Sudden reversal of toolbars

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 03:37 pm
Suddenly, while I was typing away, the bars at the top of my Word window reversed themselves. Now File, Edit, View, etc. are on the bottom (not the bottom of the screen, just in the horizontal order at the top of the screen), icons for things like Print, Tables, New Blank Document, etc are in the middle, and menus that show Bold, Italic, Justify, etc. are on top. Rolling Eyes

I realize that in the greater scheme of things this hardly rates as major, but after all these years I am used to things being in a certain place, and now I find myself constantly clicking on the wrong buttons. Also, I don't like when something happens with no apparent reason. Confused

BTW, This happened a couple of days ago, so shutting down starting up again has obviously had no effect. I had hoped that restarting might do the trick, but no.

Does anyone know what might have caused this?

Does anyone have an idea how to get things back to normal?

My computer is HP Pavilion 9800, the monitor is a ViewSonic, the OS is XP Home, the software is Word 2000.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 539 • Replies: 6
No top replies

kev

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 03:47 pm
Hi Tomkitten,

I dont know whether your system works like my windows 98se, but what I do is right click on any part of the toolbar which is blank and when the box drops down select "customise" and you can move the icons where you want.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 03:53 pm
Right click and remove all extra toolbars (leave the regular ones).

Close the browser and reopen it.

Then add them back.

Then if they are out of place, rightclick and uncheck "lock the toolbars" drag 'em around to where you want and then lock the toolbars.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:30 pm
Craven - these aren't extra toolbars; they are just the regular Word ones. Is dragging the whole individual bar possible?

What I have now is three toolbars running right across the top of the screen.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:11 pm
yes you can drag the toolbars around. you can also drag the buttons around within their toolbars while holding down the Alt button on your keyboard.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 07:39 am
Thank you everybody - with your help I've got it all back to normal Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 07:45 am
No problem! Smile

Btw, the thing with dragging buttons around while pressing Alt won't work in every program, but it should work in any MS Office app. Many other programs, however, do have a way to reorder toolbar buttons nevertheless.
0 Replies