appealing image more important than the reality behind it?

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 02:16 am
Creating an appealing image has become more important in contemporary society than is the reality or truth behind that image?

For most of the past fifty years, the increasing development of liberal economy and democracy, along with the dramatic advancement of technology, have furbished people with so many choices in all aspects of their lives that they are confused about how to chose, and the quick rhythm of modern life leave no enough time for people to investigate more detailedly when they make a choice. Therefore, an appealing image has become very important for a product, a person, a political idea, and so on, to catch more eyes of people. However, only an inviting/attractive/ fascinating appearance could go nowhere but trick people for a while, when they debunk the brilliant surface with poor reality behind it, they will cast it away immediately.

Undoubtedly, a good image is always important, as we know, a beautiful girl always has more pursuer. In modern society, especially in commercial fields, the importance of an appealing appearance is dramatically increased, because the consumers' first sight of one product has considerable influence on their purchasing pattern. This is why companies attach much importance to the design of the configurations and packages of their products. Assume a simple scenario, if one is hungry and need some chocolates, he enters a supermarket and finds several brands of chocolate, for the same rate of price that he can accept, which brand he would take? Commonly, he would take the one with most exquisite package, because when there is no other reference, better package means better quality. Moreover, the companies could go further by exhibiting an inviting expression to assure the consumer that their product is more valuable, better quality more credible. So advertisement is necessary in marketing activities and generally really efficient, especially on those who approach one kind of products for the first time. Similarly, an attractive image could make people in communicative activities have more chances to be know, and win more proponents for political candidates.

However, only bearing tawdry appearance could contribute nothing to the improvement of the society and people would not allow the exhibitors enjoy their benefits without real content to match the fascinating images. If a housewife follows the advertisement and spends one dollar to buy a brand of soap with delicate package, but find out it dose not work well in washing, she would never buy it again and she will tell her friends and neighbors about this, then they all would not buy this brand of soap. In the case of job seeking, even one gain the position by a good expression in interview, if he would not perform competently at this position, he would be fired soon. In the same way, political leaders would easily lose their supporters as long as they do not really perform as good as they claimed to do. Therefore, we should not care only about the faces of things, the true content and reality are more important.

In sum, appearance is part of the whole thing, we should create an appealing image to make things more attractive, while to cover really good quality and perfect content behind the surface is our real task, for it is the products in the package that serve the demand of people's life, it is the hearts and characters of one's friends that company with him in his life; and it is the policies and instruments of the political leader that improve the condition of the society and make people live better.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,393 • Replies: 7
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 03:49 am
I completely agree. I am a chef, and so appearance is important to the client, but only to a certain degree. If it only looks good, but doesn't taste good, it is essentially a failure. It is the same for the popular trend of cooks using garnish simply for colour, without any thought to how it might affect the flavour of the dish. To rely, in any field, on appearance alone, is to be narrow-minded. Advertisers use appearance to their advantage, that is their job. I have learned to ignore ads, and I always know when I am being manipulated. It is my hope that more people will realize this too.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 03:51 am
I am a little confused by your last paragraph though.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:25 am
cavfancier wrote:
I am a little confused by your last paragraph though.

yea, the last paragraph is not good organized, and, you know i lack a good skill in making conclusion in such kind of writing. i'll try to learn more about it.
by the way, you said you are a chef, that's great, what kind of food do you cook.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:34 am
I had very good training in all manners of world cuisine, so I can cook anything really. If I choose the dishes myself, I like to blend my influences into a unique style.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 06:34 am
I never want to stop learning more however.
0 Replies

Neoquixote

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 09:28 pm
cavfancier wrote:

cavfancier wrote:
nice job, CAV, i think a real professional chef would never be only a chef, he or she could really expand his or her knowledge in cooking to any other fields, and absorb arts and philosophies from the out to inspire his/her professional work, for he who can only follow others---no matter how great the one be followed is---in cooking skills and styles, he is not a good cook.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 22 May, 2004 09:30 pm
I couldn't agree more.
0 Replies