23

Why do we deliberately fool ourselves?

1  
Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 05:06 pm
@Felasco,
Irrelevant. Saying reason is the best we have over and over again will not prove it is qualified to address issues the scale of God claims.
There are thousands of gods being worshipped today. Which one is your's? Can you produce evidence that your god exists? BTW, if you happen to praise the Bible god, you haven't studied the difference between fact and fiction. A 2,000 year old god with too many contradictions makes him funnier than any comic book. 1. Thou shalt not kill. 2. Kill all infidels. Bible: Earth is 7,000 years old. Science: Earth is 4.5 billion years old. Also, study the evolution of Homo sapiens. We are the product of one family of primates. There is evidence for this based on science, not some fictional book. https://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6395/1296.full

1  
Reply Tue 9 Jul, 2019 05:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
BTW, I have put you on IGNORE. It's too exhausting to continue this "go nowhere" discussion.
Felasco

1  
Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2019 02:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,

I've been doing this for 20 years. It's completely normal for ideologists to run when faced with inconvenient reasoning. You are in good company. Lots of it.
hawkeye10

-2  
Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2019 10:59 pm
Why do moderns mostly decide to invest in fantasy over reality?

Because we moderns are mostly morons.

So sad but true.

SORRY!
Sturgis

1  
Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2019 11:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Fantasy can free up the brain.
Too much reality can then the brain to monotonous glop.
hawkeye10

-1  
Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2019 11:10 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Fantasy can free up the brain.
"We are awesome, all of our teachers have told us so even as they have failed to make the slightest attempt to educate us!",

BARF
Sturgis

1  
Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2019 11:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Trust me, I never used the word awesome in the classroom or to any student.

Now, "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - H. D. Thoreau
hawkeye10

-1  
Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 02:16 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

The assertion sir is that teachers do not generally sufficiently educate nor challenge their students, talk to me about that!

2  
Reply Sat 13 Jul, 2019 02:22 am
@Sturgis,
I sometimes use 'Outstanding!'. Not that I was ever a teacher.

Dissily

2  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 12:24 am
@Felasco,
Felasco wrote:

But, that's the best us humans have.

And what scale is that? You have some means of measuring it or are you implying the scale faith imagines it covers? If reason is insufficient to answer such questions how can you discuss ‘scale of God claims’ when you have no means of knowing what that scale is? The entire argument/discussion is pointless unless all you’re trying to tell us is something along the lines of ‘I have faith God’s scale is so vast it’s beyond knowing. And around and around it goes like one of Aquinas’s circular thoelogical tomes.

Dissily

2  
Reply Sun 21 Jul, 2019 12:30 am
@Felasco,
Felasco wrote:

But, that's the best us humans have.

And how did you measure this ‘scale’? Is your estimate of ‘the scale of God’ equal to others making the same assertion? The term ‘will not prove’ however implies an obligation to illucidate what would constitute proof in this context or are you simply going to ask us all to have ‘faith’?

Finn dAbuzz

0  
Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 06:35 pm
@Felasco,
You should be honored...you are on CI's bogus ignore list

Finn dAbuzz

0  
Reply Tue 13 Aug, 2019 06:40 pm
Why?

Because we are a mote in God's eye and it makes us fearful, and because we have thought long and hard about it and concluded God is real.

If you don't, fine just STFU about your opinion. No one is going to change their minds because the wonderful CI demands they do.