IN PRAISE OF OUR CANINE FRIENDS

timberlandko

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 08:32 pm
Among The Puppies there usually is a "Foster Dog" or two. We accept essentially "Unadoptable" dogs from the local shelter; these generally have been abused and have little trust for either humans or other critters. Often, months pass before a "Foster Dog" is ready to become a big part of a family of his or her own. Some are more challenging than others, but when they leave, they know the rules, and know the world is not filled with enemies and other unpleasant things. We have some involvement with helping the pup to choose that family. That makes it easier to say "Farewell" to a wet-nosed freind, and rewarding to develop new ones.

timber
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 09:20 am
Our little darling doggie Nikkei left us for another place on November 15th, 2002 at 7 pm and neither my wife or I can get over it.

We loved her to bits, she slept in our bed, she went everywhere with us, we didn't go on foreign holidays for the 16 years she graced us with her presence and I miss her so much.

She was the sort of dog that everyone would stop and pat and talk to us about. She had a major stroke almost 3 years ago and in her incerdibly strong way recovered almost to as good as before although she had lost some hearing and sight in at least one eye.

Virtually every minute of our day was spent with her-when I worked from home-which has been 3 days a week for the last year she would be sleeping right here next to me as I type this.

My mum and dad passing hurt, this is something else -can anyone understand that or do you think I have flipped ?

My wife is worse than me and Prozac (anti-depressant) did not help, people have been kind, no one knows the hurt inside that us pet lovers know-its like a large part of me died with her.

We buried her close by in our garden and are going to make a little garden of remembrance for her.

We go for walks where we used to take her, all the places we used to take her seem empty and life is not the same without her.

Sorry for the lament, it has helped to write about it.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 09:23 am
Big hugs to you and your wife, hiama. I'm so sorry for your loss. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 09:55 am
Hiama-Isn't that the way? Two months later and you're still in mourning. I'm really sorry. We lost our beloved Pan almost a year ago. After a couple of months we got two more chows to try and fill up the holes in our hearts. It has worked... sort of, but there is a difference between the love of a mature animal and the goofiness of puppies. I still desperately miss my dog and can't believe I'll never see her again. You and your wife have my sincere sympathy. It is just not fair that these great animals have such short lifespans.

I love a dog willing to sleep nearby while I work. So peaceful. But the best is when they think an excursion is about to happen. I believe that dogs have the ability to think ahead and I reinforce that by "talking-up" plans that include them.

On the belief that planning a trip is as much fun as the trip itself... we have KEY words. My dogs know about GOing in the car and the BEach, and the AIRport where we walk. When I tell them they're GOing in the car to the AIRport and ask if any PUPpies want to GO, they become a swirling mass of dogs at my feet. They answer my talk with delighted yips. I may keep up the conversation for five minutes while I'm getting ready, all about the fun we're going to have and they are so happy... running to the door, saying, "Yes, Yes, Yes." Coming back to me... "Where are YOU?"

They know the routine... poor human must wear SHOES AND SOCKS... quick find the shoes... and where's the LEASHes? It is when they have leashes on and it is absolutely TRUE that we're going. A calm, a happy calm, descends on the pack for a moment.

And then we're out the door!

Timberlandko -- I love it when you talk dogs. The urgent "alert" bark is so typical!!! Having the two girl dogs together has given me a lot of insight into pack behavior. The relationship of dogs with each other is a delight to them, as Beth mentioned. It was a person on a-buzz who told me I should "get" both sisters and not leave one behind. I thank the spirits of all dogs that I did. I highly recommend it. Two are more trouble than one, but also a lot more fun and they keep themselves occupied. I love it.

Peace & Love -- I haven't heard the Mickey story either. It's worth the telling and retelling. Don't hold back!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 09:57 am
Rae -- do you get to take her on excursions? For weekends?
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:00 am
No, I don't, Piffka. And I'm not sure why now! Gonna have to ask the ex about this!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:04 am
Oh, hiama, I'm so sorry.

There's just something about the loss of a beloved pet. Don't know how to describe it. Is it because they are so utterly dependent upon us? Because they never really grow out of it? Because they are a near-daily presence for years?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:21 am
Rae? Yay! Maggie come home!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:23 am
Just got off the phone with the ex, and he thinks I'm even loonier than I was while we were married. But he has agreed to let me take Maggie! (He was still laughing when he hung up the phone.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:35 am
Oh my gosh. You're kidding? How great!! How great!!!

