WalMart and Co-ed Dressing Rooms??

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:09 pm
I got this one from my cousin. Just try to hang with it!

Our local Wal-Mart at Main & Alma School, has combined the Men and Women's dressing rooms! I went shopping there with my daughters Monday night (5/10/04), my oldest needed some under clothing. When she went to try someon, she informed me that they put the mens dressing rooms in the same place as the women's. I went to inspect, and sure enough, there was a man in his 40's standing in the middle of the dressing area. I was horrified.

They had taken out the mens dressing rooms and put hand-made 'MENS" labels on two rooms the enclosed area where the women's dressing rooms are. I gave the girls my purchases and told them I was going to the courtesy desk to complain. This is the response I got from the manager:

I told Sue: "I realize this is the 21st century, but since when is it all
right to combine the men and women's dressing rooms? I have a real issue with this. I have a teenage daughter back there that needs to try on a bra - and there is a man in his 40's standing in the middle of the dressing area. That is ridiculous!!"

She tried telling me stuff like - well, we haven't had any other complaints. Then she explained that the Men's dressing
rooms were always locked and people couldn't try on clothes - I told her
that sounded more like a customer service issue or lack of employees. Then she tried telling me that other stores were starting to combine dressing rooms. I asked her to name one around here - she couldn't name a single one. Then backtracking, she told me that all those "major" decisions came from corporate. She gave me an 800 number to call. I asked for the store #, address and zip code. This is absurd!

Whoever is responsible for making the critical error of judgement, should b reprimanded or replaced. The privacy and the safety of EVERYONE, and
particularly our children are at stake here! What are these people thinking? I will NOT purchase clothes there any more! or other items if I
can help it!

Ok, I made it shorter. If anyone has any complaints about this, she suggest calling Wal-Mart corporate headquarters at 1-800-WALMART.

What I am wondering is if anyone else has the objection that my cousin does about co-ed dressing rooms. Personally, it's a closed door and I don't feel threatened at all. I can see how a teen would flip on this idea.

What do you think about co-ed dressing rooms?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,331 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:14 pm
hmmmm, i think i'd be ok with it. i survived the surprise of the open co-ed shower when i was in my late teens and visiting the university of michigan in ann arbor. being behind a closed door seems kind of tame to me. i've seen people try clothes on behind racks in stores.

co-ed washrooms are the norm in clubs here. i just need to remember so i don't gasp.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:15 am
Are there doors on the dressing rooms? If there are and nobody can see into them, then I see no issue. Many places are set up like this - Old Navy, the Gap to name a couple. If you feel any reservations why not go in there with her? You could stand outside the door and not go in, if she prefers privacy.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:25 am
using the terms Wallmart, and Co-ed, in the same sentence is what got my attention.
the thought that one might 'learn' something in a Wallmart! Shocked

as for the washrooms, i would suggest that there are very few differences between men and women, none of which justify in my mind separate locations for the already private stalls in which they try on clothing.
0 Replies

d bri

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 10:44 am
Okay I've been living in a wal-mart family all my life, and I see nothing wrong with the whole co-ed thing. Not because I'm defending Wally World but because being in collge and everything else I've seen a whole heck of a lot more than I would at a wal-mart dressing room waiting for some guy to get done changing clothes behind a door.

There are just some thing people need to get over. Your daughter isn't seeing much of anything except some fully clothed men waiting to enter a room to try on a pair of pants.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:47 pm
You can often see through the doors. Just as a matter of fact. Just like stalls in bathrooms, there are cracks were you can see through. I'm not arguing anything, just clarifying.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:52 pm
Ehbeth, I am curious about co-ed showers. Doesn't that attract a record number of perverts, to just kind of hang out?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:03 pm
You couldn't really hang out in the shower, scoates. You got in, showered, and left. No perverts that I ever heard of, in the about 5 years that I knew the people that lived there.

And about the door cracks - if someone's going to be peeking through the cracks in washrooms or change rooms, someone is going to notice and report it. Most people don't have time to waste on peeking. They're too busy trying their own stuff on.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:13 pm
Oh, I know, on the second point. I just brought it up because someone said you CAN'T see through. Those cracks always bug me in restrooms, even though I know no one is looking.

I probably just don't understand the setup, but co-ed showers always confuse me. I don't see how it could work. I mean, I don't see how it DOES work.
0 Replies

Wildflower63

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:34 am
I don't feel uncomfortable with dressing rooms for men and women in the same location. I can't stand those slats either! I realize no one is peeking in or hope they don't!! Going to the bathroom does require a little more privacy than trying on a shirt, just for peace of mind only, in my opinion.

I can't say that I am crazy about co-ed bathrooms at all. For one, I think there is a hygene matter. At the very least, I would hope there is a urinal. I don't want to touch the toilet seat! I'm sure guys don't either. I can easily picture urine all over from men and women who miss over touching the toilet seat. I sure wouldn't want to be the employee that had to clean this up either. Yuck!!

Now, the Allie McBeil style restroom is completely out of the question. I would be very uncomfortable with that. Another thing that bothers me are pervs and hidden cameras. People actually do this stuff and it isn't difficult with equipment available today.

I'm ok with co-ed dressing rooms. I'm not ok with co-ed bathrooms in public places.
0 Replies