Who Are You, Really?

JimmyK

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 06:34 pm
Re: Who Are You, Really?
alikimr wrote:
Who you really are,(i.e.,what your defining personality is), is who all relevant persons in your life perceive you to be, ....not who you believe yourself to be. Do you agree with this thesis?

So you are saying I am an a $$ hole right?

http://www.americanbikerevents.com/forum/html/emoticons/rofl1.gif
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:10 pm
JLNobody wrote:
...full of half-truths and outside flatulence. Right.

Hey, I believe you just misquoted me. :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:12 pm
Incidentally, I was agreeing with your thought that the true self is truly an 'unknowable.'
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:13 pm
They think I am nuts, I think I am not, and the general public does not care.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:49 pm
And it doesn't really matter. That's the best part of it. Smile
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:31 pm
Nope JLN because I paint and have fun with my friends. It could be that I am different than they want me to be or it could be that I am not like them.

One benefitinf life I have always enjoyed is that you can pick your friends. Family, co-workers, neighbors well they are there but you do not have much choice.

What other people think about me relevant people or not has never been a priority. All of us are just the way we are. What other people see and think is beyond our control I think.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:44 pm
I agree, of course. Way beyond our control. There's no way of knowing how people respond to you--until they tell you.
Who am I? Bond, Herbie Bond.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 04:17 am
And they do not know what you are thinking until you tell them. Often people, including me, tend to judge without knowledge. I hate it when I do that but it seems impossible not to on occasion.
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:31 am
JimmyK .........you are wrong!

JoanneDoral &JLNobody..........You are what you do, don,t you think? After all, if you are what you think, you would have to be the centre of all existence, and obviously so, since your thoughts emenate from the centre of reality , which is your reality....the only reality.
What you do is perceived by your
significant others, always.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 12:41 pm
alikimr wrote:
JimmyK .........you are wrong!

JoanneDoral &JLNobody..........You are what you do, don,t you think? After all, if you are what you think, you would have to be the centre of all existence, and obviously so, since your thoughts emenate from the centre of reality , which is your reality....the only reality.
What you do is perceived by your
significant others, always.

Whether or not that 'defines' you is open for debate, alikimr.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 03:33 pm
The question "Who are you really?" brings to mind the Hindu dictum "Tat tvam asi"--Thou art that. This means, of course, a denial of the subject-object split. You do not HAVE experiences; you ARE your experiences. As such, every object of experience IS YOU. The zen buddhist have the saying "All things enlighten me." This means that all things (all content of experience) show me my true self.
There's a humorous account by Meister Eckhard, I believe (the Christian mystic).
The Seeker approaches God's door:
Knock, knock.
God: "who's there".
The Seeker: "Me"
God: "Go away."
Years later, after considerable study and mediation, the Seeker returns to God's door.
Knock, knock.
God: "Who's there?
Seeker: "You."
God: "Come in."

Who are YOU?
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:41 pm
Way cool JLN the best knock, knock joke I have ever heard.
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:48 pm
JLNobody :
I enjoyed your references. However I
do question your interpretation of "All things enlighten me" . Increasing your understanding of
life around you by soaking up the full content of your experiences indeed changes ,and mostly enhances your being......and inevitably is expressed to others by your actions
I do not understand your reference to
"my true self". I cannot conceive an "untrue self".
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 10:15 pm
As I understand it, my "false self" is ego. As I understand the dictum, "All things enlightening me," it does mean that all things provide empirical evidence or data which can be interpreted as knowledge ABOUT the world. Since I AM my experience, not some ego to whom experience happens, each experience of color, smell, sound, etc. etc. reveals to me my true self. Tat tvam asi. Every experience IS me, as they come and go.
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 11:44 am
JLNobody:
"Ego" is derived from the Greek word 'ego' meaning 'myself', or 'the self'. Webster's
definition is " the consciousness of an individual's
distinction from other selves".
Every experience is indeed ME. as you say, and reveals your "true self" ......but your extension to a "false self", particularly when you call this your "ego" ,opens your proposition to serious question.
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 11:54 am
JLNobody:
I must say, I am enjoying this little debate very much, as I hope you are. I forgot to ask you if in your travels through the paradoxes of
Zen reality you actually came across the reference to a "false self"........I have not. Ego , ofcourse, is
in continual involvement.
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 01:29 pm
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 02:00 pm
All I know is that I just noticed that my loving dog is a work of art in fur and hair. He is mostly white, with large brown splocthes, and long brown ears that are technically hair, not fur. The texture is completely different from the fur that covers the rest of him in waves and contrasting colours, especialy when the wind is blowing. Who he is could never truly be captured in a photograph or a painting. There are too many variables, that no still form of art could capture. It rests in the eye of the observer, and therein lies life to me.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 05:20 pm
Tywvel, I knew you'd come when needed. Your knack for explaining this very subtle point amazes me. Very Happy
Alikimir, it will require effort, of course, but you should, as I have, benefit from this insight.
0 Replies

alikimr

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:36 pm
Twyvel : You say "consciousness..........cannot observe itself". I say that thought cannot observe itself and you cannot observe thought. Same thing.
I see some clever semantic ambiguities but no insight into the question of "false self", or the validity of "ego". Ego is not a" pseudo 'object or subject. It is the conscious ego that distinguishes
"being" from "nothingness"and it very self-evident that consciousness of itself is the emminent characteristic of consciousness.
0 Replies