justice is blind and 80 proof

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 05:10 am
NEW ORLEANS - An alcoholic judge was kicked off the bench Tuesday for repeatedly being drunk in the courtroom.
District Judge Monty L. Doggett issued arrest warrants when he was too drunk to read them, was sometimes so intoxicated that court had to be canceled and once had to be carried out of his courtroom by deputies, the Louisiana Supreme Court said in its unanimous ruling Tuesday.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 780 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 05:13 am
Why wasn't this guy given the heave-ho before this? It seems to me that a judge who comes into his courtroom drunk ONCE should be relieved of his position. It's almost as bad as when a surgeon does an operation drunk!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 05:18 am
well phoenix, this judge was elected by the people knowing he was an alcoholic therefore he served by popular mandate and it took an "activitist" state supreme court to remove him.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 05:56 am
Wow! I don't understand some people. I certainly would want a clear headed person on the bench if I were being accused of a crime. I wonder if any of his decisions that went against defendants could be overturned, on the basis that this man was drunk while in the courtroom?
0 Replies