So, You Can't Pay Your Health Insurance Because You're Sick. What Happens Next?

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:01 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

To slightly digress, suppose we've posted hundreds of pics around internet discussion forums (like i've done) and then become ill or die and can't renew our subscription to the image hosting site such as Photobucket.
I suppose Pb will close our account and all our pics will vanish from every forum.

And how does that relate to the serious question of a person who becomes uninsured because he is too sick to pay his insurance premiums and has no close family?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:01 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

First of all, insurance can't be cancelled the day the bill was due. Most states require a 30 day grace period. That means even if the person is paying month to month, they would have somewhere between 40-60 days before the insurance would be cancelled.

Secondly, if a person is incapable of making decisions and there is no one to make those decisions, they would probably be given a guardian to make those decisions and to take care of their financial matters.

http://family.findlaw.com/guardianship/guardianship-of-incapacitated-or-disabled-persons.html

Hospitals have social workers who would be capable of requesting a guardian for an incapacitated person with no known relatives.

I hope that this social worker thing is real and functional. If so, then it is the answer to my question.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:10 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

You're lucky.

Luck has nothing to do with it, following WW2 the working classes demanded some sort of payback, which is why Clement Atlee's Labour Party won with a landslide.

As for queues, a lot depends on what practice you're with. Personally I have no problem seeing a doctor on the day as long as I phone on time. I may not see the doctor I want, but I can always make an appointment for next week if it's not urgent.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:17 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
The opening post made it clear that you were too sick to mail the check, possibly unconscious.
Well, I can't remember when someone mailed a check - I'm 65 years old, and all the period I remember, health insurance premiums like any other regular monthly bill are paid automatically from your bank account by withdrawal.
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
The opening post made it clear that you were too sick to mail the check, possibly unconscious.
Well, I can't remember when someone mailed a check - I'm 65 years old, and all the period I remember, health insurance premiums like any other regular monthly bill are paid automatically from your bank account by withdrawal.

That may be the answer to my question. I've never known anyone who talked about their insurance with me and said that they did that, but, if it's possible, it's the way to go - at least until we have guaranteed medical care here.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 11:03 am
@Brandon9000,
You wrote,
Quote:

If the patient is unable to talk because they are unconscious or too sick to make the premium payment, I don't know of any hospital that would throw out the patient for nonpayment of the monthly premium.

"Too sick" doesn't mean they can't talk. "Unconscious" for a very long period is considered comatose.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:25 pm
@Brandon9000,
As has already been mentioned, if you receive Medicare, those payments come directly out of your Social Security--there are no bills to be attended to for basic Medicare coverage..

You need to give someone power of attorney to pay your bills, from your bank account, in case you become too ill to do that. Medical bills won't be the only monthly bills you have that need to be paid, and you need to have someone you trust be able to do that for you. The person could be a friend you trust. When my friend was dying of cancer, and simply too weak to manage his finances, he gave me his power of attorney and I paid his bills for him. I also had his Health Care Proxy so I could make medical decisions for him when he became unable to do that at the end.

Another option might be for you to draw up a Revocable Living Trust, place your assets into that trust, but retain control over them by appointing yourself primary trustee. You then appoint a successor trustee, a friend or financial institution, that will manage your assets and financial obligations for you in the event you become incapacitated. In effect, that person or institution will have your power of attorney to act in your stead if you cannot act on your own behalf. A Living Trust can also substitute for a Will in determining the distribution of your assets after your death.

I would not depend on a hospital social worker to request you be granted a court-appointed guardian, in the event you need one, because that takes matters out of your control. You are much better off getting these matters sorted out in advance of any incapacitation on your part, and in accord with your wishes, and putting your finances in the hands of friends or financial professionals you trust.

You really should consult an elder care or estate planning attorney to discuss your options. At the very least, I think you need to have things like a power of attorney, and a Heath Care Proxy/Advance Healthcare Directive drawn up so that someone is authorized to act on your behalf.
parados

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:33 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I hope that this social worker thing is real and functional. If so, then it is the answer to my question.

Of course it's real. You have proposed that someone is so ill they can't make medical decisions. Hospitals can't make those decisions for them. It would be a conflict of interest on the part of the Hospital to do such a thing. Patient advocates are in every medical system to help patients find ways to get and pay for treatment. Those social workers deal with this stuff all the time. If there is no one available to make the decisions then courts appoint someone.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 12:35 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

You need to give someone power of attorney to pay your bills, from your bank account, in case you become too ill to do that. Medical bills won't be the only monthly bills you have that need to be paid, and you need to have someone you trust be able to do that for you. The person could be a friend you trust. When my friend was dying of cancer, and simply too weak to manage his finances, he gave me his power of attorney and I paid his bills for him. I also had his Health Care Proxy so I could make medical decisions for him when he became unable to do that at the end.

