America like in the Movies?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 11:08 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
I so happy for you . . . it must be wonderful to live in such a superior country!
I'm honestly considering to emigrate there ... but they don't cuddle immigrants it is said.
Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 01:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
But wouldn't you have to speak German to get along? None of that sprechen zie Dutch for them!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 01:19 pm
@joefromchicago,
joefromchicago wrote:
The streets in American cities are, on the whole, much straighter than streets in German cities. That's why we won the war.

Ah-hahahahahahahaha . . . best line today.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 01:24 pm
@joefromchicago,
Quote:

Well, first of all, those aren't movies. They're TV shows. And no, nothing in America is like Family Guy or American Dad. That's the joke.

Accept we all do have talking, sarcastic dogs.

When I was a kid, I loved Hogan's Heros.
Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 01:28 pm
@maxdancona,
You weren't supposed to tell him that. You may be in big trouble now.

(See "Tom Edison's Shaggy Dog" by Kurt Vennegut.)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 01:45 pm
Geez you guys are terrible...

The things you see on the TV shows like Family Guy and American dad are exagerrations of American society.

We do have suburbs where every home looks the same, we do have a lot of fast food restaurants, (But to be fair, so does Canada) and we do have a lot fat people on their scooters. The land of largesse, if you will.

But, remember that it is a cartoon and not everything you see on TV is real. Death is not voiced by Norm McDonald in America. Usually it's Don Rickles. Our babies are not quite as smart and our dogs only talk to some people.
Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 02:01 pm
If we're terrible, it's because this joker walked right into it and set us up for all these snide remarks at his expense. We'll have to ask Walter, but i'll bet that ironic sarcasm can easily be said in German.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 02:06 pm
@Setanta,
I'm sure the concept ironic sarcasm can't be expressed in German because sarcasm doesn't exist in Germany (a country where apparently everything you see on TV is real).
Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 02:12 pm
@maxdancona,
How foolish of me not to have known.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 02:28 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
our dogs only talk to some people.

Like David Berkowitz
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 04:23 am
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

...we do have a lot of fast food restaurants, (But to be fair, so does Canada) and we do have a lot fat people on their scooters. The land of largesse, if you will.

You mispelled "large asses."

German, there's a grain of truth to your description of the US, but remember that if TV shows portrayed reality, they'd be boring.

I have a quick question about Germany, if you don't mind. There's a German professor whom I've befriended. When we talk, he always stands about 6 inches (about half a liter) in front of me, face-to-face. Americans give each other a lot more personal space than that. As a result, during the conversation I'm slowly backing up, while he slowly follows me. During a long conversation, I will often complete a full backwards lap around the parking lot or a couple around the room. Is this just him or do Germans generally get that close to talk?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 05:13 am
@FBM,
As far as I know that's the usual behaviour of Germans.
It seems that it is an evolutionary process because before, Germans were always spitting their vis-à-vis in face (something, rarely happens today but with older persons).

There are gen-manipulating programs which will change the roo-parking-lot chases to the more convenient arm wrestling (which happens already in parts of Germany, like in Bavaria).
Setanta

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 05:18 am
Largesse, of course, means charitable generosity--it ain't got nothin' to do with fat people.

Walter, them Bavarians, is they really Germans? They certainly are annoying. (Don't tell Thomas i said that.)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 05:28 am
@Setanta,
They don't speak Dutch. That's for sure.
(Thomas isn't an ethnic Bavarian - in Bavaria, he was an illegal immigrant.)
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 05:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

As far as I know that's the usual behaviour of Germans.
It seems that it is an evolutionary process because before, Germans were always spitting their vis-à-vis in face (something, rarely happens today but with older persons).

There are gen-manipulating programs which will change the roo-parking-lot chases to the more convenient arm wrestling (which happens already in parts of Germany, like in Bavaria).

I became uncomfortably familiar with his dental work and nose hairs before I eventually hit upon a strategy that works. Instead of backing up, I casually turn 90 degrees right or left so that he's at my side instead of straight in my face. Standing shoulder-to-shoulder is better than nose-to-nose, at least. Sometimes I point out something in the distance so that we're parallel again, but facing the same direction. Manipulative, but rewarding. Ends justifying means, and all that.
timur

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 05:43 am
@FBM,
Just in case you are interested:

The main difference is that residents of the United States of America like to keep more open space between themselves and their conversation partners (roughly 4 feet (1.2 m) compared to 2 to 3 feet (0.6–0.9 m) in Europe)
FBM

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 06:20 am
@timur,

Yep. That Wiki page agrees with my experience. The only times we need to get closer than a foot from each other are to either fight or ****. Sports games being analagous to fighting, and hugging being a light version of the latter.
0 Replies

German

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 11:12 am
@joefromchicago,
i don't hope that all americans are so arrogant like u...
joefromchicago

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 11:44 am
@German,
Nobody is as arrogant as I am.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2014 12:46 pm
@joefromchicago,
Gschaftlhuaba Wink