Tennis Racket Help

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 06:59 am
I am thinking of buying a Venus & Serena junior tennis racket. it's lightweight, standard 'net' part (what's that part called?) and a shortened handle. What's the "junior" in reference too? skill? person's size?

What's your experience w/ tennis rackets and what should I look for in a good one? (keeping the price down...no more than 25 bucks...this is just recreation for me....

I would have put this in my "play with me" thread, but I wanted to be sure it would be seen, and therefore, responded to. Razz
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,951 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:06 am
From what I can tell, "junior" tennis racquets are sized for kids. So, unless you are rather short, you are probably better off with a full sized racquet.

http://www.epinions.com/content_122155863684

Quote:
The Venus & Serena racquets come in three different sizes:

21 inches for ages 5 and under

23 inches for ages 6-8

25 inches for ages 9-12

By age 12 they should be ready for a 27 inch standard adult racquet.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:11 am
thanks.. i'll get the other one that i was thinking about then..... but does 5'1" count as rather short? lol
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:15 am
When I was a younger, junior tennis racquets were the same size, but had smaller grips. Been many years so I don't know if that's changed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:23 am
Onyx- Reading further, I think that you need to get an adult racquet. Ask in the store, if they have a good one for beginners!

We are about the same height. That is NOT SHORT, it is vertically challenged! Laughing
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 02:52 pm
Junior tennis racquets are shorter, lighter and not as robust.
Ask your shop assistant for advice (presuming you're not looking in Wal-mart or similar). A fellow I work with just bought a cheap Prince racquet - and he's had tennis elbow for the first time. The racquet is just not suitable for his style of play. Mind you, I'm not sure what you'll get for $25 - here, nothing.
<I have tennis elbow again, though, despite considerable care taken in choosing a racquet, having it strung especially for me, by someone who used to coach me. I injured my arm elsewhere, and it caused the tennis elbow to flare up. Pfoooey!>
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 07:07 pm
margo, that's a bit too involved for me. I just want to learn to play and have a smack at it a few times a month I guess...maybe more if I like it.

As a matter of fact, I did look in walmart, which is where I saw Wilson, Prince, V&S and a few other brands. I know the whole walmart conglomerate destroying the little stores & employing cheap labor by being cheap coporate bastards....but i'm living on a budget, and all in once place shopping suits me fiiiiine.

now then...I was also looking online, but I am not spending $50.00 on a tennis racket, I can't justify for my purposes (there were some more than that at Walmart btw). I think I'll get the Wilson one I saw....around 25 bucks.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 05:58 pm
I found (and purchased) a light-weight titanium Wilson tennis racket.

I love it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:06 pm
Not into tennis at all, onyxelle, but after considerable trial and error, I like the Prince "tire tread" wrap the best - different application, but the same principle. Good traction, without feeling mushy.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:25 pm
why so much trial & error if you don't like tennis so much Rog?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 09:59 pm
But I do a lot of walking. With a big stick. It gets sweaty in the summer. Actually, the Prince wraps are on my rowing machine.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 12:30 am
Roger

I seem to recall this conversation ages back!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 10:02 am
Yeah, there used to be a chat room attached to the ravensrealm, didn't there.
0 Replies