Chechnya - War Against Terrorism Or Violating Human Rights?

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 08:29 am
Not boring at all Docent P. Fascinating. It seems Russian politics can still be a very dangerous game. But it can be dangerous anywhere...ask the wife and family of Dr David Kelly, distinguished microbiologist, expert on Iraq's weapons programmes and advisor to the UK government and now dead.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 07:29 pm
So basically, Docent P, you're saying that many of the "Chechen terrorist attacks", for example the NORD-OST hostage-taking, have been staged by the Russian secret services, and that the secret service is now taking opportunity of the fall-out to purge police and politics of possible competitors and dissenters, not stopping at killing whoever gets in the way if they have to.

Did I summarise that right? You know, many of us won't be familiar with the names, terms and backgrounds you mention - I wouldnt be surprised if most of us already forgot what "Nord-Ost" was - so sometimes you might have to take a step back in explaining things for us! Fascinating material, nevertheless, especially all the links.

(The Novaya Gazeta story "Russian Authorities Hedge ..." struck me especially, also because just last week the most serious Dutch newspaper, NRC Handelsblad, published a report they'd written together with Novaya Gazeta about the fate of Arjan Erkel (the Dutch aid worker who went missing in Chechnya under mysterious circumstances) - a fascinating and related story of itself. As a source it definitely seems reliable.)

I have only two problems with the summary. The first is that I'm afraid that, even if it should be true, most people simply won't believe it - or not until much much afterward, anyway. There's something in the concept of a state staging bloody attacks against itself (and its citizens) that is beyond what most people are willing to entertain as a possibility.

I catch myself at that reaction, too. In America, there are still people who believe 9/11 was not the work of Al-Qaeda - that, instead, it was staged by the American government, for much of the same kind of reasons that the Russian government would have for staging the Chechen attacks. I find myself just tuning out whenever their conspiracy theories come up - instinctively unwilling to think about the possibility. There simply are too many valid explanations why Al-Qaeda would have attacked NY, to want to go into how it could possibly also have been some twisted, intricate, brilliantly obfuscated government plot.

Of course, it is different in Russia - even if it's just because there's such a blatant precedent: the murder of Leningrad Party leader Kirov by the NKVD (the FSB's distant predecessor) and its subsequent use as a pretext to unleash Stalin's purges of party, administration and police. The fact that it's happened before makes it easier to imagine it could happen again, especially considering Putin himself hails straight from the FSB, and the Russian secret police has shown a demonstrative loyalty to the KGB/NKVD history even in post-Soviet times (I read this anecdote about the portrait of Dzherzhinsky at FSB HQ ...). And Lord knows those bombings of apartment blocks that so neatly catapulted Putin into power in the elections that took place immediately after were never satisfactorily solved ...

But still, and this is where the second problem I have with it, even if shady stuff can be shown to have been involved in some terrorist attacks, Chechens desperadoes would also have had enough reasons of their own to commit such attacks. Thats where the stories of these suicide bombers come in. God knows there's been enough atrocities in Chechnya to inspire a thousand Chechen kamikaze terrorists - wholly independent from how the FSB might or might not work to manipulate them.

I'm afraid that in the end you might get a situation like Algeria's, this way ... The election victory by the FIS there provoked a coup d'etat that had FIS radicals mutate into the ruthless desert guerrillas of the GIA, while government paramilitaries in their turn would spread terror in the countryside too (whether to implicate the GIA or simply instill obedient fear). In the end, random acts of increasingly cruel terrorism succeeded each other ever more rapidly, and it became impossible for anyone to know whether it'd been the GIA, the paramilitaries, or just random gangsters who thrived in the resulting anarchy as well, who were behind it this time.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 08:19 pm
Highlighting and connecting quotes from two of your links ...:

Jamestown Foundation wrote:
[T]he mainstream Russian mass media have for the most part also given the story the silent treatment. [Politkovskaya] blamed the silence on indifference not just among the media but among the general public. [..] David Satter [..] focused more narrowly on government manipulation of the media. "The authorities' strategy in the face of such revelations is now well-established - just ignore them in the hope that they will go away," he said [..]. He depicted that strategy as largely successful [..]

