Baseball Hall of Fame: yer outta there!

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:19 pm
OK, this might be fun.

Who do you think should be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame who isn't there now? (This list might help you make up your mind)

Who do you think shouldn't be there who has already been inducted? (Here's a list of all the players in the Hall of Fame)

My choices:
Players who should be there:
Ron Santo -- as good a fielder as Brooks Robinson and better offensive stats.

Joe Torre -- probably the only reason he's not there right now is because voters are deciding whether he should be elected as a player or as a manager.

Bruce Sutter -- I'm not a big fan of inducting relievers (please, God, don't let Lee Smith in!), but Sutter revolutionized relief pitching and introduced the split-fingered fastball. If Candy Cummings is in there, then Sutter should be there too.

Luis Tiant -- Hey, if Jim Bunning is in, why is Luis Tiant out?

Players who shouldn't be there:
Dennis Eckersley -- what a travesty! Everyone made a big deal about how he's the only pitcher to have been a 20 game winner and had 50 saves in a season during the course of his career. But he only won 20 games once and he only had 50 saves once. Apart from his 20-game season, he was better-than-mediocre: as a reliever he was somewhat above-average. Hardly Hall of Famer material.

Hack Wilson -- As much as I hate to say it (see my avatar), Wilson shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. He was elected on the basis of one great year (1929) and one astronomically phenomenal year (1930). Otherwise, he was just above-average (or worse). If Roger Maris can't get in on the strength of two great years, neither should Wilson (or, for that matter, Eckersley -- see above).

Ross Youngs, Amos Rusie -- Two players elected as much on the promise of seasons that they didn't play as their performances in years where they did. Youngs died of a kidney disorder after a 10-year career; Rusie, who apparently was something of a malcontented drunk, retired after a 10-year pitching career with a lame arm. It's too bad that they couldn't have played more seasons, but then it's also too bad that Ted Williams didn't surpass Ruth's home run record because of his military service. Them's the breaks, kids. If we give awards for careers that might have been, then Ray Chapman and Tony Conigliaro should be inducted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,595 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 12:47 pm
Lew Burdette! (OK, I'm a Braves fan.)
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 02:48 pm
Pete Rose?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 03:02 pm
Barry Bonds. Why the heck do you have to be retired to be in the hall?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 03:12 pm
Put the Howard boys in. Elston and Frank.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 03:29 pm
Bill James makes the case for Ron Santo. According to his numbers, Santo is the 6th best 3rd baseman of all time. Not quite Robinson in the field, but not far off; and, as joefromchicago says, a better offensive player.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 04:18 pm
I want Sandberg in there.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 04:46 pm
Hear Hear...saw Santo on TV the other day...looks great.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 06:50 am
Tiant isn't in the hall? Embarrassed Hmm, thinking...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 04:04 pm
Dale Murphy, a great player and a true gentleman.
0 Replies