HOW CAN A GUY BE SO DUM?????

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 01:57 am
@OmSigDAVID,
This reply of yours does you no credit, and shows you up for what you are.

Selfish and deluded,

Nearly every English speaking child learns to read and write at school, and learns the basics of how to spell and pronounce the vast majority of English words so that the vast majority of other English speaking people may understand their written word, no matter how those words are pronounced from region to region.
It is language weirdos who come along and try to change things around, and these new fangled ways of doing things are often ill thought through and misguided.

The result is that I find your posts tiresome to read, and have it in my mind that in real life you must sound like a backwoods throwback.

If the words are spelt universally as we all know them, then we can pronounce them the way we wish to pronounce them in our heads as we read, according to the region on this planet that we are familiar with.

To have kiddy spelling rammed down our throats is pretty ridiculous to my mind. I have to semi translate what you write, and usually have it in mind that you are silly even before I've worked out what it is you are trying to say.

Which is a shame, because underneath all that idiocy, I think you have a reasonable brain trying to get out.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 01:59 am
@MontereyJack,

DAVID wrote:
Y shud the Spanish be better off than English speakers?????????
MontereyJack wrote:
To repeat, Spanish has far fewer phonemes than English does, so they have almost a 1:1 correspondence between letter and sound. English has somewhere in the low 40s of phonemes, which means we have far more phonemes than we do letters to represent them (not to mention widespread dialects with significant differences in pronunciation). Do we do Aussie phonetics?
NO.

MontereyJack wrote:
Liverpool phonetics?
NO.

MontereyJack wrote:
Spell it like the Scots say it?
NO! New York fonetics!!!

MontereyJack wrote:
Boston phonetics? valley girl phonetics? Mississippi phonetics? You're advocating complete anarchy, or else a whole lot of pissed off people because the allegedly "phonetic" spelling is nowhere near the way they pronounce the words.
Television will smooth it all out; it will be OK.

David
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:20 am
What you have to remember, Omsig, is that there's forʔee farsan fevvas orn a frisky frushis frote.
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:30 am
David revels in his childish conceits, you're wasting your time.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:32 am
@Setanta,
If I offered the same comment about u,
then u 'd accuse me of looking for a fight.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Tis troo dough.......oops....doe.
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:51 am
@Lordyaswas,
All of this has been explained to David over and over again, through the years. He's an attention whore, and he's gotten your attention. For pity's sake, he spells "they" as "thay" just in the hope of getting someone's goat.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:54 am
@Alqaholic,
Alqaholic wrote:

Is it ironic if the title has a misspelled word?

Now that's funny. Can a red ribbon please be awarded to Alqa's post somehow?
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 04:00 am
@Setanta,
When I read his posts, I always end up having the 'duelling banjos' soundtrack playing in my head.
neologist

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 09:16 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:
What you have to remember, Omsig, is that there's forʔee farsan fevvas orn a frisky frushis frote.
Elegantly sed, er said.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 09:34 am
@OmSigDAVID,
People can get incipient Alzheimer's even if they're smart. Doubt me? Then look up the life of Iris Murdock.

Plus sometimes they get Alzheimer's or dementia earlier than most of us would expect.

The idea behind the Nigerian Prince scam (and the like) is to build a list of suckers. The more outlandish the exercise, the better, as anyone who falls for that will believe anything. Not only are these folks looking to get the victims personally, they are also in the business of selling sucker lists to others.

It's reprehensible but it is counterproductive to poke fun at the victims and call them stupid, etc. It's unkind. These people screwed up. They are certainly getting enough grief with identity theft and the like. No sense in piling on.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 09:48 am
@jespah,
Towards the end of my Mum's life, I took over the duty of posting all of her letters, many of which contained cheques to such slime as supposed representatives of the Irish Lottery, telling her that for a £20 fee, they would process her win of £5000.

At the beginning I used to argue with her, trying to get her to see that these were a scam, but the dementia was really getting in to gear and as soon as I'd gone, she'd be sending off the cheques again.
I then spoke to all her neighbours and friends, and we arranged for all her mail to be posted by me or my brothers if they were on the scene.

I probably stopped about £2000 in cheques being sent over the following year.

In her prime, she was a highly intelligent nurse who was one shrewd cookie.

The slime who prey on these unfortunate people should be put away for a very long time.
jespah

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 09:56 am
@Lordyaswas,
Exactly. If hell exists, I hope they have a special place for the scum who prey on the elderly, the infirm, the mentally disabled, etc.
neologist

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 10:10 am
@jespah,
Sadly, I guess, hell does not exist. The best we can hope for is the proverbial "life before their lives" to take place. Of course, no one but David could could explain such. That is, if we are dum enough to fall for it.

Sorry to have rambled on.
Time for cawfee, I guess.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 10:17 am
@Lordyaswas,
Alqaholic wrote:
Is it ironic if the title has a misspelled word?

Lordyaswas wrote:
Now that's funny. Can a red ribbon please be awarded to Alqa's post somehow?
Perhaps Alqa had not realized the OP was intended as satire.

Oh. . . .
Alqaholic

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 01:21 pm
@neologist,
I do feel guilty for stirring **** up. Though the real irony is a person w/ a name like mine in this forum calling that out.
I wrote it for comical effect, but I didn't expect it to take a turn for the worse as it did.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 01:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
dum is the spelling of an Arabic percussion stroke - pronounced doom

(another reason to be entertained rather than enlightened by any of omsig's posts)

dum dum tak dum tak

(aka doom doom tuck doom tuck)
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 01:26 pm
@Alqaholic,
I wouldn't worry about it, Al.

This is about the umpteenth time this subject has been aired with Omsig.

Psssst....I think he loves the attention of it all.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 01:34 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Television will smooth it all out; it will be OK.

you do realize that on American television they try to sound like people living in central Canada - a truly boring nearly unaccented version of English
Setanta

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2014 03:21 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I get somehing duller, more ponderous . . . something lugubrious . . .

0 Replies