Filmdom's Best Death Scenes

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:44 am
Can't forget Spock's death in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan," and the symbolic resurrection in III.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 09:01 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Can't forget Spock's death in "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan," and the symbolic resurrection in III.

I agree. The death scene, in which, I believe, he and Kirk touched hands through the glass barrier, was very moving. I also find it amusing, that a moment before walking into what he knew was certain death, Spock stored his essence in McCoy's mind without telling him.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 09:02 am
Well, Raggedyaggie and Lightwizard have already mentioned my first choice: James Cagney in "White Heat." Others:

Max Schreck in "Nosferatu"

Edward G. Robinson in "Little Caesar" ("Mother of mercy! Is this the end of Rico?").

Rod Steiger in "On the Waterfront."

And for mass death scenes, the Odessa steps scene from "Battleship Potemkin."
0 Replies

beatoswald

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 09:10 am
i'd agree with fbaezer; jean-paul belmondo in 'Pierrot Le Fou'.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 05:20 pm
Jean Servais in the final scenes in the car in "Rififi."
The atmosphere is permeated with irony.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 06:34 pm
Peter Sellers (acting) in The Party
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 06:43 pm
The final scene of Chinatown for sheer angst, revulsion & horror. Stunningly awful.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 06:52 pm
Kirk Douglas run over by Carrol O'Connor's big rig in Lonely Are The Brave.

The three men lynched in The Ox-Bow Incident.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 07:01 pm
Richard Burton as "Beckett"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 07:13 pm
How about that? Nobody has mentioned The Passion of the Christ.

Was it Gene Hackman in The Posiedon Adventure? Actually there were more than one good ones in that film.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 07:20 pm
Bogart in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 09:33 pm
Witt's death in The Thin Red Line is the best death ever if you ask me.
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 01:14 am
Ripley's death in Aliens #3 when she does a back swan dive into the molten lead.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 08:08 am
Steve McQueen in "The Sand Pebbles" for a really tragic death scene.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 09:08 am
There was a movie starring perhaps Jimmy Stewart. Wish I remembered the name of it. His friend or brother has his foot caught as the water rises. He works frantically to free him, but the guy eventually drowns. That scene stayed with me all my life, but not the movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 09:13 am
Perhaps "Winchester '73"
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 09:50 am
falling death scenes at the beginning of cliffhanger and K2.

they are about the most terrifying things i ever saw on film. i had to turn away from the screen when i first saw them

but for heroic deaths, i will cite boromir's in FOTR.

as to the sand pebbles, a vastly underrated book and film. but mako's death at the hands of mcqueen was echoed later on in last of the mohicans when hawkeye shoots the british major while he is burning at the stake.

there is another that is imprinted on my mind. burt lancaster's stripped body laying face down in the mud at the end of go tell the spartans.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 10:04 am
I kinda liked the death of gunslinger (bad bart? black bart?) in "Judge Roy Bean". He calls in to the saloon, taunting Bean to come out for a gunflight. Unfortunately for him, Bean is behind him with a shotgun. The camera shows Paul Newman (Bean) behind the gunslinger, looking through the new hole in the gunslinger's chest.

Also, in a similar vein, how about the death of the scimitar-wielding villain in "Raiders of the Lost Ark", who appears so intimidating, only to be shot by Indiana Jones.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 10:05 am
Wow! Kuvasz. Welcome back.

Did anyone mention Sinatra in From Here to Eternity?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 10:05 am
Several great death scenes in LOTR -- beginning with Gandalf's fall into the abyss.

Spartans -- prompted me to remember Kirk Douglas in "Spartacus."
0 Replies