Why do we deliberately fool ourselves?

hawkeye10

Mon 1 Sep, 2014 01:27 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
. But it is the priests who recruit the hapless schlucks used as cannon fodder.

The promise of conquered wealth was even more important. I am impressed with the warlords of Africa who recruit with the carrot of money, booze and pussy, along with the stick of " if you dont join us we will kill your family". Those boys dont mess around!
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 02:54 am
@neologist,
Perhaps you delude yourself . . . no, wait, you always delude yourself.

The term cannon fodder only dates to Chateaubriand's criticism of Napoleon. Before the French revolution, aries were almost always small, professional forces. If there were inexperienced, poorly trained and equipped forces in their number, they would have been the peasant levies of the nobility, from the lands they controlled. Massive armies only arose at the time of the French revolution, when Robespierre's government instituted the levée en masse as a means of countering attacks by two different armies in five different places. The theory was that they should put large numbers of troops to confront each threat, and prevent a situation in which one or more of the forces would invade France while her own forces were engaged elsewhere. Without going into the intrinsic superiority of the French military system, which would soon manifest itself, it had a certain grim logic.

There were no priests involved. Robespierre is the one who had signs put up in Paris cemeteries reading "Here is only eternal sleep."
FBM

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 07:35 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

You wrote, but which many do not comprehend, the basics for the intelligent fundamentals of knowledge.

I'm not sure what to do with that. As a native speaker of English, I find it very ambiguous. Would you mind explaining in more detail?
cicerone imposter

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 11:27 am
@FBM,
Recap:
Quote:
@FBM,
c.i.: You wrote, but which many do not comprehend, the basics for the intelligent fundamentals of knowledge.

You wrote, Quote:
Me, for one. I enjoy learning. I don't hold onto my current understanding as if it were my lifeline. I expect to be corrected, as I realize that I'm not omniscient.

What I meant by "many do not comprehend, the basics for the intelligent fundamentals of knowledge" is that many have closed minds that blocks out new information.
neologist

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 11:54 am
@Setanta,
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7f/Coat_of_arms_of_Prussia_1933.svg/326px-Coat_of_arms_of_Prussia_1933.svg.png
Setanta

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:10 pm
@neologist,
Right . . . it was priests who sent them out to fight, not the NSDAP . . . in your watchtower fantasy world.

Do you really think anyone is fooled by your watchtower propagandistic idiocy? I'm so tire of your bullsh*t.
neologist

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:26 pm
@Setanta,
http://wade.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341e3a7753ef017d418c9e19970c-320wi
neologist

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:30 pm
@Setanta,
I'm not the only one . . .

Quote:
IMAGINE
Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger
A brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...
You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

-John Lennon-
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 12:32 pm
@neologist,
You just can't stop puking up your phony-baloney watchtower propaganda, can you?
cicerone imposter

@neologist,
Nice pix, since many decades later, a German cardinal became Pope Benedict XVI.
Setanta

By the way, Godwin's Law by page four--i'm so proud of you . . . you really are one sick puppy.
neologist

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
Cardinal Pacelli beat him by half a century.
neologist

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:16 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
By the way, Godwin's Law by page four--i'm so proud of you . . . you really are one sick puppy.
Do you assume I do not include the clergy of the US and other nations? Catholics killing Catholics, Lutherans killing Lutherans with the blessings of their respective ptiests. BTW, Godwin's law would only apply if I accused you of some Nazi symapthy, which I am certain you do not entertain.

Don't think I ignore political and commercial culpability. I don't. But I am amazed at what appears to be you giving religionists a free pass.
Frank Apisa

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:17 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:
Cardinal Pacelli beat him by half a century.

Cardinal Pacelli was NOT a German cardinal...although I think he was Nuncio to Germany under Pius XI.
Frank Apisa

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:20 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Oops...appointed Nuncio by Benedict XV.
neologist

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
My point was he was a principle negotiator of the concordat
0 Replies

neologist

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:28 pm
@Setanta,
I've enjoyed our discourse.
But I must say you've had better days
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 01:56 pm
@neologist,
What an idiot. Hitler and the NSDAP were bent on their program of conquest. Absent Hitler and the NSDAP, the clergy of all the churches of Germany would not have been able to start that war. If all the clergy of Germany had protested, they would not have been able to stop the war. Godwin's law does not require a personal comparison.

You're just puking up your typical, hateful and deceitful watchtower bullsh*t in which you seek to promote your religious delusions as superior because you don't have a recognizable clergy. But you've got the watchtower and that's doctrinal tyranny at its finest--they cede nothing to anyone's clergy. I'm actually having a really good day, because i've decided to stop pulling my punches when it comes to you. You're a liar.
neologist

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 02:29 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:
What an idiot. Hitler and the NSDAP were bent on their program of conquest. Absent Hitler and the NSDAP, the clergy of all the churches of Germany would not have been able to start that war. If all the clergy of Germany had protested, they would not have been able to stop the war. Godwin's law does not require a personal comparison.

The churches, in themselves, would have had no reason. But you are saying that those who truly put their belief in God first would have subjugated that belief in behalf of the state? Well, at least one religious group did not.

For a moment, consider the plight of the Jews in concentration camps. I can't imagine you taking part in the slaughter. Yet many believers bought into the insanity of the final solution while their clergymen turned a blind eye.

Getting away from WWII, Google the participation of the clergy in Rwandan massacres and see what you get. I would never defame your integrity as you are wont to impugn mine. Yet I am amazed by your myopic refusal to see there are 2 sides here.
FBM

Tue 2 Sep, 2014 07:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Recap:
Quote:
@FBM,
c.i.: You wrote, but which many do not comprehend, the basics for the intelligent fundamentals of knowledge.

You wrote, Quote:
Me, for one. I enjoy learning. I don't hold onto my current understanding as if it were my lifeline. I expect to be corrected, as I realize that I'm not omniscient.

What I meant by "many do not comprehend, the basics for the intelligent fundamentals of knowledge" is that many have closed minds that blocks out new information.

Ah. Gotcha. Yeah, that's been my experience to date, too.