Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 911" Wins Palme d'Or at Cannes

couzz

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 07:24 am
June 1, 2004:
The trade publication Daily Variety reports that Moore was eyeing a June 25 or July 2 theatrical release date for the movie, "Fahrenheit 9/11," with a home-video release in October. But getting into theaters during those busy weekends at this late date will provide logistical challenges for the film's distributors, according to the report.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:34 am
Here's more detail on that press release:

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/01/news/midcaps/moore_movie/index.htm
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:36 am
The Weinsteins (MIRAMAX) now officially own the rights to the film.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:09 pm
Good deal. Then it shouldn't be long before it opens stateside.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:11 pm
The sources say around the end of June to the beginning of July with a DVD release by October.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 02:12 pm
(Look for some bitter debate in the Political section when it is released!)
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 09:15 pm
I waited for DVD on Bowling for Columbine. I'll probably catch this at a matinee. Seems it needs the "big screen" effect lol
0 Replies

buffytheslayer

Reply Tue 1 Jun, 2004 11:19 pm
I read on MSNBC that Lion's Gate and IFC Films will release the movie on June 25 and that Showtime will get the pay cable rights.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 10:08 am
Fahrenheit 9/11 Opens June 25
June 4, 2004
Fahrenheit 9/11 Opens June 25
Hey Everyone...

As you may have heard by now, we finally have a distributor in America for "Fahrenheit 9/11." Actually, two of them! Lions Gate Films and IFC Films have agreed to aggressively distribute "Fahrenheit 9/11" in theaters all across the country beginning three weeks from today on Friday, June 25th. We are, needless to say, extremely grateful for their courage (trust me, no matter what the potential box office may be, anyone who has considered taking on this distribution job has also met with a lot of pressure NOT to do it in the past month).

They will open it on a record number of screens for a documentary. There is no stopping it now!

These are great distributors. Jon Feltheimer, the man who runs Lions Gate, was the executive in charge of the company that produced my television series, "TV Nation." And the people at IFC (which owned Bravo) were the same people responsible for funding and broadcasting my other series, "The Awful Truth." So we are in very good hands.

(And, as an added bonus, Lions Gate is a Canadian company. Once again, the Canadians to the rescue! It was also a Canadian company, Salter Street Films, that produced "Bowling for Columbine." I know, it's kinda sad we have to keep depending on our good neighbors to the north. But maybe this is the year we give 'em their Stanley Cup back.)

There's a lot more to tell you -- and I will write to you again over the next few days. I'm in the mood to spill some beans, much to the consternation of certain people. Oh well!

Also, I have posted the trailer for "Fahrenheit 9/11" so that you can get your first glimpse at scenes from the movie--you can check it out at www.fahrenheit911.com.

Thanks for all your wonderful letters of support -- they have meant a great deal to us.

Save the date -- June 25! It's the first summer film where the special effects will be real...

Yours truly,
M-I-C (see ya real soon!)
K-E-Y (why? because they can't kill this friggin' movie!)
M-O-O-R-E

P.S. For our fans in the rest of the world, don't worry -- you already have distributors. And most of you will also be able to see it this summer! Thanks.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 10:57 am
Who Are The Mystery Men Behind The Attack On Michael Moore?
Monday, June 14, 2004
Who Are The Mystery Men Behind The Attack On Michael Moore?
by max blumenthal

A mysterious group has suddenly emerged to mobilize wing-nut opposition to Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11. The group, "Move America Forward," bills itself as "a national organization working to build support for our troops, the military, our Commander in Chief and the War on Terrorism."

On its site it publishes a list of contact info for "anti-American" studio executives and asks followers to bombard them with angry emails and letters.

Alternative Press Review reports that the site is registered to Russo, Marsh and Brown, a California consulting firm.

From my work covering the campaign to recall Gov. Gray Davis last year, I know the "Russo" in that firm is Sal Russo, a top GOP consultant who was instrumental in getting the recall off the ground before anyone had heard of it.

Russo also worked on Bill Simon's hapless 2002 gubernatorial campaign until he was fired for overbilling Simon. A Sacramento Bee reporter told me in August, 2003, "Russo is in this to line his pockets. Everybody knows that."

