Why do we deliberately fool ourselves?

cicerone imposter

Tue 9 Jul, 2019 05:06 pm
@Felasco,
Quote:
Irrelevant. Saying reason is the best we have over and over again will not prove it is qualified to address issues the scale of God claims.
Quote:
There are thousands of gods being worshipped today. Which one is your's? Can you produce evidence that your god exists? BTW, if you happen to praise the Bible god, you haven't studied the difference between fact and fiction. A 2,000 year old god with too many contradictions makes him funnier than any comic book. 1. Thou shalt not kill. 2. Kill all infidels. Bible: Earth is 7,000 years old. Science: Earth is 4.5 billion years old. Also, study the evolution of Homo sapiens. We are the product of one family of primates. There is evidence for this based on science, not some fictional book. https://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6395/1296.full
cicerone imposter

Tue 9 Jul, 2019 05:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
BTW, I have put you on IGNORE. It's too exhausting to continue this "go nowhere" discussion.
Felasco

Wed 10 Jul, 2019 02:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
BTW, I have put you on IGNORE. It's too exhausting to continue this "go nowhere" discussion.

I've been doing this for 20 years. It's completely normal for ideologists to run when faced with inconvenient reasoning. You are in good company. Lots of it.
hawkeye10

Fri 12 Jul, 2019 10:59 pm
Why do moderns mostly decide to invest in fantasy over reality?

Because we moderns are mostly morons.

So sad but true.

SORRY!
Sturgis

Fri 12 Jul, 2019 11:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Fantasy can free up the brain.
Too much reality can then the brain to monotonous glop.
hawkeye10

Fri 12 Jul, 2019 11:10 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Fantasy can free up the brain.
Too much reality can then the brain to monotonous glop.
"We are awesome, all of our teachers have told us so even as they have failed to make the slightest attempt to educate us!",

BARF
Sturgis

Fri 12 Jul, 2019 11:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Trust me, I never used the word awesome in the classroom or to any student.

Now, "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - H. D. Thoreau
hawkeye10

Sat 13 Jul, 2019 02:16 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Trust me, I never used the word awesome in the classroom or to any student.

Now, "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - H. D. Thoreau

The assertion sir is that teachers do not generally sufficiently educate nor challenge their students, talk to me about that!
0 Replies

roger

Sat 13 Jul, 2019 02:22 am
@Sturgis,
I sometimes use 'Outstanding!'. Not that I was ever a teacher.
0 Replies

Dissily

Sun 21 Jul, 2019 12:24 am
@Felasco,
Felasco wrote:

Quote:
But, that's the best us humans have.

Irrelevant. Saying reason is the best we have over and over again will not prove it is qualified to address issues the scale of God claims.

And what scale is that? You have some means of measuring it or are you implying the scale faith imagines it covers? If reason is insufficient to answer such questions how can you discuss ‘scale of God claims’ when you have no means of knowing what that scale is? The entire argument/discussion is pointless unless all you’re trying to tell us is something along the lines of ‘I have faith God’s scale is so vast it’s beyond knowing. And around and around it goes like one of Aquinas’s circular thoelogical tomes.
0 Replies

Dissily

Sun 21 Jul, 2019 12:30 am
@Felasco,
Felasco wrote:

Quote:
But, that's the best us humans have.

And how did you measure this ‘scale’? Is your estimate of ‘the scale of God’ equal to others making the same assertion? The term ‘will not prove’ however implies an obligation to illucidate what would constitute proof in this context or are you simply going to ask us all to have ‘faith’?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 06:35 pm
@Felasco,
You should be honored...you are on CI's bogus ignore list
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Tue 13 Aug, 2019 06:40 pm
Why?

Because we are a mote in God's eye and it makes us fearful, and because we have thought long and hard about it and concluded God is real.

If you don't, fine just STFU about your opinion. No one is going to change their minds because the wonderful CI demands they do.
0 Replies

bulmabriefs144

Thu 5 May, 2022 11:45 pm
@coincidence,
If you think that raising a child to follow a path is that, then it's all brainwashing.

Either you have a dad or mom that told you repeatedly that God isn't real (but that's not brainwashing!) or you had a parent that told you God is. If you had a parent that told you to think for yourself, you might actually grow up making your own mind about such things.

But you're assuming that all of them were raised like this birth. Any convert who came to their faith late in life is gonna take exception at that.
hingehead

Fri 6 May, 2022 07:16 pm
@bulmabriefs144,
Likewise anyone raised religiously who lost faith. I wonder which group outnumbers which percentage wise.
bulmabriefs144

Fri 6 May, 2022 10:02 pm
@hingehead,
Probably the ones that lost faith. But God doesn't care about numbers.

Islam is the fastest growing religion, but their conversion relies almost entirely on force, because there really isn't a persuasive argument for Islam.

So also there may be many who were raised by parents who recited their baptism vows but never returned. Or who attended church, but let the whiny brats cry during the service and keep them from their own worship (I don't think much of these so called "later in life" losses of faith, I think I great number of them simply opted out of church at a young age by being a loud crying child). Or who fell away because they wanted God to be like Santa, and God doesn't reward people based on petty reasons, nor grant wishes. They prayed "Let my grandma not die of cancer," but grandma prayed, "Let my pain end." She was old and God decided her prayer was worth alot more than letting that prayer be granted.

