ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 10:29 am
Meantime, here are people doing something I take as very useful -

An epidemiologist at Columbia University Mailman school of Public Health had gotten together a volunteer group of academics and undergrads in subjects like biomedical engineering to work on immediate solutions to help. A lot of the ideas appear to be excellent, especially by the undergrads, but now I can't find the link, even in my history list from this morning. Grrrr.
JPB

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 10:36 am
@ossobuco,
I think it's more a financial issue than a health issue. As long as we're operating under a policy of contacting public contacts (expensive and requires a lot of manpower) then it's cheaper (and provides an emotional sense of safety to the public) to keep returning health care workers in isolation than it is to find everyone in a bowling alley or shop or restaurant or wherever else someone might go the day of/before spiking a fever. Hopefully, once we get to the point where we're comfortable with the idea of end-stage illness being the point where the public needs to be concerned we'll back off on the "abundance of caution" policies in place right now. Personally, invoking this policy now and applying to people who are already overseas and don't know what to expect when they return is intrusive, imo. I do think it will reduce the number of people willing to volunteer. I don't think it's an informed decision by these governors.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 10:39 am
@ossobuco,
Found it -

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/27/hands-deck

Dept. of Solutions
OCTOBER 27, 2014
All Hands on Deck
BY SOPHIE BRICKMAN

Dr. W. Ian Lipkin, an epidemiology professor at Columbia University’s Mailman School of Public Health and one of the world’s leading infectious-disease investigators, was on his way to a meeting on campus last Wednesday. He would have preferred to be in West Africa. He worked on the ground in Asia during the SARS epidemic and in Saudi Arabia studying the respiratory virus MERS. But seven weeks ago, as Ebola continued its horrifying siege, he fell on some stairs and broke his foot.

Lipkin, who is sixty-one, had his left knee resting on a scooter, his foot in a large black boot. “I can’t possibly get into a P.P.E. suit,” he said, referring to the personal protective equipment that health workers must wear when tending to Ebola patients.

A few weeks ago, Lipkin teamed up with Linda Fried, Mailman’s dean, and Mary Boyce, the dean of the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, to see how Columbia might help combat the epidemic. On October 2nd, Lipkin announced a university-wide design challenge: to develop low-cost technology-driven solutions to Ebola. All students and faculty, past and present, were invited to participate, and could spend up to a hundred and fifty dollars on materials. Each team had to create a prototype in less than two weeks. “We had to truncate the time frame,” Lipkin said. “People are dying.”

A day after the competition started, eighteen teams presented their preliminary ideas to a team of experts. “We eliminated fifty per cent based on relevance,” Lipkin said. “There were proposals that were naïve, that required doing complex diagnostics with saliva, things like that. These people were typically faculty. They’re hardheaded. They weren’t listening. But the undergraduates! People talk about ennui and apathy in undergraduates? I don’t see it. They came up with some fantastic stuff.”

The finalists made their presentations twelve days later, before a panel comprising Lipkin and seven other faculty members. Ponisseril Somasundaran, a professor of mineral engineering, started with a presentation on bleach foam. He played a video, shot at six that morning outside a Columbia parking garage, of a hose spraying bleach foam on a shower curtain. Using bleach in foam form can decontaminate areas more effectively than spraying a simple bleach solution, because foam smothers what it covers. Lipkin was impressed. “Think of a bubble bath,” he said. “You can see there are bubbles all over everything, as opposed to if an area is just wet.”

Next was a group of six students who had come up with an Ebola Containment Suit, which could contain a patient’s bodily fluids while providing adequate ventilation and hydration. A yellow prototype was placed on the conference table. The conversation turned to feces containment.

“We’d like to create a boxer brief, or trouser-like design,” Michael Maloney, a master’s student in civil engineering, said.

“And we’ve lined part of it with absorbency pads,” William Joe Smith, a junior majoring in biomedical engineering, added. The team estimated that the material would cost forty cents.

“That’ll cost more than forty cents!” Lipkin said.

“I called up DuPont and asked what the cost would be,” Ritish Patnaik, a junior, said. “They estimated it cost them forty-two cents on their end, but we’re hoping they’ll sell it to us at forty cents because of the purpose.”

