Favorite Fast Foods

cicerone imposter

Wed 26 Oct, 2016 05:47 pm
@farmerman,
We don't go to MickeyD even once a month. More like 3 or 4 times a year for a big mac. Otherwise, it's for senior coffee in the morning, and that can happen about once-a-month. We usually go to Paris Bag. for coffee and pastry in the morning. Once in awhile, we go to Denny's for their senior breakfast special; pancakes, bacon and eggs for $4 bucks.
hairmag

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 12:54 am
Some times eating more fast foods in unhealthy, so If possible try to avoid those.
0 Replies

roger

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 01:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
Really! Since I don't care much about pancakes, I'll go for the biscuit & gravy on the 2,4,6, 8 menu. Biscuit and gravy of course, plus eggs and hashbrowns. At least locally, they let you substitute with red skin potatoes, which I really like.
farmerman

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 04:47 am
@roger,
Whenever Im on the road and Im in the rural Va/West Va/Pa or Md areas, I will seek out a Royal Farms food stop. They make a really good spicy fried chicken. I keep a huge bottle of jellied Ethyl alcohol to clean up my hands (its a home brew like Purrell hand sanitizer). My steering needs a special cleaner.

Excellent chicken (Im fond of the thigh and drum stick).

Real road food. Now if theyd serve up some pecan pie (the kind they used to make in Little Rock. not that Marie Callender ****), wed have us a picnic.

Then Id need a Yuengling Chesterfield Ale, and thats a no-no.
farmerman

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 04:53 am
@chai2,
In lower Delaware they have a small chain (2 restaurants is all they got) called Po Boys and its as close to NAwlins cajun as Ive ever had. I can eat an entire meal of sides, like RED BEANS n RICE, and a big dish of COLLARDS in a potlikker. All eaten with some hunks of buttered corn bread.
This is all washed down by unsweet tea. (the only place I break tradition, they make sweet tea that hurts your teeth)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 12:05 pm
@farmerman,
We have a Marie Callender restaurant in our city, but we haven't gone there for many years (decades?). BTW, they have 75 restaurants in the US.
glitterbag

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 12:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I didn't know that Marie Callender had restaurants. I've only seen that name in the frozen entree and dessert sections of the grocery store. I remember I bought one of her items (don't remember which one) and didn't like it.

I suppose the restaurants are much better?????
0 Replies

roger

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 02:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We had one decades ago. Great place, if only she had learned to cook vegetables instead of passing them quickly over the steam table. Her frozen stuff ain't bad, either, but Lord, the woman must be heavily invested in broccoli futures. She sure freezes enough of it.
Sturgis

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 04:17 pm
@roger,
The passing over a steam table speaks to me, in a good way. Mother was not one for overcookiy vegetables, the closer they were to raw the better. I tend to agree on that front, prefer my veggies to have some life in them, with both a healthy color and a firmness...of course I like nibbling on potatoes whenb they're raw. Now if only she had had a similar approach to meats and cookies, both of which were known to be burned to nearly past recognition.

As to Marie Calendar's, I go for the beef pot pie and chicken pot pie several times a year. I love love love 'em.
cicerone imposter

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 04:24 pm
@Sturgis,
Have you ever eaten raw corn that tastes really sweet?
Sturgis

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 04:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Years back I ate raw corn, it was quite a treat. These days I've been instructed not too eat corn unless it's puréed or ground up and deposited into something else.
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 04:54 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis , Boston Market makes terrific chicken pot pies. I'm talking from the actual restaurant
ossobucotemp

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 04:58 pm
@Sturgis,
I agree - I didn't like vegetables as a kid, except green peas and didn't begin to enjoy them until I had a fresh raw salad at a pizza place, with delicious dressing. Let's say I was nineteen by then. Gradually I was exposed to cooked but somewhat crunchy vegetables and liked them. Raw is fine now, assuming they're clean.. so, that was a transition over years. Looking back, my mother, who tried to make our food healthy, tended to boil vegetables to excess, this back in the fifties and earlier. I think that was common in the US back then, don't know about other countries in those days.
0 Replies

roger

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 05:00 pm
@chai2,
Speaking of their frozen foods, I tried their Sweet and Sour Chicken early this month. It smelled a little off when it was cooking but I foolishly ate it anyway. I was physically sick for over a week. Maybe it was transported at too high a temperature, but they don't get a second.
ossobucotemp

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 05:01 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yes! Just the year I grew corn though, or we picked some from a big field friends of my parents had - oh, my!
0 Replies

chai2

Sat 26 Nov, 2016 07:41 pm
@roger,
Sorry you got sick.

I've never had any of their frozen foods, just what is prepared there.

0 Replies

glitterbag

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 12:38 am
@roger,
Oh Roger, I'm so sorry you got sick from the food. I'm incredibly finicky about food freshness. If I dectect even a whiff that something is off, it goes right in the garbage. If it's a tad off, I just can't serve it to my family. It only takes one bout of food-poison to put you off forever.

As far as raw corn, Oh God yes, yes, yes. We still have a few roadside stands that sell local produce in the summer, and if you get corn that was picked in the morning you are a lucky duck.
cicerone imposter

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 03:50 pm
@glitterbag,
A few years ago at the farmers market, the vendor told us to bite into the uncooked corn, and it was delicious! Never saw that vendor again.
glitterbag

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 07:42 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I always snap off a small hunk of fresh corn and take a bite. If it's sweet raw, it will stay sweet unless you boil the life out of it. Sometimes I put the whole ear, husk and all in the microwave, or grill it on the Weber. I think that fresh local tomatoes and fresh local corn are gifts from God.
farmerman

Sat 18 Mar, 2017 08:03 pm
@glitterbag,
There are a very slight amounts of some alkaloids in unripe field corn or sweet corn that can make your mouth "tingle" if you eat it in the field. As a kid we used to grab wheat kernels off the ripening grain stalk and crush the husks off in our hands and then chew the mass of field grains and use it as Chewing Gum (for country kids). Wed also eat young field corn to get the sweet syrup. ed also cut the corn stalks and suck on them like sugar cane. Sometimes, if youd eat too much, the "tingling" would happen.
TOO MUCH can cause diarrhea an upset stomach.
0 Replies