Roasted vegetables: at what temperature?

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 06:29 pm
I usually roast vegetables at anywhere from 375 to 450. Right now it's pretty hot (and we don't have air conditioning) so I was thinking I might slow roast some in my electric smoker (with no wood chips) and avoid heating up the kitchen. (I think the max. temp. on the smoker is 275.)

From my reading I understand that roasting at lower temperatures makes for a "creamier" vegetable. That sounds good but I really like the caramelization you can only achieve with high temperature roasting.

I was thinking that I could slow roast the vegetables in the smoker and then finish them off on the grill.

Do you think this would work?

(I will be roasting fingerling potatoes, brussel sprouts, onion, and carrots.)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,531 • Replies: 12
Topic Closed
No top replies

Butrflynet

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:35 pm
@boomerang,
I think it will work for all but the onion unless you keep the root end of the onion attached and halve it by slicing through the middle of the root. Same treatment probably goes for the brussel sprouts to keep them both from falling apart in the cooking process.
boomerang

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 07:46 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good point.

I could throw them in a grill basket or even a cast iron pan....

I'm doing a cedar plank salmon too so the fire might still be hot enough.
Butrflynet

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 08:13 pm
@boomerang,
That sounds wonderful. You can't get much fresher salmon than that caught in your northwest backyard.
ossobuco

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 08:26 pm
I slow roast, 350 or 375, and braise slower, especially on some meats.

Various sucky things can happen at high temps, but my main reason is that I'm a slow person.
boomerang

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:14 pm
@Butrflynet,
We caught the fish yesterday so its super fresh!

I should have cooked it today but that wasn't going to happen but I think it will be fine tomorrow!
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 09:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Meats and vegetables handle the heat so differently though. I usually sear meat off and super slow roast it but I've never slow roasted vegetables before. I just don't want to heat up the house with the oven so I'm looking for an alternative.

I guess I could roast them in the morning when it's cool and then rewarm them but they seem to lose their umph when they're rewarmed.
Butrflynet

Mon 21 Jul, 2014 10:40 pm
@boomerang,
Do you have a slow cooker or pressure cooker? If not, they are a good investment for hot summer month cooking.

You might also consider the microwave. You could par cook the veggies in separate customized batches in the microwave and then finish them off on the grill to add that caramelized flavor. That's how I do caramelized onions so it doesn't take so long for them to carmelize on the stove.

You might also be able to put them in some hobo/foil packs and do them on the grill. It will trap the steam to help them cook while getting some browning from the heat.
PUNKEY

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 06:58 am
All these veggies will not cook at the same temperature. for example, I would blanch the carrots, brocolli and potatoes, toss with olive oil, then put on grill. Put on onions and peppers, with the tomatoes last.

Turn grill down to medium. (325) and turn veggies often. That's how I do it.

Salmon - 10 minutes per inch.

boomerang

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 08:03 am
@Butrflynet,
I can use the smoker as a slow cooker. It's electric and if you don't add wood chips it just does a slow roast. I really like dry roasted vegetables more than steamed or "wet baked" (I don't know the right term -- where you roast it and it gets moist from the juices.)

It rained this morning and has really cooled off. I might be able to get away with just roasting them in the oven. That would be a relief!
0 Replies

boomerang

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 08:05 am
@PUNKEY,
I don't want to grill the vegetables to cook them -- I want to roast them.

I was thinking I could just finish them up on the grill to caramelize the exteriors a bit after roasting them to tender.
0 Replies

Lash

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 08:10 am
I roasted medium to large beets yesterday. Oven on 400. Beets wrapped individually like Hershey's kisses in aluminium foil. After an hour, and a 15 min cool down, the skins slipped off and they were so soft and yummy. The kitchen did begin to get hot.
0 Replies

Linkat

Tue 22 Jul, 2014 02:16 pm
@boomerang,
Why not just cook them entirely on the grill? I like to sprinkle veggies with olive oil and then season them with whatever I got - let them soak a little and toss on the grill and cook. Why bother with another step with the electric smoker?

They are quite yummy grilled.

Quote:
I don't want to grill the vegetables to cook them -- I want to roast them.

Oops sorry -- slow to the party.
0 Replies