MOVE AMERICA FORWARD site: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1140479/posts
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:12 am
Republicans are behind the effort to censor Fahrenheit 9/11
Posted by: APR on Jun 13, 2004 - 08:27 AM
Censorship
By Kurt Nimmo
http://www.altpr.org/

So desperate are Bush Republicans to kill Michael Moore's latest film, Fahrenheit 9/11, they have hired a public relations firm to set up a web site attacking Moore. The site, MoveAmericaForward.com, claims to be "non-partisan," but a glance at the "About" page of the site reveals the director and staff of Move America Forward are all diehard Republicans, anti-tax activists, and former legislative staffers. The PR firm is Russo Marsh & Rogers.

Russo Marsh & Rogers is a GOP consultation firm. In 2002, Ron Rogers teamed up with Reagan heavyweight Lyn Nofziger and Ed Rollins to work on the gubernatorial campaign of Bill Simon (see Campaign movements -- People & Organizations.)

Thanks to the detective work of WhatReallyHappened.com, it was revealed that Move America Forward's web site was registered in the name of Russo Marsh & Rogers. In other words, Move America Forward is about as partisan as it gets without putting the GOP seal of approval on the web site. In short, Move America Forward's campaign is a Republican dirty trick designed to smear Moore and pressure move theater owners not to run his film.

"Time is short," the Move America Forward web site declares, "we must act now to have our voices heard in time to make a difference. Help us get messages from millions of Americans sent to these film industry executives."

Certainly, time is short for the Republicans -- millions of Americans are about to learn how George Bush had a business relationship with the Bin Laden family -- and they will learn it right before the election. Russo and the "non-partisan" Republicans want to make sure you never see Moore's film. They don't want you to know the truth about Bush and his buddy-buddy dealings with the Saudis.

Incidentally, after a WHOIS check -- WHOIS is a searchable database maintained by registries and registrars that contains information about domain name registrations on the internet -- was run on MoveAmericaForward.com and it was discovered that the site was registered in the name of Russo Marsh & Rogers. Soon after this information was posted on the web, the registrant name was modified to omit Russo Marsh & Rogers.

Not only do the Republicans not want you to go see Moore's film, they also don't want you to know they are behind the campaign to smear Moore and pressure theater owners into not running the film. It's just like the Republicans to do this sort of thing behind your back. Of course, it is rather lazy and stupid of the Republicans to not think about WHOIS. But then nearly everything about the Republicans lately -- from the lies behind the invasion of Iraq to clumsily attempting to cover up the TortureGate scandal -- has been lazy and stupid.

Don't be fooled. The Bush Republicans are behind this now transparent effort to silence Michael Moore. If you care about the First Amendment and don't like the idea of Republicans dictating to theaters what movies you can see, write Russo Marsh & Rogers and tell them what you think. The contact person is Douglas Lorenz and his email address is: [email protected]. If you live in Sacramento, you may want to drop by the Russo Marsh & Rogers offices and ask why they want to censor movies: 770 L Street, #950, Sacramento, CA 95814.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:21 am
BBB do you have a link for the above post?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 11:27 am
Acquiunk
Acquiunk wrote:
BBB do you have a link for the above post?

try this link: http://www.altpr.org/
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:14 pm
BBB the link as posted did not find the article.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 12:57 pm
I'm just chuckling how much they obviously fear Michael Moore.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 01:32 pm
A whole lot of bad debts are suddenly coming due for Bush, Moore is only one.
0 Replies

couzz

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 03:44 pm
I am still waiting for the last single straw....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:33 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
A whole lot of bad debts are suddenly coming due for Bush, Moore is only one.

And with the election just a few months away, the timing couldn't be better!

THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES! THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 05:33 pm
Unless he has Osama to suddenly produce from his sleeve, he'll be like David Copperfield who tries to make something appear and there's nothing there.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:31 pm
Actually, I was hoping for something more like Geraldo Rivera opening the vault to find no WMD there.
0 Replies