Could someone explain this "story" to me?

chai2

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 06:43 pm
While I was at work today, the saw the email below the was sent by someone there.

You can skim past the rattlesnake part. Basically it just keep saying "kill them"

The person whose email this came from isn't exactly stupid, she is however, very conservative and christian. She always sending these damn "chicken soup for the soul" **** around as if it's really deep.

I read it and thought it very insulting. Then I asked a co-worker to read it, and he said maybe it was saying we should reconsider our knee jerk reactions, and mistrust the gov't instead.

I can't see the person who sent it saying that, but his explanation makes sense.

Anyway, please read this and tell me which direction it's going in....

RATTLESNAKE LOGIC

The media is in a tizzy about this new era of radicals, and why they could live among us and still hate us. A friend of mine from Texas explained it all to me:
“Here in west Texas I have rattlesnakes on my place, living among us. I have killed a rattlesnake on the front porch. I have killed a rattlesnake on the back porch. I have killed rattlesnakes in the barn, in the shop and on the driveway. In fact, I kill every rattlesnake I encounter.
I kill rattlesnakes because I know a rattlesnake will bite me and inject me with poison. I don’t stop to wonder why a rattlesnake will bite me; I know it will bite me because it's a rattlesnake and that's what rattlesnakes do.

1. I don’t try to reason with a rattlesnake, I just kill it.
2. I don’t try to get to know the rattlesnake better so I can
find a way to live with the rattlesnakes and convince them
not to bite me. I just kill them.
3. I don’t quiz a rattlesnake to see it I can find out where the
other snakes are, because (a) it won’t tell me, and (b) I
already know they live on my place. So, I just kill the
rattlesnake and move on to the next one.
4. I don’t look for ways I might be able to change the
rattlesnake to a n-poisonous rat snake...I just kill it.

Oh, and on occasion, I accidentally kill a rat snake because I thought it was a rattlesnake at the time. Also, I know, for every rattlesnake I kill, two more are lurking out there in the brush.
In my lifetime I will never be able to rid my place of rattlesnakes.

Do I fear them? No!

Do I respect what they can do to me? Yes!

And because of that respect I give them the fair justice they deserve....I kill them...”

Maybe as a country we should start giving more thought to the fact that these jihadists' are just like rattlesnakes, and act accordingly!
I love this country.

It's the damn government I'm afraid of...

giujohn

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 06:56 pm
@chai2,
Its speaks of the "Golden Rule": "Do unto others before they can do unto you."

If you know someone is hell bent on killing you, you kill them first. Is it legal? Depends on where/who you are. Is it smart? Bet your ass!
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 07:07 pm
It's the last 2 sentences I'm having a hard time coming to grips with.

Maybe as a country we should start giving more thought to the fact that these jihadists' are just like rattlesnakes, and act accordingly!
I love this country.

It's the damn government I'm afraid of...

The first sentence is an obvious insult to Muslims.

Then, it seems to go into reverse and say he loves this country, but is afraid of our government.

Yes, the rattlesnake story was glaringly obvious, and moronic.

I'm trying to figure out if the writer didn't realize they were contradicting themselves at the end, or if they are saying it's our government who is spreading hate mongering for this group.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 07:23 pm
The person is afraid of our government being soft, or, from other takes, wise.
It's a polemic.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 07:28 pm
Typical Teabagger fearmongering. And she sounds deeply frightened and vengeful.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 07:43 pm
So it's saying they fear the gov't because it's being too soft (read democratic/liberal) and it needs to toughen up and start killing rattlesnakes.

I see.

Thanks.

Oh yeah edgar, she's a wingnut.

Luckily, I only see her a total of about 10-15 minutes on Fridays, and not at all Saturdays, the 2 days I work.

