically.

The word y, "and" in Spanish is pronounced approximately like the way the name for the English letter "e" is pronounced. If the Spanish word [i[y[/i] were to be pronounced logographically, it would be pronouned i griega, "Greek I."
When we upgrade, then we can SURPASS
Spanish efficiency.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2014 01:29 pm
@ehBeth,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

no b is evident.
ehBeth wrote:
now that you've confirmed that you pronounce the word dumb incorrectly,
what should we all do with that information?
Continue not pronouncing that b !
0 Replies