TIME wrote:
Terror attacks against Russian civilians could hurt Putin in the run-up to parliamentary elections in December and the presidential elections next year. But he could also use the crisis to cement his hold on power; it was the 1999 wave of apartment bombings that helped propel him into office in the first place. [..] "At the Kremlin they believe that Russians will learn to live with these bombings, like the Soviets once learned to live with chronic food shortages," says the senior federal government official.

It seems he might be sadly right ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2003 09:44 pm
News story this weekend, translated from Dutch (http://www.volkskrant.nl/buitenland/1059110038185.html):

Quote:
Budanov gets 10 years jail sentence

The Russian colonel Yuri Budanov was found guilty, Friday, of kidnapping and murdering a Chechen woman. A military judge in Rostov/Don sentenced him to a ten year prison sentence in an extra security jail. The prosecutor had demanded twelve years. It is the first time that a high Russian military is sentenced for crimes in Chechnya.

The verdict is remarkable because, in December, Budanov was found unaccountable for his actions by the same court. If the Russian Supreme Court hadnt overruled that verdict [last February, ordering a retrial], he would have been released after a brief enforced treatment.

The former commander of the 160th tank division has confessed several times that he has kidnapped, mistreated and murdered the 18 year old Elza Kungayeva in March 2000. This would have happened in a fit of insanity. According to him, Kungayeva was a sniper who had killed several of his comrades. Another soldier would have raped her corpse.

Eyewitnesses and family members of the victim say that Budanov and several comrades had driven to the village of Tangi Tshu in a state of heavy drunkenness, where they dragged Kungayeva out of her house and took her to the camp. There Budanov mistreated and raped Kungayeva and eventually strangled her.

The first law suit against Buyanov in December led to an acquittal. In that period he was psyciatrically examined three times. According to the first examination Budanov had been fully in control of his senses. The other two examinations, done by the Moscow Serbski Institute, yielded the diagnosis of temporary insanity.

The name Serbski-Institute sets off alarm-bells with human rights organisations. The institute was notorious, in Soviet times, for the way it abused psychiatry to lock up dissidents in institutions.

In [a psychiatric examination at] the retrial, the colonel was declared accountable for his actions. [..] The judge said he based his verdict on this. Budanov will lose his military rank and decorations. He has to pay the family of Kungayeva 15 thousand euro in damages.

Human rights organisations reacted with enthusiasm to the verdict. [But} Gannushkina [of Memorial] does not think that more military men will now be sentenced. "This case was unique. The family had filed charges, which is exceptional in Chechnya. And high militaries, amongst whom a general, have testified against Budanov." [In the WPR report below, Said Bitsoev of Novye Izestiya is quoted commenting: "Many have been killed in Chechnya, but they are putting up only one tank regiment commander [for punishment]. They've made a great noise about some strangled girl, even though they have raped before this case and since."]

See also http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3095003.stm:

Quote:
BBC Moscow correspondent Steve Rosenberg says the trial has been widely seen as a test of Russia's determination to crack down on human rights abuses by Russian troops in Chechnya.

Supporters from the ultranationalist group Russian National Unity stood outside the courtroom to demonstrate moral support for Budanov as the sentence was announced.

Interesting background info from http://www.worldpress.org/Europe/921.cfm. Date: Jan 30, 2002 - thus, immediately after the first trial, in which Budanov was initially acquitted. I added paragraph headings to group the excerpts together:

Quote:
Mirror of a War

For nearly three years, Russian readers have been riveted by the arrest and trial of Yuri Budanov, a colonel charged in the kidnapping and murder of Kheda "Elza" Kungaeva, an 18-year-old Chechen girl. His case has mirrored Russians' understanding of themselves and the second Chechen war. Right-wing Russians have sought to portray him as a patriot in an unpopular war, while Chechens have viewed his prosecution as a test of whether federal authorities are capable of upholding the rule of law in their country.

Although the details of the murder remain in dispute, there is no question that Budanov strangled Kungaeva in the Chechen village of Tangi-Chu in March 2000. Kungaev's family charges that the girl was dragged from her home at night, raped, and murdered by Russian soldiers on a drinking binge. Budanov says he killed Elza Kungaeva in a rage while interrogating her as a suspected sniper.

