MS Outlook Distribution List

Urbane

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:25 am
Hi,

I’m hoping someone can offer assistance with respect to a feature in MS Outlook. I’m in the process of compiling an e-mail list of over 500 names and e-mail addresses. Honestly this is not spam – it is work related. In the contacts module of MS Outlook there is a feature called a Distribution List. I would like to import my contact names and corresponding e-mail addresses into a distribution list instead of entering each name and address as a separate contact.

Can I compile a list in MS Excel, Word or Notepad and import this data into a distribution list in MS Outlook? I’m familiar with the import/export functionality within Outlook but I can’t seem to be able to do this. Of course, I have to manually enter the information anyways but it would be way easier to compile a list and import it.

Can anyone offer any suggestions or tricks to make this simpler? I don’t have any experience with .vcf or .pst files.

Thanks in advance to those who are willing to help. Have a good day.

Mike - Montreal
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 842 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:38 am
Hmmm. Not directly to a Distribution List but...

Open Outlook.
Select "Import and Export".
Then select "Import file from another program"
Select which program the file is from (Excel is one option but if you create the file in Wordpad or notepad you just need to put commas between each field and then save the file in plain text format.)

Once you select the file to import from you should get a box that allows you to match the fields in your file to the fields in Outlook. You complete that and then click the "Finish" button and it will read your file and create the Outlook contacts.

Once you have all the info in Outlook you select "File" "New", "Distribution List".
Give your list a name and then click on the "Select members" button - outlook with display everyone in your address book.
You can add anyone you want to be on the list by highlighting their name and clicking the "ADD ->" button.
0 Replies

Urbane

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 01:38 pm
Thank Fishin
Hi Fishin,

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. I will try your suggestions. No way around the manual data entry but once i have all the contacts in Outlook, it will be easy add them to the distribution list.

Have a great weekend.

Mike
0 Replies