Questions about Master's in Microbiology

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 12:19 pm
I am currently in my last year of undergraduate in the University, completing my Bachelor in Microbiology. I am looking into going into the Master’s program for Microbiology. However, there are some questions I have regarding this path of study. I have been reading around about these things, but I would like some personal/subjective opinions regarding the questions I have. If you just have the answer for one of these questions, that would be fine by me. I just want some information and opinions about this.

What does the Microbiology Master entail? As in, how is the area of study, how detailed is it, etc.

What career opportunities do you have with a Master’s in Microbiology? I know Microbiologist (duh), medical microbiologist, etc. Could you explain what you do in these fields just mentioned, and also in other fields?

How is Microbiology compared to Molecular Medicine, Neuroscience, Biomedical Science, Biotechnology, and related fields?

And last but not least, what is the salary for someone with a Microbiology Master? If you could also tell me in what field of Microbiology this salary is for, I would greatly appreciate it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,847 • Replies: 4
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 01:26 pm
@AutoToxicMan,
Let me introduce you to my little friend...

https://www.google.com/
bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 02:28 pm
@McGentrix,
I don't know, McGentrix, a2k has the highest concentration of advance degrees since Harvard and MIT combined in "Microbiology.... Molecular Medicine, Neuroscience, Biomedical Science, Biotechnology, and related fields", fer sure. Gungasnake claims expertise in all of the above and more.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 02:56 pm
@AutoToxicMan,
Contact your school (even if you don't intend to get your MS there) and ask them what their program entails. As for salaries, try Salary.com or Indeed.com, and also ask your academic advisor.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2014 03:12 pm
@AutoToxicMan,
The earnings are not great. If you truly love the work, then it's all that matters. It depends on your grades, university...heard the CDC was great. If you like research or even forensics...you'll be fine. Always best with a doctoral degree.
0 Replies