This past December, a military court in Rostov-on-Don found Budanov not guilty by reason of insanity and ordered that he undergo compulsory psychiatric care. "The court basically recognized that Budanov is the same sort of war victim as the woman who died at his hands," commented Yelena Stroiteleva in the centrist newspaper Izvestiya (Jan. 4). [..]

[reaction of Russian authorities]

Early on, Russian authorities sent mixed messages about the Budanov case. Minister of Defense Sergei Ivanov echoed the rhetoric of Russian nationalists, declaring that Budanov was not a criminal but "a victim of circumstances and our legislative shortcomings." The minister added that "as a human being he sympathized" with the former tank commander. Similarly, Army Gen. Vladimir Shamanov - now the governor of Ulyanovsk Oblast, on the Volga - expressed words of praise for Budanov and disparaged Kungaeva: "She wasn't just a girl but a sniper, an enemy, who took the life of more than one of my officers."

Soon after Budanov's arrest, however, Anatoli Kvashin, chief of Russia's General Staff, went on television to denounce Kungaeva's killing after meeting with President Vladimir Putin. He described Budanov as "scum that has to be removed by the root from the army collective." [..]

[Finding of rape disappeared from autopsy report]

A draft autopsy report obtained by Kungaeva's family said that the victim had been raped, a circumstance that would undermine Budanov's defense that he had acted in a fit of rage. The final report, however, made no mention of rape, and no charge of sexual assault was brought against Budanov.

In court testimony in 2001, the medical examiner, Vladimir Lyanenko, neither disputed nor repudiated his initial findings. He declined to comment on the question of rape and did not discuss the discrepancy between the draft and final report. [..]

[Popular support for Budanov]

A week or so before the court's verdict, which had been leaked to the public, a group of citizens from the city of Rostov decided to nominate Budanov to the local assembly, or Duma. "As one of the initiators noted, the time had finally come to replace the parasites among the ranks of deputies with normal people," wrote Vadim Dubnov in the Dec. 22 liberal weekly Novoye Vremya. "Budanov for President" was the sarcastic headline in the reformist Novye Izestiya on Dec. 17.

"To condemn Budanov means to spit into the face of the Russian army, while to justify him means to offend Chechens. That is the dilemma," wrote Litvinovich [of the communist Web site Pravda].

[Critical Novye Izvestiya commentary]

In an item headlined "The Insane Country," Valeri Yakov of the reformist Novye Izvestiya failed to see the dilemma Litvinovich described : [..] "Everything surrounding this sensational affair might be considered a bit of theater, theater of the absurd, performed by a small troupe of unsuccessful actors. But sadly, there is no sense of theater here. A huge number of people with the trappings of power have tried quite seriously and consciously to clean Budanov's soiled cap and, by all available means, to create a heroic image for him."

Yakov added: "Now they are trying to persuade us that in demanding a severe sentence for citizen Budanov, we will bring into disrepute the Russian officer class and destroy the army's moral spirit. Thus, it is not Budanov the rapist and murderer who will dishonor the officer corps but those who reproach him: not a regimental commander, who beats his subordinates, who rapes and kills peaceful citizens, who destroys the army's moral spirit, but those who draw attention to this. This is the mad logic of the insane country. [..]

<applauses for that last paragraph - and for the new verdict, that at least suggests a shimmer of hope for a slightly less "insane country" to-be>.
0 Replies

Docent P

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2003 02:59 am
>And I must congratulate you on your English.

Thank you very much. I will be very grateful if you inform me about my the most extremal grammar mistakes by a PM (if only you don't find it too hard).

>But from what little I know it seems to me that the situation in Chechyna is being exploited by criminal and religious extremists

I'd rather say the FSB is exploiting criminals and religious extremists in their fight on Chechnya.
------------------------------
>Twenty years ago, the Chechnyan conflict would have been filed away as an "insurrection against Communist rule by desperate means". Ten years ago, it would have been mentally put in the category, "repressed ethnic minority revolts against national (or imperialistic) state". Right now, on the other hand, the image of Muslim insurrectionists touting guns, or Muslim women seemingly ready to die for their beliefs, evokes only Al-Qaeda and the "war on terror".

