Anti-Semitism and Racism in Europe

Fri 19 Sep, 2014 09:56 am
Partizan Belgrade vs Tottenham Hotspur: Mauricio Pochettino fury at Partizan fans' anti-Semitic banner

In an association football match in Belgrad Serbia, Partizan Belgrad fans held up a banner throughout the entire game that read "Only Jews and Pussies" that was directed at visiting squad, Tottenham Hotspurs, who are from England. The banner was a derogatory play on a logo from a popular British sitcom, "Only Fools and Horses." From what I can gather, officals at the game failed to confront the fans responsible.

It's pretty sobering that blatant racism like this and other incidences, like fans throwing bananas and mimicking apes at players of African descent, are par for the course throughout Europe.

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 20 Sep, 2014 01:14 am
@InfraBlue,
But they're so tres sophisticated...
contrex

Sat 20 Sep, 2014 03:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
But they're so tres sophisticated...

Football hooligans are anything but that. (What language is that remark supposed to be?)

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 20 Sep, 2014 10:28 am
@contrex,
Sarcasm
timur

Sat 20 Sep, 2014 10:47 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
No, it was ignorance and a pitiful attempt at irony..

Hooligans and racists at sports are only a tiny fringe of all fans in Europe.

Lots of them faced trial.
Finn dAbuzz

Sat 20 Sep, 2014 11:47 am
@timur,
Well thanks for putting me in my place timur.

Now go enjoy sucking on a lemon.
timur

Sat 20 Sep, 2014 11:52 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
I'm not the "sucker" kind...
contrex

Sat 20 Sep, 2014 12:18 pm
I am not sure what prompted the "tres sophisticated" attempt at "sarcasm".

Quote:
The first meeting in the American football rivalry between Brigham Young University and the University of Utah took place in April 1896, when BYU was known as Brigham Young Academy. The two schools disagree to this day as to whether this game was official, but it mattered greatly to the spectators—at the end of the game, the two sets of fans fought one another.

Quote:
On August 12, 1984, during a game between the Atlanta Braves and San Diego Padres that degenerated into a beanball war:[7]

At least five fans were dragged from the field at Atlanta–Fulton County Stadium in handcuffs after participating in a bench-clearing brawl.
One of the fans was charged with assault for throwing a full beer mug at the Padres' Kurt Bevacqua, hitting him in the head, as he was returning to the dugout.
The game ended with police riot squads on top of both dugouts in an obvious attempt to keep fans away from the players.

At the end of the same season, violence erupted outside of Tiger Stadium in Detroit after the Detroit Tigers defeated the Padres in the World Series. A well known photo from the riot shows a Tigers fan holding a World Series pennant in front of an overturned burning Detroit Police car.

Quote:
In 1998, Denver Broncos fans rioted in the streets of Denver after their team won Super Bowl XXXII. Near-riots happened when the team won the Super Bowl again the following year and after the Colorado Avalanche's Stanley Cup wins in 1996 and 2001.
A similar incident occurred in Oakland, California in 2003 when fans rioted and destroyed property after the Oakland Raiders lost to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in Super Bowl XXXVII.

Quote:
In June 2000, Los Angeles Lakers fans stormed the streets of Los Angeles after the Lakers victory over the Indiana Pacers in the 2000 NBA Finals. Fans briefly celebrated by starting bonfires, but it soon turned into a riot, with fans dancing and stomping on parked cars, and even turning a news van over

Quote:
In October 2004, fans of the Boston Red Sox rioted just outside of Fenway Park after the Red Sox won the American League Championship Series over the New York Yankees. Police used "pepper guns" in some cases and an Emerson College student, Victoria Snelgrove, was killed by a pepper filled paintball-like projectile which hit her in the eye.

Quote:
On November 19, 2004, near the end of an NBA game between the Indiana Pacers and Detroit Pistons, a brawl erupted between Pacers players and Pistons supporters.

Quote:
August 21, 2011 An assault victim and a shooting victim remain in serious condition after a violent night at Candlestick Park Saturday, according to officials at San Francisco General Hospital.

Three people were hospitalized after two men were found shot in the parking lot at around 8 p.m., and another man was beaten unconscious in a bathroom inside the stadium between 7:15 and 7:30 p.m.

The incidents happened during a preseason football game between the Oakland Raiders and the San Francisco 49ers.

Quote:
Football fans fight in the stands during the exhibition game between the 49ers and Raiders in San Francisco. After two men were shot and wounded following the game, the NFL and the mayors of the two cities jointly called for an end to "intimidation" and acts of violence at sporting events.

Finn dAbuzz

Sat 20 Sep, 2014 12:47 pm
@timur,
But you are the "sour" kind.
timur

Sat 20 Sep, 2014 12:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
If you think you are better..
Finn dAbuzz

Mon 22 Sep, 2014 08:09 pm
@timur,
Than what?

I made a wise-crack about Europeans which you, apparently, found so offensive that that you had to levy a personal attack.

I will have to keep it mind going forward that you regard yourself as Captain Europe.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Mon 22 Sep, 2014 08:23 pm
@contrex,
Gosh you guys have thin skin.

Of course America has it's share of sports hooligans, (Who claimed or even implied otherwise?) we're just not tres sophisticatos.

Now you're going to tell me that Europeans, generally, don't look down their noses a bit at Americans for being rubes and historical youngsters?

At least a lot of the ones in this forum do.

It is amusing though that while Infra-Blue makes a fairly sweepingly damning comment about Europe you and timur choose to make your peeve a simple wisecrack.

Quote:
It's pretty sobering that blatant racism like this and other incidences, like fans throwing bananas and mimicking apes at players of African descent, are par for the course throughout Europe.

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Tue 23 Sep, 2014 01:43 pm
I'm not saying that racist outbursts don't occur in the US. There are numerous incidences of fans abusing players and coaches, especially at basketball games where the audience tends to be closer to and more audible by the players and officials than at football stadiums, but they're quickly pounced on by security and thrown out of the arenas.

In the case of the Belgrade football match, it looks like the game officials and security did nothing to stop these fans displaying their racist banner. Maybe they thought a riot would ensue if they were to have intervened?
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 23 Sep, 2014 02:50 pm
I used to attend hockey games of the University of Illinois hockey club, which was not sponsored by the university, but which was allowed to use university facilities. There was a club team from Wisconsin which played there several times, and it included a black player. The U of I fans would make "ape noises," call him a money, and a few even called him n*gger. Security at the rink never did a damned thing about it.
0 Replies

nydia2013

Tue 14 Oct, 2014 09:54 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
(What language is that remark supposed to be?)

"tres" is French for "very."
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Wed 11 Feb, 2015 02:34 am
http://i.imgur.com/JQYTgbT.jpg

France, Paris: Police caught a Jewish man in the act spray painting the word "Juif" (Jew) in 20 cars

http://www.fdesouche.com/561743-paris-16e-des-voitures-taguees-dans-la-nuit-de-linscription-juif

0 Replies