The panel heard seven more proposals. There was a decontamination chamber for electronics, a text-message-based communication system to help coördinate surveillance, and a foldable wooden cot with a plastic covering designed to contain bodily fluids during sickness and death. It had to be presented in the hallway, because it couldn’t fit through the door.

One panelist, a doctor, was concerned with the sanitary disposal of corpses. “The pressure you get from an exploding abdomen,” he said. “Will that blow off the cover?” The presenters weren’t sure.

One of the most easily implemented ideas was a colored bleach spray, which the panel surmised might work in conjunction with Somasundaran’s bleach foam.

“The solution almost sticks, and coats every nook, cranny, and wrinkle of a P.P.E. suit,” an undergraduate engineering student named Jason Kang said. Other bleach sprays simply bead up on the suits’ hydrophobic material. “Using the color coding, you can say, ‘Here’s a blood spot. I want to spray that with blue, so I can see it,’ ” he continued.

It would cost four cents to disinfect one suit, and the solution would be easily transportable. “Think of it like those Tide laundry pods you drop in water,” Kang said.

After the team filed out, Lipkin said, “It’d be perfect for spraying down trucks and taxis. It’s exciting. I want to make sure those kids don’t get lost.”

When the presentations were finished, Lipkin was pleased. “Students are far more creative than the fossils they were talking to in that room,” he said. “That’s just the nature of who we are.” He thought that the bleach foam, in particular, could be a game changer. “People in the field told us they were having difficulty with decontamination,” he said. “If we can come up with an inexpensive way to produce the foam, and as long as it’s not going to impede the disinfecting capacity, that could go in immediately. It’s a simple solution.”

The following week, he planned to meet with a group of what he called “high-value individuals who have the potential to support some of this work.” Revised PowerPoint presentations would be sent to health workers in Africa to gauge interest. “I’m optimistic that at least one, and probably more, of these solutions will make its way into the armamentarium and will help in addressing the challenge of Ebola in Africa,” he said. “And elsewhere.” ♦
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 10:43 am
@JPB,
Agree on all you just said.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 12:47 pm
Dressing up in yellow hazmat "Ebola suits" seems to be the hit for Halloween Shocked

http://i58.tinypic.com/2pt2x78.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/2m3jlv5.jpg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 02:25 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
... and a smartphone game where players aim to wipe out humanity with incurable diseases has soared in popularity during the Ebola outbreak and is now dominating the iPhone download charts.

Not that I'm searching for those news: they came up today as part of the big stories about how the USA deals with Ebola in the news and media here.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 02:37 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Ugh.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 02:57 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
we do send mixed signals eh?
News crwlers are off on other topics and its FOOBALL DAY
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 04:47 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:
I think the NY/NJ/IL requirement of a 21 day isolation/quarantine of any health care provider returning to this country after providing care to sick people in endemic areas is excessive.

I think it's unconstitutional as applied, too. Consider, for example, the case of Kacie Hickox, a nurse who returned from West Africa and whom the state of New Jersey is currently quarantaining against her will. In the United States, it is unconstitutional for a state to just lock people up without cause. Hickox has no symptoms of Ebola. Her blood tested negative for the disease. What right does New Jersey have to detain her against her will? Stay tuned as Hickox has hired an ACLU lawyer and intends to push back through the courts. More power to her!
JPB

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 04:59 pm
@Thomas,
I agree. And, as I said above, I think these decisions are more financial (and political) than they are public safety connected.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 05:42 pm
@Thomas,
Listening, veering to Hickox..

Many years ago and far away I was a microbiology major, and the book that roused my interest that week of choosing a major was the book Arrowsmith. Dramatic at the time. This was in 1960 that I started at a good university with classes in all this. I remember about reporting for people with this and that to the health department. My fond of aunt's first husband died of TB and she was sent to Arizona to be watched for some long time. Our class went through a facility where guinea pigs romped or rested in great long pens. I then liked and still do like guinea pigs. Fear of TB was still large (and it's back). That was at Olive View.

Earlier I had participated in public health inquiry by the nature of my first job, taking mini xrays of patients admitted to our then and now very good hospital in 1957, after school and weekends (I was sixteen) to see if any of them had TB show up. Just after that (a couple of years), I did the research in medical records to see what they found - no TB, but I liked looking through records - a med student was running the study. All I remember of him was that he hated Tchaikovsky and was pleasant, plus his name.