I'd rather say it has been a war against anti-Communist rebellion and is remaining it now. Just a little detail: the main district of Grozny had been called Leninsky until 1991 (every city in the Soviet Union obligatory had to have a Leninsky (biggest) and an Oktyabrsky (second after biggest) - named after the October Revolution - districts). Dudaev renamed it to Aftorkhanovsky, after the name of the famous writer, scientist and anti-Communist dissident (his book Partocracy became known in the West once). The first thing the Federals did having captured Grozny in 1995 was renaming the district back to Leninsky. After the rebels retook the city in 1996 the district became Avtorkhanovsky again and had been so until 2000. Now every official TV channel is always underlining this title - "Leninsky prospect", "Leninsky district etc." - if it needs to mention them. Other symbols are red flags with sickles and hammers everywhere (officially the Army got the Red flag with yellow 2 headed eagle, but actually no soldiers pay their attention to such a detail, they put on the flags their lovely yellow red star, sickle and hammer instead) and slogans on the APCs - "lets clean Ichkeria, in the method of Beria (Stalin's chief of the NKVD)".

>Hate to jab at you there, Docent, but the "European People's Party" is the umbrella party for the Christian-Democrats and affiliated Conservatives in the EU.

I'm sorry.
---------------------------------
>It seems Russian politics can still be a very dangerous game. But it can be dangerous anywhere...ask the wife and family of Dr David Kelly,

My favourite writer, Victor Suvorov, also recommended Putin to kill himself as the only way to take off the shame. But of course Putin is absolutely uncomparable with Kelly.

Kelly found his report as an indirect reason for the Iraqian War. - Putin is the main person who started the war for his own re-election.
Kelly had no rights to send the British troops to anywhere, and so he couldn't take responsibility for it. - Putin personally ordered the troops to cross the Chechen borders - and he publicly admitted this.
The War on Iraq costed a couple of dozens of killed Britishes. - Putin's war on Chechnya has costed more than 250,000 killed civilians + more than 50,000 killed federals + more than 10,000 killed rebels + the wave of terror everywhere in Russia.
The War on Iraq besides problems has brought up some benefits for the UK, friendship with the USA, oil resources etc. - The Chechen War has produced (and will produce then) nothing but losses, spends and failures in the all aspects of Russian national policy.

And unlike Kelly, Putin is full of happiness - he is building new palaces, travelling over the world, awarding his generals and ministers, and cheerfully joking everyday in his TV speeches...
--------------------------------
> have only two problems with the summary. The first is that I'm afraid that, even if it should be true, most people simply won't believe it

Yes, I agree. To admit one day that Putin is crazy maniac able to explode his own citizens and organize the raid on Nord-Ost means to admitt that he is also able to make a nuke strike on the USA (which is not rather more immoral, isn't it? ). I'm not an expert of psychology but IMHO this is something like a psychological defence. It would be hard to live under the constant danger of armageddon so people prefer not to see these unpleasant facts. Like it happened during the Cold War, when many Americans used to believe to the myth that the Soviet Union is usual peaceful country and has no other aims but to build happy life for it's citizens. All opposite evidences were supposed to be the "Cold War paranoia".

>catch myself at that reaction, too. In America, there are still people who believe 9/11 was not the work of Al-Qaeda - that, instead, it was staged by the American government,

It's interesting that in Russia there was almost the opposite situation - so called Moscow sindrome which means: "we are electing you, Vova, but please, don't explode us evermore" (concrerning the famous explosions of the dwelling buildings in Sep 99). Soon after the explosions there were organized so called "people pickets" - local civilians together with militiamen were patrolling their houses and surrounding yards. One evening I saw in a cafe my friend, a militiaman, who had (as I had been informed) to guard a building nearby this night. I told him: "what are you doing here? what if the terrorists are planting the explosives right now?". He answered: "It will never happen. A KGB general lives in my building."

>Of course, it is different in Russia - even if it's just because there's such a blatant precedent: the murder of Leningrad Party leader Kirov by the NKVD

So we may start from the attempt of assassination of Lenin in 1918. But "Democratic Russia" has it's own not less impressive experience - just remember the action in Moscow in October, 1993: after an Alpha ("mistakenly" according to the officials) made an RPG shot to the Ostankino TV center, the guarding soldiers responded with heavy fire on the crowd of defenceless citizens. In result more than 400 deaths and Yeltsin in the charge of an authoritarian regime.

>...to inspire a thousand Chechen kamikaze terrorists - wholly independent from how the FSB might or might not work to manipulate them.

