what's the discrepancy between a university and a college.

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 04:01 am
what's the difference between a university and a college? as to their functions and forms.
thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,885 • Replies: 23
No top replies

NeoGuin

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 05:55 am
I believe that College is supposed to have a more Liberal Arts bent while Universities are a bit more technical.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 06:12 am
Neoquixote--

I believe "difference" is a better word that "discrepancy". When two units are "different" each can be valid. A "discrepancy" implies that there are two separate sets of facts and only one can be true.

As for your question:

A college offers Bachelor's degrees in a variety of fields. A University offers Bachelor's, Master's and Doctoral degrees in a variety of fields.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:36 am
Quote:
A college offers Bachelor's degrees in a variety of fields. A University offers Bachelor's, Master's and Doctoral degrees in a variety of fields.

Noddy- Agree. Also, a university may have many different colleges, that make up the entire institution. For instance, College of Liberal Arts, College of Business, etc.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 02:51 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Neoquixote--

I believe "difference" is a better word that "discrepancy". When two units are "different" each can be valid. A "discrepancy" implies that there are two separate sets of facts and only one can be true.

As for your question:

thanks enough.
and others. Smile
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:04 am
You are probably not interested in the difference between a University and a College in Britain, are you? If you are; the difference here is that a University can issue its own degrees, whereas a College relies on a University to do this. An example would be the teaching college, Newman, which depends on Birmingham University to issue degrees.

The only few differences that come to my mind are those of Oxbridge and Durham. In these, the Colleges are actually part of a University-- like Balliol in Oxford-- but have their own staff, support systems, buildings and accomodation.

0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:19 am
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
You are probably not interested in the difference between a University and a College in Britain, are you? If you are; the difference here is that a University can issue its own degrees, whereas a College relies on a University to do this. An example would be the teaching college, Newman, which depends on Birmingham University to issue degrees.

The only few differences that come to my mind are those of Oxbridge and Durham. In these, the Colleges are actually part of a University-- like Balliol in Oxford-- but have their own staff, support systems, buildings and accomodation.

thanks dròm_et_rêve, i know the condition in Camgride, because i have applied for a graduate programme there, and i got only a conditional offer from the university because i need pay them the tuition and other cost. yea, the colleges are ran independently, for i got the offer from one college even after i told the university i woud not accept the offer.

0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 11:06 am
In the USA, the lines between 'college' and 'university' have become awfully blurred over the years. In the trditional sense, both Noddy and Pheonix are quite right. Colleges are supposed to confer only undergraduate (i.e. bachelor's) degrees and a university will usually consist of a number of different colleges, as Phoenix has pointed out, each specializing in a particular set of dsiciplines. But it's not always so. There are now colleges which are, in fact, full-fledged universities, yet maintain the name 'college.' Boston College is one such example. It confers doctorates and master's degrees in many fields, yet is called Boston College. It can't very well change its name to Boston University as BU already exists and is BC's traditional rival in sports. Many Americans, in everyday speech, will say "When I was in college," when, in fact, they mean "When I was at university." And this is true even of people who have graduated from such pretigious universities as Harvard or Columbia.
0 Replies

billy falcon

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 09:46 am
While we're at it. Is it correct to say "I graduated from college in 1988?"

You are a graduate. But the college or university conferred or granted the degree upon you, graduated you, and made you a graduate.

Just checked with the spouse who has a couple of decades teaching English. She who must be obeyed informs me that "I graduated from college in 1988" is common useage" and is acceptable.

Because I type so slowly, I am sending the question anyway.

(Anybody remember "Rumpole of the Bailey?")
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 11:21 am
i graduated as an English major from the Class of '60.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 11:25 am
In Canada, colleges are not degree-granting. They do not have what would be considered liberal arts programs. They offer programs leading to specific, technical vocations.

Only universities are degree-granting here.

You also need a different type of high-school education here to get into university.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2004 12:05 pm
Many people say "I graduated college", which always rubs my ears the wrong way. But I've seen that used in the New York Times and other bastions of grammatical rectitude, and gather that is an acceptable usage.

I think of graduating as something you do to an object, say, a cylinder or Erlenmeyer flask. Thus we can have a graduated cylinder, one that is marked with gradations...

I graduated FROM the university quite a while ago, but I wasn't the one who graduated the schooling period into freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years.

Language changes..
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 01:41 pm
The disticnt meaning have been lost over the years as both colleges and universities off the same things. Tomayto tomahto
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 01:53 pm
Re: what's the discrepancy between a university and a colleg
Neoquixote wrote:
what's the discrepancy between a university and a college? as to their functions and forms.
thanks

A University consists of a group of Colleges. Many Colleges, on the other hand exist stricty on their own, not being incorporated into the formal structure of a University.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 07:33 pm
Some fairly low level places with a sense of public relations have named themselves universities. One should be careful and look at the catalogs of available degrees and courses.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:35 pm
hmmmmm, universities, as degree-granting institutions, are tightly regulated here in Canada. They can't just decide on their own that they are universities. Similarly, colleges have to go through fairly rigorous qualification systems to be granted college status by the various provinces.

Definitely different things going on in different countries in re the differences between colleges and universities.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:54 pm
I remember a local secretarial "college" that suddenly became a university, so-called. Sigh. I have no idea if they have since somewhat legitimized, but cringed at the time.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 07:56 pm
Universities grant doctoral level degrees. Colleges usually grant bachelors degrees and sometimes masters degrees. That's the only difference I'm aware of.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 08:27 pm
Seems that it all depends on what part of the English-speaking world one lives in.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 09:33 pm
This was a secretarial school when I was in high school and college*, on Wilshire Blvd. toward downtown if you were a bird flying from the west side of town, JL.
http://www.woodbury.edu/

Another one,
http://www.antiochla.edu/

I am not saying they don't teach worthwhile information at these places. A friend of mine has a masters in family counselling from antioch. I just don't think of it as a university. Maybe it has multiplied as a business, as most educational establishments are, and maybe somewhere in their burgeoning system they give a doctorate.

*(well, to be clearer on that, my "college" was at a university, UCLA)

I am also wondering if Pepperdine University gives doctorates. That is another one that has grown immensely fast. Haven't looked it up yet.

I don't mean to sound as snotty as this must seem. My later in life landscape architecture education was through university extension (3 1/2 years) and wasn't degree conferring, although I passed national boards after that for certification. When I went through it most of us, including myself, had degrees in something else; now I think you have to to be in the program. In any case, I think you have to have a degree take the exam now, at least in California.
0 Replies