The Guardian Suggests a way I agree with to handle Isis.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 12:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
WASHINGTON, Sept. 23 (UPI) -- For the first time since the U.S. withdrew from Iraq in 2011 the U.S. Army is preparing to deploy a division headquarters to Iraq.
The move comes as the U.S. is expanding the war against the Islamic State -- also known as ISIS or ISIL.

An official announcement is expected in the next few days.

Army Chief of Staff Ray Odierno has said the Army "will send another division headquarters to Iraq to control what we're doing there, a small headquarters."

The division headquarters being sent to Iraq is expected to be responsible for coordinating the 1,600 troops President Obama has sent there.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2014/09/23/US-Army-preparing-to-deploy-division-headquarters-to-Iraq/9641411524155/#ixzz3EXlaDITG

Divisional HQ run 500 troops normally, what " small headquarters is IDK but lets assume 400, which gets us up to 2000 active duty in Iraq.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 01:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Roughly 500 soldiers from the U.S. Army's 1st Infantry Division headquarters are headed to the Middle East, with 200 of them to end up in Iraq.

Read more: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/25/armys-big-red-one-hq-going-to-iraq-1st-infantry-di/#ixzz3EXrDvnJD
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter

Regardless, DOD is getting prepared for both a long war and to be ready to ramp up forces fast. The deployment order states that this is a one year deployment.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2014 01:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
This all makes me nauseous.

Unlike other occasions (see decades of recent history), I've no bright ideas of my own. No matter, they never listened to me anyway. (And yes, I knew my local legislators/congress people, some personally, some just introduced at some function).

The only idea I have is stop, and let IS self implode. They have money but also weak spots. Let people of the region deal with it. Except we battered the region. And, saying just stop is tantamount to letting massacres happen.

Or is it?
hingehead

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 09:18 pm
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/10/22/1414016938180/First-Dog-on-the-Moon-22.-014.jpg
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 09:50 pm
@hingehead,
The current story from DOD is that in this mission 28 pallets were dropped, ISIS got one, one was miss dropped and was destroyed by our forces, and the Kurds got 26. We shall see in the coming days if the story changes.
hingehead

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2014 09:51 pm
@hawkeye10,
Thanks for the heads up.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 02:58 am
So how is the fight going boys and girls?

These ISIS fighters are some brilliant mother fuckers.....they win battles out numbered more than 20 to 1, they hold on to territory needing only 2% of the personal the US Military needed when they did it, The only good equipment they have is what they can steal, they have US planes/satellites/ drones constantly on their asses, they have got all of the world except for Turkey trying and failing to keep money and labor from coming to them......and still they do just fine.

This might be a problem.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 03:38 am
@One Eyed Mind,
Quote:
We the people must own up to the fact that this mess was created by the U.S government.
Really ? What about the mess in Egypt, Libya, Algiers, Lebanon, Sudan, Yemen, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran...you get the idea...how about Iraq before, during Saddam ?

Islam itself is repressive . Great idea for the Middle Ages if you are tribal and live in a desert and ride camels, but hardly suitable for a modern nation, unless you have oil money and then watch what happens when that runs out, we will be doing this all over again.
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 03:39 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
saying just stop is tantamount to letting massacres happen
It certainly is that .
0 Replies