Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 03:54 am
@Walter Hinteler,

British Report
Quote:
Admiralty, 17th December, 1914
ON 21st November, 1914, Squadron Commander EF Briggs, Flight commander JT Babington, and Flight Lieutenant SV Sippe, royal Navy, carried out an aerial attack on the Zeppelin airship sheds and factory at Friedrickshafen on Lake Constance.

Leaving French territory shortly after 10 am, they arrived over their objective at about noon, and, although under a very heavy rifle, machine-gun and shrapnel fire from the moment they were sighted, they all three dived steeply to within a few hundred yards of the sheds, when they released their bombs – in all eleven.

Squadron Commander Briggs was wounded, brought down, and made a prisoner, but the other two officers regained their starting point after a flight of more than four hours across hostile country under very bad weather conditions.

It is believed that the damage caused by this attack includes the destruction of one airship and serious damage to the larger shed, and also demolition of the hydrogen-producing plant, which had only lately been completed. Later reports stated that flames of considerable magnitude were seen issuing from the factory immediately after the raid.

German Report
Quote:
22 November 1914
From : Oberleutnant-zur-See Werner Peterson (commander designate Zeppelin L7)
To : Konteradmiral Phillip (Wilhelmshafen)
SECRET
Report concerning the English air attack on the Zeppelin works on November 21, 1914, at noon:

The attack was carried out on the 21st undoubtedly due to information from spies or agents that the ship had completed inflation on the 20th.

Towards noon telephone information was received here from Lorrach-Oberheim (Baden) that three enemy aircraft had been sighted, flying in the direction of Konstanz. The same information was received from Konstanz at 12:15 pm. The troops and guns were therefore altered. I received the report by telephone in the Kurgarten Hotel and immediately went to the Zeppelin works. The weather was clear, sunny, wind north-east, moderate to strong.

I found myself close by the gatehouse of the works as the guns and machine guns opened fire. At the same time I observed the first aircraft (biplane) heading for the Zeppelin buildings from the lake at an altitude of several hundred metres. The shell-bursts from the anti-aircraft guns lay very close to him. Meanwhile the plane flew over me and dropped the first bomb, which was easily visible while falling. It hit a house and exploded (about 60 metres from me) and partly destroyed the upper storey (1 dead, 2 injured). Then it flew over the sheds and, descending to 150 metres, very skilfully dropped a bomb which, however, merely landed on the field, then another which was accurately aimed and hit between the two sheds (minor damage to the shed doors of the new hangar).

Meanwhile he had been hit by a shell splinter and the plane glided down in a turn, making an emergency landing in front of the sheds. The plane was almost undamaged. The pilot, an English naval officer, Lieutenant Brigg of the Royal Naval Flying Corps, in uniform with leather outer clothing, was pulled out of the plane by militia and our petty officers, after trying to fire a few shots from his pistol. He was rather severely wounded in the head, but not so that his life was endangered, and was taken to the hospital. His undamaged plane, a new, light "Avro" machine, had suffered a decisive hit by a shell splinter and had been hit by about 10 bullets (one of them in the fuel tank).

While this plane was descending, the second plane appeared at about 200 metres above the gas works, dived low in the heavy fire, and above the shot-down machine released 2 bombs which exploded in the field. Then he flew very fast above the sheds and dropped a bomb which hit the workshops and caused damage and which damaged a window of the shed in which "L.7" lay: 20 metres farther and the inflated ship would have been destroyed. Then he disappeared over the lake in the direction of Manzell, where he dropped a bomb close to the airplane hangar. Today he was reported from Konstanz as having come down. The third plane, which I did not see, turned back prematurely.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 04:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
After the raid, the Germans increased both security and anti-aircraft defences at Friedrichshafen. They were also concerned about the vulnerability of their airship production facilities, so built a second Zeppelin factory at Potsdam which was beyond the range of any enemy aircraft.

While this attack was played down in Germany (and even in Friedrichshafen, although two persons were injured and one died ... and a bomb missed by 30 m a Zeppelin shortly before start), it had been highly praised otherwise: the attack was launched from an airport with no runway, by aircraft which hadn’t flown before, piloted by some who had not flown this type before, navigating solo across unfamiliar country without maps, to drop bombs from untested bomb racks on a vaguely defined target by those who had never before dropped a bomb.

Awards
Quote:
Admiralty, 1st January 1915
The KING has been graciously pleased to give orders for the following appointments to the Distinguished Service Order in respect of the undermentioned Officers:-
To be Companions of the Distinguished Service Order.
Squadron Commander Edward Featherstone Briggs, Royal Naval Air Service.
Flight Commander John Tremayne Babington, Royal Naval Air Service.
Flight Lieutenant Sidney Vincent Sippe, Royal Naval Air Service.

Quote:
Whitehall, May 18 1916
The KING has been pleased to give and grant unto the undermentioned Officers His Majesty's Royal licence and authority to wear Decorations (as stated against their respective names), which have been conferred upon them by the President of the French Republic in recognition of valuable services rendered by them:-
Insignia of Chevalier of the Legion of Honour.
Engineer Lieutenant-Commander Edward Featherstone Briggs, D.S.O., R.N. (Squadron Commander, R.N.A.S.).