Yes, there are some desperate revenger not linked either to the FSB or to the Resistance or to anyone else. For example about a year ago in Urus-Martan a Chechen woman bought a couple of grenades from a Federal soldier and exploded herself near General Gadzhiev killing him. Before it the general (famous by his extremal sadism and personal participation in tortures) had arrested and brutally killed her husband and brother. Such actions are usually directed on a concrete person.
-----------------------------
>The minister added that "as a human being he sympathized" with the former tank commander. Similarly, Army Gen. Vladimir Shamanov - now the governor of Ulyanovsk Oblast,

My wish to Budanov - to get to a chamber together with usual criminals. Rapist and especially rapist-killers are hated and despised very much by the "right thieves" and their treatment to such guys like Budanov will be so nice Very Happy , that I don't advise anyone to see it by his eyes.

And about Shamanov - after his unsuccesful and very bloody military career in Chechnya he became the governor of the Ul'anovsk region. The results: problems with electricity, problems with heating in winter, the growth of the communal service's prices. In response local people organized pickets and blocked a highway. At the time Shamanov was relaxing (like for the most of his governance period) in his new-built luxury villa in Spain. To clear the highway he ordered by phone to lead heavy trucks on the crowd. 2 protesters were killed.
------------------------------

And some good news, former KGBist Mikhail Trepashkin, who dislosed the links between Abubakar and the FSB, was released several weeks ago and now he has his own Internet page and has sent messages to many Internet news agencies. The messages describe are about his own case and also contain new interesting facts about the FSBist terrorism. Some of the info look very nice. I'll post the most interesting stuff of them once I have time.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 7 Jan, 2004 06:58 pm
On Chechnyan mores and the pitfalls of standard-issue "war reporting": a slightly quaint, but thought-provoking enough article: Dreams of authenticity: war, TV, and the Chechen mask.

Can we feel solidarity with victims only if they behave in victim-like manner? Can we only feel sympathy - or even just focus our attention long enough - if the images from the scene are phrased in ways that we can immediately recognize and/or categorize? And how do the Chechnyans cope?

Quote:
Two kinds of violation

[..] The camera zooms in on the black, burst rear of a headless corpse, giving an impression almost of penetration. "Yes, that's it." Cut.

Your colleagues have already raced through Afghanistan, Lebanon and Bosnia. Their attitude to corpses is relaxed. They do not care that to the Chechens, the dead are more sacred than anything else. During the bombardments many Chechen women and men jumped out of the shelters and risked their lives to bury their exposed dead.

The naked backside of a corpse flashes around the world. It sums up the humiliation of a culture where exposure of certain body parts is taboo. [..] The occupiers' relaxed attitude to nudity and the choice of TV images they make adds to the violation of the dignity of this small mountain people. [..]

A censorship of pity The gulf between us

There's a catch to all of the above, though.

It is written, personal reflection-style, by the woman reporter who acted as translator and guide for the crew. She herself is Slovak, though. Throughout her reflections she claims to have the more intimate understanding of the Chechens, lamenting the gulf that will forever hamper the Western visitors from understanding: "I wonder if our television crew was ever really there." But what about the image she sketches of the Chechens, by ways of alternative?

She mocks the director, who wants sentimental, indivualised suffering, of the kind a Westerner will recognize as his own, or at least from TV. In turn, however, one could suspect she herself also cultivates a romanticized, kitschified perception. The quote she keeps for "broadcasting" starts with, "We are a mountain people." And on it goes, throughout the article: "this tenacious people", "the dignity of this small mountain people", "the collective Chechen soul". Chechens are different. They live differently, they feel differently. Their lives revolve around honour and history and sacrifice - a mountain people's values. It is a familiarly exoticist image, last heard in Serbia, in Afghanistan.

But in many places where the struggle is tough and cameras are rare, people are trained, by social control if nothing else, to speak in the "we" form, speak for all of their people who are never heard. People gather around and the interview turns into an impromptu speech. That does not mean that underneath, there are not the same feelings, the same individualised fear or grief. Brezna (who, I understand, bravely risked her life to report about Chechnya from deep within) undoubtedly knows a lot. But perhaps the director was a little right, too, to want to dig beyond that. The truth is more likely to be in the middle, or more probably, away from the projections of either Swiss or Slovak spectators.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 27 Mar, 2007 03:00 pm
An update about the Chechen resistance - how many are left? And is the number decreasing, increasing or just fluctuating?