Another option might be for you to draw up a Revocable Living Trust, place your assets into that trust, but retain control over them by appointing yourself primary trustee. You then appoint a successor trustee, a friend or financial institution, that will manage your assets and financial obligations for you in the event you become incapacitated. In effect, that person or institution will have your power of attorney to act in your stead if you cannot act on your own behalf. A Living Trust can also substitute for a Will in determining the distribution of your assets after your death.

I would not depend on a hospital social worker to request you be granted a court-appointed guardian, in the event you need one, because that takes matters out of your control. You are much better off getting these matters sorted out in advance of any incapacitation on your part, and in accord with your wishes, and putting your finances in the hands of friends or financial professionals you trust.

You really should consult an elder care or estate planning attorney to discuss your options. At the very least, I think you need to have things like a power of attorney, and a Heath Care Proxy/Advance Healthcare Directive drawn up so that someone is authorized to act on your behalf.

Most of what you're advocating implies the existence of people close enough both personally and probably in terms of physical distance to do it. The opening posts presume that no such people exist. Presumably, when I reach that age, my good friends and those few relatives who are sort of close will have also. I cannot see casual friends doing it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 01:03 pm
@Brandon9000,
There are court assigned trustees to administer anybody's estate in the event they become incapacitated to manage their own assets.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 01:04 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Most of what you're advocating implies the existence of people close enough both personally and probably in terms of physical distance to do it. The opening posts presume that no such people exist. Presumably, when I reach that age, my good friends and those few relatives who are sort of close will have also. I cannot see casual friends doing it.

Then you can appoint an attorney and/or financial professional to do it--but at least the choice of who is doing it will be yours, and your wishes will be respected. Why leave it to chance or the courts? Why not retain control over these things?

You should have someone now who can act as your power of attorney and health care proxy, since you never know when the need for such things might arise.

As you age, you can update the people or financial institutions you appoint to make decisions for you. You can't always plan these things far in advance and leaved them unchanged--circumstances change, people die, etc..

I had no problem handling my friend's financial obligations for him, as his power of attorney, but this was a very close friend, and I did live near him.

My widowed uncle, who had no children, and who lived a considerable distance from other family, set up a Revocable Living Trust, with a financial professional as the successor trustee, and that arrangement worked out smoothly in managing his assets and obligations, both before and after his death.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 01:09 pm
@firefly,
Since he's making every excuse under the sun about how he can settle this problem, no amount of suggestions to solve it is going to happen. He wants the attention he's getting on this forum, and stretching it for all its worth. ZILCH.
roger

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 02:09 pm
@firefly,

firefly wrote:

You should have someone now who can act as your power of attorney and health care proxy, since you never know when the need for such things might arise.

A person given power of attorney is called an attorney-in- fact. I know I'm being picky and irrelevant, but that is possibly the most annoying thing I've encountered in the New Mexico elder care system. That, and the fact that most professionals in the system seem to think that attorney-in-fact is the be all, end all. I have actually been told I lack authority to make certain decisions because I am not the attorney-in-fact (power of attorney, as they say); I am only the Guardian.

Sorry for the digression, firefly. It is of no real significance to the discussion. I had to post that or annoy the neighbors with a blood curdling scream.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 03:33 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

How many people do you need to tell you that ''this social worker thing'' is real and functional?

If you don't believe anyone who posted - go ask someone IRL.
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 08:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Not only that! Numerous people have told Brandon baby that an automatic bank deduction would alleviate the problem - every healthcare carrier allows for automatic deductions, but Brandon has another 9000 questions.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
9000? I thought it was endless! LOL
CalamityJane

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:19 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Well, the 9000 must stand for something in his name, no? Wink
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Since he's making every excuse under the sun about how he can settle this problem, no amount of suggestions to solve it is going to happen. He wants the attention he's getting on this forum, and stretching it for all its worth. ZILCH.

I've told multiple people now that their answers seem like the solutions to my question. This is something I've been frightened of for about ten years. I am especially concerned for my wife, since she is younger and will, presumably die last. She has no relatives in this country save one elderly aunt who will certainly predecease her. I hate to think of her dying alone someday with no one to speak for her. I feel like I have my answer and have said so several times, but as other people post, I reserve the right to answer them. I have no idea why you would want to claim that I have bad motives.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:34 pm
@Brandon9000,
Oh! Well, you could have fooled me, and possibly some others on this thread!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2014 09:36 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Not only that! Numerous people have told Brandon baby that an automatic bank deduction would alleviate the problem - every healthcare carrier allows for automatic deductions, but Brandon has another 9000 questions.

Then why did I tell Walter H:

Brandon9000 wrote:
That may be the answer to my question. I've never known anyone who talked about their insurance with me and said that they did that, but, if it's possible, it's the way to go - at least until we have guaranteed medical care here.

You're misrepresenting what I've said. I am pretty satisfied with the answers I've gotten, but if people keep posting, I reserve the right to address their specific answers. Remind me to wait until you start a thread about something that really concerns you and come in and insult you.