Loonie?? Huh? Hurumph...........

(Now I think I'm gonna tear up a little. I'm so happy for you.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 02:04 pm
That is good news, Rae. Moments with our doggie friends are so important. For all members of the pack.

hiama, i recall you writing about Nikkei being by your side as you wrote. You truly made her a known presence. I could hear and see her. I wish i knew why it is particularly painful for us to lose our canine companions. It is.

I will add a thought for Nikkei when i do my Monday night Rainbow Bridge candle lighting.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 03:39 pm
Now all I have to do is convince Ma that it would be a treat for Maggie to visit us next weekend! Then there's Paddy to consider.....
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 04:57 pm
Well, after the back paw scratching you said he did... it may be time for a little feline disappointment! I'm sure your ma won't mind... will she???
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 06:31 pm
hiama, welcome. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. There is only one remedy I know of, and it takes time. Here's the prescription: Take one puppy, apply as needed. It won't change the fact a freind has gone on, but a new freind will provide a new set of joys, contentments, and memories. I think the best way to honor a departed pet is to offer another all the love and care we can lavish.

I recall the sense,if not the exact words, of an old saying of some famous sage; "We are fortunate the life of dogs is short as it is; how much greater would be our grief on their passing if we knew them longer?"

Rae, that's great news!!! Be sure to give Maggie a good beard-tickle from me! Tell her I said "YARK! Woof, woof, woofwoofwoof!" She'll understand.

Piffka, thanks. I love to "Talk Dogs". I just plain love the way dogs love back. And while two may be more attention consuming than one, six or eight are very little more hassle than two ... if you have the room. And, if you really enjoy observing, and being part of, "Pack Dynamics" .....

timber
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 06:35 pm
You guys are making me so impatient for next weekend! I am going to spoil Maggie to pieces!
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 06:38 pm
Piffka ~ Ma has always loved Maggie, so I don't think it'll take much to convince her for the 'visitation'.....Paddy, on the other hand.....

In Maggie's defense.....she dry-nursed my cat, Buddy, when he first came home because he was insistant and she didn't have anything better to do! Maggie loves cats. Absolutely loves them.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 08:04 pm
Yay, Rae. Yay, Maggie. I am so happy for you! Paddy will manage, don't you think?

Timber -- What a great quote and so true. You're tempting me with dreams of more puppies -- a full-sized dog pack, just what I need! I do think sometimes a male dog would be good to keep these girls in line, but alas, it's not likely to happen.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:17 pm
A male dog to keep the girls in line? hmmmmmm, in the packs i've been on the fringe of, the girldogs have been the line in the sand-drawers and maintainers. Maybe they were all alpha females?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 10:32 pm
Poppy loves to boss around the big male lab, "Simba," who lives by the bay, but then she goes off with him all by herself. Most of the time Penny stays behind with us. Simba likes me a lot and comes over whenever I drive in the driveway... but he remains on the fringes until Poppy says it is OK. (She does the lip curled, teeth showing behavior at first.) Then he gets a little lovin' from me before they're off on their "date." It seems healthy to me that they have other dog friends besides themselves.

Chow lore says you can bring a male into a group much easier than a female. I'm sure it has to do with theories of alpha female behavior. For now, Simba and another male dog at the bay are all the "pack" that I want to deal with even though I love lots of dogs.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 11:12 pm
Piffka, we have noticed introducing a new female can be a little more exiting than a new male ... and breed doesn't seem to be a consideration. It seems to me females can be a little warier, more skittish, than males. Male dogs and puppies of either gender pretty much catch on to the seniority system and blend in with little human intervention. Adult females take a while longer to realy assimilate into "The Pack", and may require considerable direction and encouragement. We try to make a big deal of not fostering feelings of neglect or replacement in the other dogs with any new introduction. Jealousies and rivalries are frequent, and need to be watched. We pretty much let The Puppies manage their own social affairs, put we do not put up with fighting. That's a Kennalable Offense, and even newcommers quickly realize justice is swift and inevitable. Objectionable rowdiness in the pack is often stilled with a shout of "Who wants to get kennelled?"

timber
0 Replies