Anyway, I was public health oriented by definition back then, still am, but less trusting.

About thirty years later I figured out that I might have an eye condition, retinitis pigmentosa. I think I saw an ad about it, and the description fit. So, I went to UCLA Jules Stein eye clinic to get checked out, and the resident who saw me was very doubtful, and then, having checked to be sure, and then checked above him, agreed, but that took a while, and I asked to be kicked up the ladder to the RP honcho. In the middle of that, they gave me lots of tests and shone a lot of light in my eyeballs, including by a batch of interns or residents. One of the tests involved syphilis, as nightblindness, which I have long had, can happen with that.

I had on my chart a notice that I did not want to be called at work, our office being wildly busy, and the opposite of private. I got a call at work, that my syphilis test was positive. I grumbled at the woman - who needs this when the client is screaming hurry up. I heard - after inquiry - enough about what the test was, some immunofluorescent thing, and the result was 1+.

I had a background in all this, as it happened, being the one who read all the immunofluorescent tests in our labs, and I was chary re 1+ for many (many) reasons, usually best as a marker for someone getting better from some higher plus.

I called (via to whom from my boss) the head of Infectious Disease, who got it, and told me to tell the resident doctor to order another upper level test. Which came out fine.

In the meantime, I was worrying about how to tell my past sexual partners, which was a mandate back then, and, who knows, maybe is now too.
Sturm and Drang for a while.

This is just a glimpse from a long time ago. People can be greatly rocked by overreaction.

Add to that real fear, fear in the population..

who needs a virus?

georgeob1

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 06:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I think critics are exaggerating what they call the public hysteria over Ebola for their own purposes. Instead I believe many are reacting to a government that is relentlessly extending its power into the regulation of our lives, while, at the same time, giving us all a steady stream of examples of its venality & incompetence and a steady disregard of criticism or even political opposition. That is something that causes widespread concern and which, in my view, is the major underlying element in all of this.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Oct, 2014 07:07 pm
@georgeob1,
I read widely, fast, probably sloppily, and mildly internationally, and see ignorance flying about, which is actually reasonable given the situation.

I'm not with you on the government extending its power thing. I think that is in flux and that many are watchful from whatever sides of u.s. aisles.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 04:43 am
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 06:45 am
@ossobuco,
http://www.mailman.columbia.edu/news/ebola-facts ?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 06:46 am
@JPB,
Study: Fear of Ebola Highest Among People
Study: Fear of Ebola Highest Among People Who Did Not Pay Attention During Math and Science Classes

BY ANDY BOROWITZ

A new study, by the University of Minnesota, indicates that fear of contracting the Ebola virus is highest among Americans who did not pay attention during math and science classes.

According to the study, those whose minds were elsewhere while being taught certain concepts, like what a virus is and numbers, are at a significantly greater risk of being afraid of catching Ebola than people who were paying even scant attention.

Interviews conducted with people who spent math and science classes focussing on what they would be having for dinner or what the student in front of them was wearing revealed the difficulty they are currently having grasping basic facts about Ebola.

For example, when a participant of the study was told that he had a one-in-thirteen-million chance of contracting the virus, his response was, “Whoa. Thirteen million is a really big number. That is totally scary.”

Davis Logsdon, who conducted the study for the University of Minnesota, puts the number of Americans who did not pay attention during math and science classes at seventy-two per cent, but adds, “I seriously doubt most people will know what that means.”

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/study-fear-ebola-highest-among-people-pay-attention-math-science-classes?utm_source=tny&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=borowitz&mbid=nl_102614_Borowitz&CUST_ID=27748907&spMailingID=7232971&spUserID=NTA0MzY0NTc2NDgS1&spJobID=542865219&spReportId=NTQyODY1MjE5S0
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 06:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thats the nice thing about internet surfing, you don't need to find a lot if this stuff, it will find you!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 07:17 am
@Thomas,
Apparently she's living in a tent on the hospital grounds. Seriously? Govs Christie and Cuomo have said any local resident returning through NJ/NY can be quarantined at home but Kickox cannot be transported to Maine. What a ridiculous statement. Someone coming through JFK can go home to Buffalo but not to ME? Total bs.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 07:35 am
@JPB,
A cold tent, too.

JPB

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2014 08:10 am
@ossobuco,
WaPo indicates she's being "released" today and returning to Maine via private transport.