God cares about faith. So much so that God doesn't grant the prayers of those who ultimately aren't gonna believe in him.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Sat 21 May, 2022 11:30 pm
@coincidence,
1. Buddhism has nothing to do with god. It was started by a Prince who saw how his people was suffering. Yes their are many ideas about god however it falls on Hinduism as well.

2. Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all have and worship the same god with slight differences. Judaism has more txts then Christianity and came from two warring fractions who combined their belief systems after being enslaved by the Egyptians. Islam accepts everything from both however does not had idols but instead symbols and while Christ is presented is seen as a prophet and not god on earth. While all three breaks off into various fractions, beliefs, and methods Christianity into Catholicism took the Nuns outfit from Islam, and took most works from Judaism while focusing on Christ as being the rock that annihilated Roman empire.

3. You want to fail on god then their is the idea you should be thinking. The enslaved Jews got together with the other slaves over threw the Roman Empire and rewrote history making Christianity a religion for the former empire children. Maybe that was the truth, like the way Haiti was over taken by the slaves and whatever history was left to them to rewrite and re-master.

4. About this. We came from another world. We humans nuked the dinosaurs on purpose ( which would explain why the Earth does not get so many asteroids unlike other planets ), we interrupted evolution on this planet. we manufacture people, races, etc. Because when you think about it the only thing on this planet that does not belong is us. Imagine if the seven days/ seven worlds was one big science project ??? Made just for us to inhabit this world. Their could be a world out there and proves we came from afar and crash landed on this planet. Ever heard of Atlantis? Ever heard of mermaids?
Imagine an entire world built with the idea of planting seeds?

5. Then again this planet is not natural. Imagine if the real world was a spirit world and we are being tested for the great beyond, as with the heavens, or paradise that expands like a forever-lasting forest. Imagine if right now there is a spiritual world, a world beyond this plain, and we are being tested. All this $#@$ in the world is just a bunch of distractions.

0 Replies

Wilso

Tue 5 Jul, 2022 11:21 pm
Should be more of this

https://www.smh.com.au/national/queensland/murder-charges-for-12-people-who-prayed-over-dying-girl-20220705-p5az5e.html
0 Replies

coluber2001

Wed 13 Jul, 2022 12:47 pm
I think adherents to religions, patriarchal religions are highly indoctrinated as small children to the point that it's almost impossible for them to break free from that embedded mindset.

It's merely repeated messages, inculcations drummed into a young mind that is in a constant state of hypnotic suggestion. At a young age children are in a constant hypnotic state because of their immature, undeveloped mind.

Adults can be hypnotized in a clinical setting, because hypnosis is nothing but relaxation, but they have a mature brain that can choose the message to be implanted.

Deep emotional states, anger, levity, sadness, etc., are the same as a hypnotic state and messages, inculcations can be easily implanted if they're repeated often enough. This is the strategy of the melodramatic or comedic programming on television to sell products. . Political campaigns use the same strategy, bombarding the media in with their messages assuming that a significant number of people will be in an emotional state because of the melodramatic programming. Billions are spent on political ads persuading not by reason but by indoctrination.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Wed 13 Jul, 2022 03:28 pm
@coincidence,
We could be philosophical about god all day long. Write a wonderful thesis,but here is the truth.

God = Law
Man = not law
No man can rule another man

That is what the whole George Floyd thing happen the way it happen.
That is why the whole entire "Police Brutality" came to a stop ( for a while ) when somebody just started to target random police officers. No really after
Breonna Taylor was killed, people took revenge. The same reason why people in LA even started to target officers which sent many into tears of the senseless violence. Speaking of which take those losers.

Kyle Rittenhouse - at 17yo. He was not part of any police, military, or federal force at all. He has no training and his duty ( if any ) was suppose to be near one business. He did not leave his position with his other friends to look for people to "help". He left to look for people to kill. Somebody threw a plastic bag at him, and he took the shot. He openly admitted he killed somebody on camera, their was a witness ( a reporter ) that saw him. He then ran for his life knowing he was GOING TO BE DISARM. They all converged on him, to take his piece and possible beat some sense into him, and like a coward he shot those people just to get away from them. The police did not aprehend him or stop to look around, they just passed him by.

Kyle Rittenhouse is a dunce. He walked away from where his associates was and shot a random person for a plastic bag. He deserves jail and further more
he does not deserves his life.

George Zimmerman - He was rejected as being a policeman. He joined the neighborhood watch and hang out the local club or whatever. He on purposely was driving around looking for a target to fire at. He found one. It was Trevon Martin. Trevon was on the phone with his girlfriend he came from visiting his father. Night time GZ followed him, flashed his gun at him and then proceed to take chase and eventually shot him. Before that you could hear him screaming.

If TMartin was a threat then why the #$@$#@$!k did he not fight this loser.
George Zimmerman deserve to be carved up into little pieces and tossed to the sharks, because the only reason why nobody just gangs up on him and take him out, IS BECAUSE OF GOD. He is a walking target. We all know what he did.

A guy did not just visit his dad and talk on the phone with some lame girl to go outside and randomly attack somebody in the same neighborhood his father lives in. That would be too obvious.

If their was no god everything would not be easier. Because what would stop the next person from attacking you? It is the fact that people have belief in god.

The reason why anybody is not being shoved inside of a burger bun is because of god. The reason why a group of people do not bust down your door is because of god.