The guy I mentioned in my first post, the co-worker, is a really smart, cool guy. I'll tell him this tomorrow.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 07:53 pm
We had a Teabagger lady in the apartments, the year Obama was first elected. She was so fearful of him, all she could do while I worked in her apartment was mutter, "Obama, Obama, Obama, bama, ba" Over and over. She told me how her insurance and medical care had let her down and she linked it to Obamacare, even though Obamacare had yet to be made law. She owned a whole library of Teabagger material and kept wanting to loan some to me. I was careful to keep my own opinions to myself, because she was a customer. But, the day she moved out, the manager nailed it for her. Told her how irrational and fear mongering all that is. The saddest part of it all is, she wanted to be a good person and to do right. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if she hides under the bed to sleep.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 08:00 pm
This 'story' is a lovely screed about fearing all the skeery brown people with impenetrable accents; different clothing, food, and religious choices; and who recently came here. It depersonalizes them, dehumanizes them, attempting to sink them to the level of common vermin, and laughs off the idea of accidentally killing innocents.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 08:10 pm
@chai2,
Wait.

He's not afraid of the rattlesnakes, he just kills them, because they want to hurt him.

Jihadists who hate the government are rattlesnakes -- he thinks we should kill them.

He hates the government because it wants to "hurt" him.

Does that mean he's a jihadist and we should kill him?
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 08:36 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

Uh... he said jihadists...so of course you assume he is slurring all muslims???
thack45

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2014 08:42 pm
@chai2,
I don't know if the email is going in any direction. It obviously reads as though the government are jihadists, but clearly that's not what she's trying to say. I'm gonna guess she's either bemoaning Obama's "no strategy yet" for ISIS in Syria, or is just mindlessly rambling arbitrary appeals to emotion.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 07:31 am
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Quote:

Uh... he said jihadists...so of course you assume he is slurring all muslims???

Well...he is kinda saying, "Kill 'em all...and let god sort it out" isn't he?
Eliusa

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 08:43 am
@chai2,
Not all the muslims are jihadists.
Political correcteness went little bit too far. Long time ago.
And the fact that whole world are trying to take care of terrorists like a babies makes me sick. They aren't babies and stop giving them pacifier every time they throw a fit!!! Good slap on the butt sometimes calmes down better than pacifier.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 09:49 am
@chai2,
It means your co-worker is a bigot and is trying to justify her bigotry.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 01:36 pm
@Eliusa,
Eliusa wrote:
Political correcteness went little bit too far. Long time ago.
And the fact that whole world are trying to take care of terrorists like a babies makes me sick.

Where do you get such a ridiculous idea from? The whole World isn't trying to take care of terrorists. At the moment Kurds, Shia militias and the regular Iraqi army are coordinating an attack on IS forces in Iraq. Egypt and the UAE have bombed IS in Libya. Terrorists are arrested and put on trial all over the World.

You're not really bothered about how people treat terrorists at all really, are you? You're just bothered about how it treats Moslems.
0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 02:36 pm
@Frank Apisa,
If you mean radical jihadists I agreee...as it should be.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 05:19 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

If you mean radical jihadists I agreee...as it should be.

Okay...that is your opinion, John...and I respect your right to have an opinion like that.

I doubt, however, we will see many politicians try to get elected using that dynamic.
giujohn

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 05:27 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Well...it looks like to me that the GOP is gearing up to do just that...we'll see.
chai2

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 06:12 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It means your co-worker is a bigot and is trying to justify her bigotry.

I don't even bring myself to call her a co-worker. The only contact past 10 minutes at a time, once a week, was one day when I started when she "trained" me. I barely consider myself working there. Laughing 2 days a week for some reason doesn't equate to a "job" for me. It's more like "****. I gotta get up early 2 days in a row."

She's not just a bigot (and a christian one at that). Like I said in the OP, she's not exactly stupid, but holy ****, I'd love to organize her hard drive, and frankly, 95% of her work system. I think she just believes what Pastor Bob, or someone with a good tag line says.

Anyway enough of her.

I googled key words about the rattlesnake story, and it seems you can find variations of them on the next. The most recent incarnation is talking about the Boston Marathon bombing. I'm sure it's lived many lives.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 07:17 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:

Well...it looks like to me that the GOP is gearing up to do just that...we'll see.

We agree. We will see.
0 Replies