Can I attach a propane tank to my lawn mower instead of using gasoline?

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 06:08 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
I don't like or trust gas. I even converted from natural gas to electric when I moved here.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 06:14 pm
@Mame,
Who was it? Tim somebody on his TV series put a jet engine in a lawnmower, I think. My biggest yard problem is poison ivy. Been fighting it thirty years but finally gave up. I got out years ago and pulled up its roots, sometimes looking like 18 foot ropes. Then every spring when it poked up out of the ground spent two weeks digging it up. To no avail. It still grows in all the same places. I just chop it away from buildings and trees and mow over it now. Only a tractor with a plow could get most of it, but the tree roots mean the trees would have to go first.
Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 06:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
Tim Allen from Tool Time? Try vinegar on the ****. Or boiling water - boil the roots.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 06:28 pm
@Mame,
I tried vinegar. Didn't think hot water practical for such a great area. I read a page by a man supposedly expert in such things. Turns out he's been fighting poison ivy for 30 years also.
Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 06:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
lol - 30 years?! Get yourself a tractor and bob and I will set up a food court, buddy. He's got turkey and I have pig.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 06:32 pm
@Mame,
Got almost twenty huge trees to remove before a tractor is practical.
Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 06:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
Don't be so literal... go with it. Welcome us aboard and have an Apple Crisp wagon or something. Bob and I don't mind hanging in your trees while our minions serve up supper.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 06:38 pm
@Mame,
Maybe we could hire Kinky Friedman and his boys to entertain.
Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 08:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
There you go - or better yet, your horrible neighbours. We could take potshots at them.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 09:02 pm
@Mame,
Yesterday I spoke with our mail carrier. He said that they would be replacing the damaged mailboxes. The post office is just waiting to be contacted by our association. "We don't have an association," I said. Years ago some wiseass discovered our association had not been legally formed. So a few at a time everybody quit paying dues. The treasurer moved away and kept what money was left. So they officially disbanded. The mail carrier said, "so they have to pay for their own mailboxes." "Looks that way," I said.
Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 09:13 pm
@edgarblythe,
Bob and I will be up in the trees taking potshots... you provide the Deep Fried Apple Crisp from your trailer and we'll all be good.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 09:22 pm
@Mame,
It's a good time to be up there. Not mockingbird swooping season.
Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 09:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good to know... thanks, edgar. No bird poop, either.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2021 06:01 am
@Mame,
When I had to get rid of some v poison ivy patches, I used the industrial strength vinegar (acetic acid). It smelled like a great salad but we got rid of patches of poison ivy as well as weeds growing between our driveway pavers. In 2 days the weeds withered and in 4 they died off completely. It took a few applications to get rid of the poison ivy. This stuff was the real deal so you needed gloves and protection to handle it.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2021 07:14 am
@Ragman,
I'll have to check into it. I have to be careful what I put in the ground here. I'm next door to our water source, which pumps the groundwater to a filter system and into my faucets.
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2021 11:11 am
@Mame,
I let the sheep out. They do a great job wxcept for the fact that they LOVE hosta plants too.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 08:19 am
@edgarblythe,
The garden landscaping use of industrial strength vinegar (20% dilution) is considered safe according to the label. I use Green Gobbler brand which was available on Amazon. It won’t put the water source at risk. I’m not at our upstate NY location where irs located but I looked it up just now.

It’s 4 x stronger than table vinegar. It is considered safe and doesn’t use any glyophosphate or toxic chemicals. Though, it’s not cheap, it saves a lot of time and effort and rashes. I hate getting poisoned or poison ivy. It ruins my day.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 08:53 am
@Ragman,
When I spend time in the back yard I do a preemptive wash afterward. Dawn dish soap and some heavy rubbing with a couple of cloths gets it off.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 08:55 am
If you want to save $$$, you can make your own natural non-toxic weed killer. Use table vinegar (5% diluted), Epsom salts and Dawn dish detergent. I used this on the weeds growing through on my driveway pavers. It takes 2 applications for that to work. Repeated again in a few weeks. However, it won’t kill poison ivy. The ivy breaks out cocktail glasses and has a party when you try it on them.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2021 10:33 am
@edgarblythe,
I liked my electric mower, even with the learning curve about rolling over the cord. I never had a headache after using it.

Plus, I have seen this before:

https://www.smithsdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/exploding-lawnmower-615x372.jpg