Today's market drop of 161 points

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 02:25 pm
It's really an overrated reaction to what's happening between Russia and the US.
Only two companies are involved, VISA and the American oil company in Russia.

The economic growth in the US is much more than just these two companies, so why should two companies impact the stock market this much?

Emotion.

Watch out what emotion does to the stock market vs all the improving news about the economy in the US. Basically, the macro-economics of the US is more important than two companies - no matter how one wishes to stretch the 'bad news.'

If past stock market swings are any indication of the future of our stock market, I'd place $$$$ on our economy over the bad news of today.

What say you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,310 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 02:47 pm
Sell stocks, buy uncut diamonds and head for the hills.

Do some fishing until it's all over.
chai2

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:05 pm
I sold off about 2/3's of my stocks, all at a gain, knowing they were going to go down, within the last couple of weeks.

This put me at 91% of my goal for the year, and I've got more than 5 months to go.

I'm happy. I'm watching about 7 or 8 stocks to get into at some point.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:07 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Have you not learned the basics of investing? Buy low sell high.
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Bit what about the fishing?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:13 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Fishing is good any time, any where, where there are fishes to be caught.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:17 pm
@chai2,
That's brilliant, chai.

Living in North London, I don't bother with all the hassle of stocks, but over the past five years we've stuck it all into properties. Rent comes in each month, and the way the housing market is over here (in London, especially), the capital is going up and up. About 20% in the past twelve months.

Like stocks, we bought both of them at the bottom. It means that I spend a lot of time renovating, decorating and sorting out problems, but it's notching up a pretty good pension pot.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:30 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Good move and good show! Property ownership at the right locations have provided many with above average returns. I owned income property when I worked, but sold it when I retired, because I didn't want to manage anything in my retirement - I just wanted to be free of all 'responsibilities' to travel. Had to even forgo getting a dog. The rental property brought in three times what we paid for the property in rents, then I sold the property for twice what we paid for it.

However, my wife and I socked away 15 to 20% of our income when we worked into retirement investments, and that has also provided us with good income, and it allows me to continue my avocation of travel around the world.

BTW, I know Lindsay Hamilton, the professional singer who lives just outside of London. Met her on one of my cruises, and we've kept in touch ever since. Great singing voice whose done plays in London. You may have seen her.
http://ghostlight.us/lindsay-hamilton/
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 06:36 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

That's brilliant, chai.

Living in North London, I don't bother with all the hassle of stocks, but over the past five years we've stuck it all into properties. Rent comes in each month, and the way the housing market is over here (in London, especially), the capital is going up and up. About 20% in the past twelve months.

Like stocks, we bought both of them at the bottom. It means that I spend a lot of time renovating, decorating and sorting out problems, but it's notching up a pretty good pension pot.

I've noticed in a lot of your posts lately you're doing renovations.

Is that on your home, or your properties?

I thought about buying a property to rent out, but now I'm glad I didn't. I'm enjoying my free time too much.

How fast are homes selling over there?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Feb, 2015 07:42 am
@chai2,
Our investments have done very well compared to the stock market indices, and her is our result for the past week.
Portfolio's Performance ยป See More Portfolio Analytics
1 week 1 month 3 month 1 year YTD
You -1.3% -0.9% -2.1% 9.8% -0.9%
DJIA -2.9% -3.7% -1.3% 9.3% -3.7%
S&P 500 -2.8% -3.1% -1.1% 11.9% -3.1%
0 Replies