Ink quality

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 10:41 am
Is it true that buying off-brand printer inks will be likely to mess up your printer? Has anyone here had either a really good or a really bad experience with using inks not made by the manufacturer of your printer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 888 • Replies: 13
No top replies

eoe

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:45 pm
I use Epson printers and altho' off-brand inks never caused a problem, they also didn't last as long, not as much ink in the cartridge, and the print quality was iffy at times. I finally went back to the Epson brand ink.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:05 pm
ink quality
My printer is a Canon S600, and I've never tried anything but Canon inks. They seem to last pretty well, and the quality of the printing is fine. But brand name inks are so damn expensive!!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:32 pm
Howdy TomK:

I have two Epson printers (a 580 and a C60) that I screwed up royally using generic ink cartridges.. Plugged the heads so bad I can't even get them to run with genuine Epson cartridges now..

Murray
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 08:14 am
Ink quality
Gee, Murray, that 's really yucky!

I think from what you and eoe say, I'll stick to Canon inks, bank-breaking though they are. Maybe Canon printers don't react as badly as Epsons, but I guess I won't experiment.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 03:25 pm
Tom:

Not sure what the cartridge costs are for the Canon, but for my Epson's it was close to $100.00 Canadian.. You can buy new printers for that now.. Sad

I broke down and picked up an HP2500L color laser.. Won't go back to an inkjet if my life depended on it !!

Murray
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 05:27 pm
Ink quality
Murray - Isn't the color laser awfully big and awfully expensive? And I have the feeling that a laser printer would be rather tricky to deal with in case of a breakdown. Or am I behind the times?
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 05:28 pm
Ink quality
Also - my Canon is slow and clunky, but doesn't give much trouble; it's a simple-minded beast, thank goodness.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 05:41 pm
Tom:

It's a fair size bigger than an inkjet for sure and it cost about $1000.00 Canadian.. But, with over 5000 pages per black and color cartridge available, it is way more economical..
As for repairs, I have no idea there as it hasn't given me a lick of trouble since I've had it..

Murray
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 07:23 pm
A color laser printer is still on my wish list. But if we were paying 100.00 per cartridge, it certainly would make sense. Epson inks here are still less than 30.00 per. I picked up two today for 28.00 apiece.
0 Replies

MurrayS

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 10:07 pm
eoe:

The $100.00 I quoted was for the C60 and was for both color and black (two cartridges) .. Hope I didn't give the impression they were that much apiece (about 70.00 US)..

Murray
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:15 am
ink
It's on my wish list, too. But size is almost as serious a factor as price, given the long-term savings.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 07:41 am
I have a HP DeskJet printer and continuously refill the ink cartridges. The HP manufacture warns against using other ink products and also claims they will harm your printer. I have used "Universal Inkjet Refills" for the past three years and found that it has not caused any ill effects to my printer.
0 Replies

Nirvana

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:58 am
Quote:
I have a HP DeskJet printer and continuously refill the ink cartridges. The HP manufacture warns against using other ink products and also claims they will harm your printer. I have used "Universal Inkjet Refills" for the past three years and found that it has not caused any ill effects to my printer.

Me too! But always keep an almost empty pair of cartridges handy if the printer needs to be taken back when under warrenty as most companies will renegue on the warranty if you don't use the 'Kosher' cartridges. Just swap 'em back when you need to take the printer back and deny everything! Very Happy
0 Replies