Wierd thoughts

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:06 am
have you ever wondered about completely wierd/stupid things, and wonder if you are the first person who ever wondered it? I know, some people have too much time on their hands. Laughing Never know, some of them might actually have answers!! Here are a couple to start out with, I'm sure I'll remember a few more later on.

In a factory job, it is mandatorythat everyone wears earplugs to protect your hearing. But what if you are totally deaf? Would you still have to wear them? It would be kind of stupid, but if you didn't, would that be showing prejudiced against those that aren't deaf?

I wonder about the two words hemherroid and asteroid.
Hem is latin or something for like.. space (hemisphere etc..)
so if I hemherroid is in your as* why isn't that called an asteroid,
and wouldn't a hemhorroid be more appropriate in space?

(This one probably does have a real answer) When cars and fuel first came about... There weren't gas stations at ever corner like today... so I wonder how far people drove to get to the gas station when they first popped up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,498 • Replies: 85
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:38 pm
in response to your third query, did the availability of gas have anything to do with peoples decision to buy cars in the first place

i know that in some rural areas people would have had their own gas tanks, the farmer near my house had two 500 gallon tanks behind one barn, one for diesel and one for regular gas, he used them both until the mid seventies, and the diesel one until about the late eighties

love your signature
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:51 pm
What would people have had gas for before autos? Weren't people using wood and coal for heating and cooking? Was gas used yet for those purposes?

Soso, I wonder strange things, too. Can't think of any off the top of my head, though.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:20 pm
I've often wondered about the words 'gas' and 'emmisions', and thought, why is it not appropriate at the dinner table, but nobody says a word if it comes from a car?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:40 pm
Ok. Here's the type of thing I think about. I'll be eating cereal, looking at the box, imagining the process of putting the package togther. The factory assembly line. What order do they do things (print the image on the flat box, fold up the box, glue it, squish fiborous plant matter into a paste, squeeze it out of a nose-piece and onto a baking sheet - or do they just dehydrate it?, a chute where the cereal goes into the bag - is the bag already in the box, or do they put it in the box after it's filled?, etc etc
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 11:01 pm
well if there was an even color distribution of M&M's
in a bag or how many people can really lick a tootsie roll pop without biting.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 11:08 pm
husker wrote:
well if there was an even color distribution of M&M's
in a bag or how many people can really lick a tootsie roll pop without biting.

This got me to thinking weird thoughts....just who is 'M', and who is the other 'M'? Also, don't the original tootsie rolls look a bit like a turd? The thought of licking or biting one kinda freaks me out.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 12:32 am
Apparently....

http://www.tourisminternet.com.au/Chmus25.JPG
Before 1910 petrol was sold in 2 gallon tins packed in wooden boxes.
A little gadget was used to pierce the tin, creating a hole into which could be pushed a simple tube or pouring pipe.

http://www.tourisminternet.com.au/Chmus14.JPG
A company by the name of Bowser manufactured the first petrol pumps around 1910. The pumps were sold in such quantities that the expression for a petrol pump, or the nick name, became known as a Bowser, and it is still so today.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 12:39 am
Etymology of Hemoroid:

Quote:
From Middle English emoroides, hemorrhoids, from Old French emoroides, from Latin haemorrhoidae, from Greek haimorrhoïdes, pl. of haimorrhoïs, from haimorrhoos, flowing with blood : haimo-, hemo- + rhein, to flow

Asteroid:
Quote:
From Greek asteroeids, starlike : astr, star; see ster-3 in Appendix I + -oeids, -oid.

Not really the same......

PS Hemi is another Greek work meaning 'half'.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 12:51 am
I'd suspect that people with deafness may NOT be employed in occupations such as working with heavy machinery or equipment. Warnings are frequently done by sirens, there would be a real occ health issue there. As for protecting the deaf with hearing protection, not so silly - people will have hearing loss from a number of reasons, some are congenital (your'e born with it), some may be from damage or accidents. If the machinary of the ear is still working and the nerve that transmits signals to the brain works, then you would want to avoid any further damage.

I have tinnitus, a constant buzzing in one ear, caused by a diving accident. If I was hearing-impaired AND then additional damage caused me to ALSO have tinnitus, I'd probably crack.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:06 am
As to your first question. No, they do not have to wear anything. Actually at Boeing there are large groups of deaf people who work in a certain area of the plant. Particularly because they are deaf, they are ideal people to hire working in the noisy area.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:21 am
Speaking of Boeing, why are their planes so plain, and why isn't archery offered in first class?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:33 am
That I can't answer cav.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:36 am
No problem Linkat, my weird thoughts tend to lead to multiple puns which often don't deserve a response. Smile
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:38 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Etymology of Hemoroid:

Quote:
From Middle English emoroides, hemorrhoids, from Old French emoroides, from Latin haemorrhoidae, from Greek haimorrhoïdes, pl. of haimorrhoïs, from haimorrhoos, flowing with blood : haimo-, hemo- + rhein, to flow

Asteroid:
Quote:
From Greek asteroeids, starlike : astr, star; see ster-3 in Appendix I + -oeids, -oid.

*sighs heavily*

Do you have any idea what you've done? I've pondered this question since I was about 13... and you RUINED it.

:wink:
0 Replies

soserene

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:39 am
Littlek- that is a GREAT ONE...
That might tide me over for the next few years...
Unless Stillwater's researching it already :wink:
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:39 am
"weird thoughts"!
i wouldn't know where to begin. Shocked

[well i guess i could just say anything that comes into my head]
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:41 am
soserene wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Etymology of Hemoroid:

Quote:

Asteroid:
Quote:

*sighs heavily*

Do you have any idea what you've done? I've pondered this question since I was about 13... and you RUINED it.

:wink:

All you need to do is change the spelling to 'assteroid'. The English language is a free for all now anyway, especially since the internet became popular.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 09:09 am
cavfancier wrote:
Also, don't the original tootsie rolls look a bit like a turd? The thought of licking or biting one kinda freaks me out.

Have you never seen a kitty litter cake, cav?
They tell me it's delicious. I can't make myself try it.

http://bertc.com/kitty.htm
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 09:26 am
Here in Canada it's called "Almond Rocca"!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Wierd thoughts
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:12:43