Low-level hostilities seem set to increase, and affect the Urals and Volga region as well. But at the same time the remaining Chechen fighters seem to be fragmenting organisationally.

Quote:
Chechnya: Little Value In Estimates Of Chechen Resistance

March 23, 2007
RFE/RL

Russian Deputy Interior Minister Colonel General Arkady Yedelev recently announced his latest estimates for the number of resistance fighters still active in Chechnya: 450, subdivided into 37 separate groups.

Those figures, provided during a press conference in Grozny on March 19, contradict earlier statistics cited by the Russian military and Interior Ministry. They also differ from estimates from the Chechen resistance leadership, which admits that not all groups of fighters are still under its direct control.

Fluctuating Figures

Yedelev's figure of 37 militant bands is down from his estimate of just six weeks earlier [when] he gave the same total -- 450 men -- but estimated the number of individual groups at 46.

Two months before that, the resistance website kavkazcenter.com cited Colonel General Nikolai Rogozhkin, commander of the Interior Ministry forces, as estimating the number of Chechen resistance fighters at between 800-1,000.

And in early November 2006, the commander of the Group of Federal Forces in the North Caucasus, Colonel General Yevgeny Baryayev, was cited by kommersant.ru as providing a figure of 700.

It can be expected that the number of resistance fighters is likely to vacillate as a result of combat losses, but there are no indications that the resistance is short of volunteers.

In April 2006, then-Chechen Republic Ichkeria Vice President Doku Umarov told RFE/RL's North Caucasus in a long interview that more young men seek to join the resistance than can be accepted into its ranks, in light of limited funding available. He said only the toughest candidates -- those who can withstand the bitter cold of the mountains in winter -- are accepted.

Umarov, who in line with the Chechen Republic Ichkeria Constitution adopted in March 1992 became president after the death in June 2006 of Abdul-Khalim Sadulayev, repeated in a recent interview with the Ukrainian nationalist publication "Banderivets" that the number of would-be recruits constitutes "a huge problem for us" since "we cannot provide all of them with weapons." [..]

Autonomous Resistance

But whereas in 2006 Umarov expressed regret that those not accepted into the ranks of the resistance have no choice but to leave Chechnya, he said in the recent address that "many young Muslims, both in Ichkeria and in other regions of the Caucasus [and also in Russia] are organizing themselves into military jamaats and acting autonomously."

In other words, the days when the North Caucasus resistance -- and its offshoots in the Volga and Urals -- constituted a single unified force that reported to, and coordinated its activities with, the Chechen War Council, appear to be over.

The emergence of autonomous fighting forces is likely to herald an intensification of hostilities, possibly over a larger geographical area than in the past. But it could create problems for the Chechen "core" of the resistance if Umarov and his supporters find themselves in competition for financial donations from Muslims in Russia and abroad.

The emergence of autonomous jamaats could also impel Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) to try to co-opt their less experienced members in a "false flag" recruitment with the aim of either infiltrating and destroying the Chechen War Council headed by Umarov, or tasking them with committing acts that could undermine the Chechen cause.

Nor is the emergence of autonomous jamaats the only factor likely to affect the ongoing low-level fighting. In his interview with "Banderivets," Umarov admitted that the killing in 2006 of both Sadulayev and radical field commander Shamil Basayev negatively affected the timing and nature of subsequent military operations. And, he said, as a result of those losses (and possibly also of the death of field commander Sultan Khadisov in September 2006), the resistance has decided to switch tactics.

New Tactics

Umarov spoke in greater detail of those changes in his recent address, explaining that "we have reorganized some military structures. Plans have been revised, tactics have been changed, communications and coordination between individual groups of modjaheds, and between fronts and sectors, have been strengthened. The past autumn and winter were given over to large-scale preparatory work.... The activities of the Volga and Urals fronts are taking off."

In short, the periodic estimates by Russian officers of the strength of the remaining resistance forces in Chechnya are largely irrelevant in light of the military flexibility and ideological commitment of the North Caucasus resistance, the influx of volunteer fighters, and the expansion of hostilities.
0 Replies