Non-duality ~ ~ "I AM THAT"

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 10:03 pm
I am thinking of reading the book "I am that", by Nisargadatta Maharaj. Does anyone know about this book, or about non-duality in general?

From what I understand, in my limited knowledge of the subject, our individual consciousness is only a small part of a bigger consciousness, like a cell is a part of a larger body, and that in death we sort of become fully aware of our overall consciousness, which encompasses the totality of everything in the universe. And through enlightenment we can experience that totality in our current physical manifestation.

Something like that, right?

JLNobody

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 11:29 pm
There has already been a lot of discussion of non-dualism on other threads in this forum. I'm sure someone will remind you of whicn ones they are. I've forgotten.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:05 am
Oh Jesus.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:15 am
Re: Non-duality ~ ~ "I AM THAT"
kickycan wrote:
Does anyone know about this book, or about non-duality in general?

Obviously, kickycan hasn't been spending a lot of time on the Philosophy forum.

A search for the term "nondualism" came up with 254 hits. Frankly, I'm somewhat surprised that it has been so few, but there is certainly enough information out there that can satisfy all but the most voracious curiosity.
0 Replies

David Henry

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 02:28 am
Re: Non-duality ~ ~ "I AM THAT"
kickycan wrote:
I am thinking of reading the book "I am that", by Nisargadatta Maharaj. Does anyone know about this book, or about non-duality in general?

From what I understand, in my limited knowledge of the subject, our individual consciousness is only a small part of a bigger consciousness, like a cell is a part of a larger body, and that in death we sort of become fully aware of our overall consciousness, which encompasses the totality of everything in the universe. And through enlightenment we can experience that totality in our current physical manifestation.

Something like that, right?

I would say that's nonsense and merely one eschatological view, however, there's nothing wrong with smartening up whilst alive.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 11:45 am
Kickycan, don't be dissuaded by our Western chauvinists. Non-dualism has an ancient and profoundly important role in Eastern thought (e.g., where the dualisms that dividie man and nature, value and fact, mind and the world, means and ends, and subject and object have not taken root). While it is ancient, it is for some people a radically new and either a very confusing and threatening or liberating perspective. Don't be discouraged from at least looking into it. "I am that" Tat tvam asi, That art thou--dissolving the distance between subject and object, you and the world- is a famous dictum of the Hindu later Upanishads (the Advaita Vedanta).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:03 pm
And yet, JL doesn't appreciate my poopie analyses regarding philosophy. One can look to a Jungian or Hindu, or Taoist, or Buudhist model of a 'collective consciousness' to explain our similarities as human beings, but let's face it, what we all share are the base day to day activities of living, including going to the bathroom. Ergo, in our hearts, we are non-dualistic, as we have the same needs once we get beyond our own pretensions.

Americans and Islamics are not getting along these days, if you didn't notice. Laughing However, consider this: Americans love 'South Park' and 'Jackass'. There is an old Iranian curse that translates as "May a thousand camels fart on your beard." Look, it may sound silly, but it's on topic. We ALL share these things. Toilet humour may yet prove to be the one strategy that makes us recognize that we are all the same. Take it as a joke if you want, but that Iranian curse is absolutely true.

I suppose that makes me a non-dualist, and perhaps a Taoist as well. I don't feel a need to shy away from reality.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:50 pm
Is this related to the "I am that I am. Tell them I Am sent you?" quote from god speaking to Moses? Just curious, Kicky.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 12:56 pm
I think it's closer to "I am I said" by Neil Diamond.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:00 pm
Kicky, there is a thread that went on forever and ever and ever in the Philosophy section that covered this subject wall to wall, as it were. Like JLNobody, I forget the title. I learned a lot from it, but not enough to, you know, 'splain things.

Maybe I'll go try to find it. The thread has everything, drama, recitative, recapitulation, snowball flinging, everything.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:01 pm
Mmm, snowball fights!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:16 pm
The Philosophy of Self

Tickets, get your tickets now!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 01:27 pm
Allright, now we're talking. Thanks Ossobuco. I will check that out.

My original post was about a certain book, because I wanted to find a place to read and learn about this outside the forum, so that I might be able to understand a little bit more before I jump into this seemingly almost incomprehensible subject.

Also, I just wondered if my original summary of the non-dualist theory was on target or not.

Thanks for all your help.

edit: Fixed spelling of Ossobuco. Embarrassed
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:53 pm
Yes, I think you've got the gist of it kickycanThe Spectrum of Consciousness and the Atman Project.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:03 pm
Kicky might also enjoy the works of Alan Watts, if he hasn't read them already. I highly suggest checking out the lectures posted here as a primer:

http://deoxy.org/watts.htm
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 09:30 am
@kickycan,
A good tip if you really want to explore the concept of non-dualism is to be aware of your thoughts. Don't try to articulate them. Just try to hold on to them as complete as they come.

Also, if you have ever performed an action with perfect concentration, try to reflect on that. You see, in that moment when you performed with perfect concentration there were no boundaries between you and you act, you existed in a non dualistic presence.

Whatever you do, do not try to bring the spoken or written language with you into this exploration. It is founded in dualism and becomes meaninless without it.
Understanding the world in a non dualistic way is perhaps the simplest thing one can do. But to learn it is perhaps the hardest thing I've ever done, since it is pretty much backwards from everything else I've set out to learn.
JLNobody

Reply Wed 30 Sep, 2009 01:54 pm
@Cyracuz,
Cryacuz, thanks again. You are a person of considerable insight.
Cyracuz

Reply Sun 11 Oct, 2009 03:41 pm
@JLNobody,
Thanks JL.
And as they say... Takes one to know one Wink
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:20 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
A good tip if you really want to explore the concept of non-dualism is to be aware of your thoughts. Don't try to articulate them. Just try to hold on to them as complete as they come.

Can you explain how one would do that Cyracuz, please?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2009 02:22 pm
@Cyracuz,
Quote:
Understanding the world in a non dualistic way is perhaps the simplest thing one can do. But to learn it is perhaps the hardest thing I've ever done, since it is pretty much backwards from everything else I've set out to learn.

How did you 'learn' it?