I'll be in NYC on the 27th and 28th

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 09:16 am
So, were there any survivors from last evening?
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 04:04 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Yes, Andy is right! Tak is quite agreeable in person, just in the privacy of his own home he gets gutsy and belligerent (sometimes) Smile

Yeah, but Lucy soon puts her foot down. Smile
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 04:06 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

So, were there any survivors from last evening?

They're all still sleeping it off, I'll bet.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 07:15 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Hi All, The meet went very well. I believe that the "good guy" message got through because the first thing Frank did was to give me a hug. Not only that, but Frank also treated me to a welcome drink. It was all uphill from there. The conversation was interesting and participatory - with a rib here and there between Joe(really interesting)Nation, Frank, and Tzar. I asked which show they would recommend, and The Mormons was suggested. I was thinking of doing the 9/11 Memorial, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, and top it off with a show, but by the time finished at the 9/11 Memorial and the walked to the Met from 57th Street to 82nd Street and walking inside it, my 79 year old body told me to call it a day.

I had dinner at a Zagat rated restaurant in the neighborhood, and returned to my room. It's now past 9pm, so I'm going to finish packing for my trip home.

The cruise from Copenhagen to Norway to Iceland to Scotland to Ireland to Canada and finally to NYC in 17 days were educational, rewarding and worth the big dent to my cash balance.

So, until next time.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 07:22 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Good to hear you all managed to meet and talk.

I've always enjoyed my visits to New York and time with JoeNation and Frank. The Tsar is on my must-meet list.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 07:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Also glad for the good meetup.

Frank, did you survive your early sunday wake up time?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 03:20 am
Hey all...first time I've had a chance to get on-line since the meet. Work and football yesterday!

For the record, Tak is truly a great guy. Fit, trim, intelligent, witty and a pleasure to talk with. He makes 79 look like the new 60. I can understand why Andy mentioned that he could "guarantee" that we would all like him.

I'm really sorry that the meet had to be held on a "school night" but the early morning wake up meant that our time together was short. It was, however, enjoyable to the max. I hope the few pictures taken are posted.

The trip back to Penn Station was also interesting. It is always interesting to travel by subway with Joe when he has had a 3 Scotch night. The travelling bongo band in the car we were in was apparently a group he knew for years and years...and although I think Joe's pole dance was a good addition to their efforts, I am sure the woman he kicked with that final whip-around movement had her doubts. Whew...can he can be a handful when he is buzzed.

Anyway...Tak...that was a major pleasure to finally meet you. I hope we manage another get-together before long. (Considering our age, I guess it has to be "before long!)
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 03:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
By the way, Tak...remember we were meeting in The Big Apple.

The hug as we parted company was actually a hug. The "hug" at the beginning was just a pat down.

Wanted to make sure you were not packing heat!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2014 04:46 am
I'm not sure who threw the first punch, we should ask Tzar, he was holding Frank's coat. By the time I had turned back around from looking at the three women passing by our table, the bartender, Dana, a gal with more muscles than either Frank or C.I., was already slugging one of them on the back of his neck.
"I'm only trying to HUG you!" Frank was screaming.
"Well, try doing it without the closed fists!!" CI yelled back.
"Seen any good movies lately?" I asked Tzar. I was used to this sort of thing with Frank around, Tzar not so much.
"Hey,,,,hey" he said helpfully.
There was a whirl of white hair and a cloud of cocktail mix dust.

~~
None of the above really happened.
I did know the drum group on the A train. Four guys, really good, I'm pretty sure I've seen them on weekend ride several times over the past 19 years I've been in NYC.
Yes, three scotches. When you are with three very generous guys, you are not allowed to be ungrateful.
CI is a wonderful person to meet in person. It was a great night.

Joe(too short, but great)Nation
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 09:14 am
@Joe Nation,
I'm still editing my blog and pictures, but I thought some of you would like to see our 'group' meet at the hotel bar.
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag215/Tak_Nomura/2014-09-28003_zps7e6bcf74.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 11:43 am
What a motley crew.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 11:52 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

CI is a wonderful person to meet in person. It was a great night.

Seconding this appraisal of CI. Twas indeed a wonderful night for drinks and conversation.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 12:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hey, what a beautiful group picture. The four of you are simply oh so handsome! I am saving this picture for my archive. Joe Nation, you look exactly the way I had always pictured you. Frank Apisa's picture appearing in his profile has always struck me as quite dapper. Tzar reminds me of my favorite English teacher with his amiable, unassuming gentle face. CI, you do not look your stated age, but more one in his early 60s.

The picture, imo, is one of four very highly intelligent, humane and decent men. I'm fortunate to have made your acquaintance even if it's just on line.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 04:58 pm
@Moment-in-Time,
Come off it, MiT, Compliments are appreciated, but I'm an old man beginning to suffer from what ails old men like me! As the saying goes, getting old is not for sissies.

But, I really appreciate the part about
Quote:
four very highly intelligent, humane and decent men.
That one made my day! And thanks.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 06:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
I bet it was.

Thanks for the photo, I saved it.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 07:07 pm
And they served you guys liquor without checking IDs?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 08:36 pm
@cicerone imposter,
What a great looking group! And all of you do look happy and as though you were enjoying each other's company. That's wonderful to see. I'm so glad you were able to have a meet-up, and thanks for sharing the photo.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2014 09:25 pm
@firefly,
Got most of my unpacking, laundry, and meals done, so I guess it's time to post a tickler to see who would like to have another San Francisco Meet. Joe(is interested)Nation said he'll come, but we need to get some folks join us. I'll even play driver-sort of guide to some interesting Northern California 'touristy sites.'
What we need are some dates that will fit the most people. I'll be traveling at the end of November and from the second week of January, but all else is pretty much open for now. The sooner we can set a date would be very helpful for 'you know who.' I like to make travel plans at least four months in advance, so most of 2015 is still open.

Like Frank said, it's gotta be sooner than later.

0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 09:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Quote:
Come off it, MiT, Compliments are appreciated, but I'm an old man beginning to suffer from what ails old men like me! As the saying goes, getting old is not for sissies...........That one made my day! And thanks.

Ah, CI, how I once misjudged you. Your manner may be combative at times but this is transparently who you are.....discerning, straightforward, plain speaking and to the point type of individual. There are times when when you've resorted to triviality in some responses, but these are merely human character flaws; overall, you are never intentionally cruel towards others, and I find your deep concern for minorities, the unfortunates, and the defenseless to be of a superior human quality. I appreciate your personality. If there were more posters like you, at least one would know where they stand and what to expect.

Ciao.....
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2014 10:25 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Things still move pretty fast when we reach more than a decade above retirement age. A retired prof from Tenn that I met on the Rhine & Mozel cruise last year called me yesterday to see if I'd be interested in a tour of Span and Portugal, so I said 'yes' because it's a pretty good deal. It'll be for 15 days from December 10th through the 25th. My last tour to Spain was in 1996, although I've visited Barcelona several times since then.

MiT, you are one of the few who has cracked the 'code' of who I am. My use of language is nothing compared to the violence of our country against others or my advocacy for all humans to have equality. Many of my regular travel companions use the same language, and many are professionals. Four years in the military also had its impact. My love for all peoples should be the clue that cements my personality. But, alas, that will not be from most of the people I run across on a2k. They miss my primary message of good will.

But, I'm no angel either.