In legal writing, can the word "discovery" be used as a verb?

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 03:44 pm
As in the following example: "However, [Defendant] is entitled to discovery the evidence which supports [Plaintiff's] case." I'm not sure if this is just some arcane usage of the word that I'm unfamiliar with or if it's simply a typo.

Also, I apologize if I didn't ask this correctly; I meant to put it in the "English" or "Grammar" sections, but I couldn't figure out how to direct it. This is my first post on the site... heh.

Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 680 • Replies: 6
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 04:22 pm
@BartlebyInk,
Welcome to Able2know, and your first post is fine. You did the correct thing putting the English and Grammar tags on your post. We don't really have "sections" we have tags.

"Discovery" is a noun or an adjective. The verb is "discover".

I think the phrase "The defendant is entitled to discovery." is correct in a legal context (I am not a lawyer, but I did use the term 'discovery' this way in my divorce). But the complete phrase "The defendant is entitled to discovery the evidence... is wrong. I have never heard of this usage, I think it is an error.

roger

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 05:52 pm
@maxdancona,
Neither have I.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2014 06:01 pm
@BartlebyInk,
Max is right; the extra y is just an error.

Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

bankruptcycenter

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 11:33 pm
No it is not correct. The correct phrase is - "The defendant is entitled to discover the evidence.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 12:47 am
@BartlebyInk,
Not in this country.
Not by a long chalk.
No way, Jose.

The defendant is entitled to disclosure of the evidence which supports the plaintiff's case.

It looks (sounds) like an error in transcription to me.
0 Replies

modification01

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2014 01:02 am
It is an error! and it also sounds odd and looks strange as well......
0 Replies