Lieutenant John Tremayne Babington, D.S.O., R.N. (Squadron Commander, R.N.A.S.).
Flight Commander Sidney Vincent Sippe, D.S.O., R.N.A.S.

Quote:
Air Ministry, 16th December 1919
His Majesty the KING has been pleased to approve of recognition being accorded, as indicated below, to Officers and other ranks of the Royal Air Force, for gallantry whilst Prisoners of War in escaping, or attempting to escape, from captivity, or for valuable services rendered in the Prison Camps of the Enemy:-
Awarded a Bar to the Distinguished Service Order.
Wing Commander Edward Featherstone Briggs, D.S.O., O.B.E.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 04:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, was Hitler able to speak English??????
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 04:46 am
@OmSigDAVID,
If he did, it was with a Scouse accent.
http://liverpool.fluxtime.com/images/hitlerpub.gif
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 05:18 am
@izzythepush,
His chosen style of addressing crowds
was screaming at them. I don t speak German,
but his voice sounded ruff to me. I mentioned that
to a German-born uncle of mine (who supported him in the 1930s and 1940s)
and he denied that Hitler had a ruff voice.

Walter: what do u think of the tonal quality of Hitler's voice ?

David
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 05:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
I don't know. (I know nothing the curriculum in Austrian schools today - and even less about how it was around 1900.)
Why do you ask, and how is this related to a thread about WWI and my post about the Friedrichshafen Raid?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 06:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:
I don't know. (I know nothing the curriculum in Austrian schools today - and even less about how it was around 1900.)
Why do you ask, and how is this related to a thread about WWI and my post about the Friedrichshafen Raid?
Well, he was in WWI and in WWII,
which arguably was the continuation of WWI.

General John Pershing predicted that if we did not finish it in 1918,
then we 'd have to come back and do it all over again,
because it woud be alleged that the Germen were not defeated in the field,
but rather were cheated of victory by domestic perfidy n disaffection.

What do u think of that ?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 06:31 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
If he did, it was with a Scouse accent.
http://liverpool.fluxtime.com/images/hitlerpub.gif
I 've heard that Hitler was ez to get along with b4 WWI. He was indigent.
He had good relations with Jews, who were kind to him. He was an ingrate.

Did Hitler go to England ?
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 06:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
There is some (inconclusive) evidence that he went to Liverpool.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 08:02 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
How many of the Allied Lance Corporal's could speak French, Dutch or German?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 08:13 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
There is some (inconclusive) evidence that he went to Liverpool.
A very brief vacation??
He was poverty-stricken at age 21 in 1910.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 08:16 am
@Walter Hinteler,

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
How many of the Allied Lance Corporal's could speak French, Dutch or German?
I dunno that.
I 've heard that many Europeans r polyglots.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 08:25 am

In the First World War, Hitler was a messenger,
in the rank of corporal. As such, he 'd possess a pistol,
not a shoulder-mounted weapon.

Does anyone know specifically what weapon he possessed??
Google has not been of much help.

My best hunch is a 9mm Luger P-'08,
but that 's only a guess.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 08:52 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I really would have liked to support Joe a bit on his thread.

But since it turns now in totally different direction, I'll stop it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 09:09 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Since that has been the only pistol used in the Royal Bavarian Army ("Pistole 08"), it's really a "good" guess.
panzade

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 09:43 am
Quote:
But since it turns now in totally different direction, I'll stop it.

Yes Walter. Don't know what the knucklehead is posting but from past experience it's a bunch of self-aggrandizing nonsense.
Oh well.
It was a great thread while it lasted.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 10:03 am
@Walter Hinteler,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Since that has been the only pistol used in the Royal Bavarian Army ("Pistole 08"), it's really a "good" guess.
Thank u. I will leave the thread. Good-bye.

David
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 10:38 am
@panzade,
Nothing exiting happenned on Sunday, November 21, 1914 on the Western Front (here copied&pasted from the Petit Parisien from the 22nd)

http://i62.tinypic.com/b7m4js.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/id7sz6.jpg

That gives me to opportunity to post something about the German Imperial Army - and that's even unknown to many Germans: there were actually kind of two German military forces during the time of the German Empire: the Imperial German Army and the Royal Bavarian Army.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 10:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Under the Imperial Constitution, Bavaria was able to secure for itself extensive rights, in particular regarding military sovereignty. Not only did the army retain, like the kingdoms of Saxony and Württemberg, its own troops, War Ministry and military justice system, but it was also excluded from the Empire-wide regimental re-numbering of the army regiments and would only come under Imperial control in times of war.
But even then: the officers and men of the Bavarian Army continued to swear their oaths to the King of Bavaria and not the German Emperor.

http://i62.tinypic.com/11mevy0.jpg
Pickelhaube of a soldier of K.B.IR 16. The owner was wounded in 1914. A piece of shrapnel pierced Pickelhaube and skull and brain before exiting on the other side. The owner survived the terrible wound and died in 1977. (Exhibit in ” Haus der Bayerischen Geschichte” – Regensburg)

In the Royal Bavarian Army, from about 1890 onwards, the uniform cut, equipment and training was standardised nearly to the Prussian model. When field-grey uniforms were introduced, only the cockade and a blue-and-white lozenge edging to the collar distinguished Bavarian units.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2014 10:40 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Thank u. I will leave the thread. Good-bye.
Thanks!
0 Replies