Questioning everything. Confused and lost.

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 07:14 am
I have been questioning everything and lost. I wake up everyday wondering if what I am doing is right. Depression, anxiety then hits. Im going to work, exercising, hanging out with my friends , why? I question when Im doing anything.. Is this the right thing to be doing? Should I be outside having all this fun with my friends or should I be under a tree meditating in some far distant place? I need a book to read or something. IS there such thing as a right and wrong way to live your life? I want to travel the world and explore new things but i always wonder if its good for the environment or if its the "right thing to do"..... Should I be content? HELP

~lostandafraid
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,551 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 07:39 am
No one can tell you whether or not you should be content. You have to live your life, not some joker who sets up to be your guru. I would say that a life in which you harm no one intentionally, and in which you help others when you can, if you can, is one which you could endure or even be proud of--right or wrong are subjective claims, and have nothing to do with the value of your life.

Travelling the world would be a wonderful thing to do. If you're worried about the environmental impact of air travel, you can still do much and see much without going anywhere in a passenger airliner. You can walk, ride a bicycle, take a train, drive an energy responsible car. It may be that you're just in a rut right now, and a change could do wonders for you. If you travel, as you travel, think about what you really would like to do with your life. Especially in situations in which you are walking or riding a bicycle, you will have lots of time to think, and the kind of thinking you do while you're getting good exercise is more likely to be positive.

Try getting away, try a walking tour, or a biking tour. See how it works out.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 09:35 am
@LifeQuestioner,
You appear to be looking for structure in the face of your recognition of a dis-unified self. One such structure I have experienced is offered by "The School of Practical Philosophy" which is a world wide organization holding evening classes in towns and cities. Many claimed to have gained something from the first couple of levels. Beyond that I would treat the organization with caution because there have been mild accusations of "cultism".
NB. Though they may deny it, the School of Practical Philosophy (aka School of Economic Science) is an offshoot of the philosophy of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky (whose central tenet is "the dis-unified self"), with some elements of Eastern esotericism added. You can get some of the basics by reading Ouspensky's "In Search of the Miraculous". There are also thriving Gurdjieff Study groups around, but these are less numerous. (Gurdjieff attracted many 20th century intellectuals to his door including Katherine Mansfield, and Frank Lloyd Wright).

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2014 12:29 pm
@LifeQuestioner,
Life I often wonder how many of us pay the psych $100 an hour three days a week when the basic problem is one of a trace element in the bloodstream, circulating thru the brain

…so try a few OC compounds and if you can't find one that works, resort to PM. Google "mood meds" etc

Lack of exercise has also been blamed
0 Replies

Ding an Sich

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2014 05:20 pm
@LifeQuestioner,
LifeQuestioner wrote:

I have been questioning everything and lost. I wake up everyday wondering if what I am doing is right. Depression, anxiety then hits. Im going to work, exercising, hanging out with my friends , why? I question when Im doing anything.. Is this the right thing to be doing? Should I be outside having all this fun with my friends or should I be under a tree meditating in some far distant place? I need a book to read or something. IS there such thing as a right and wrong way to live your life? I want to travel the world and explore new things but i always wonder if its good for the environment or if its the "right thing to do"..... Should I be content? HELP

~lostandafraid

Pursue whatever you value. To echo Set's post, so long as you don't harm or impede others and help when you can (preferably, people you value), then I think you'll be on the right track.

As for worrying about the environment, I encourage you to read up on permaculture, or other alternatives to energy consumption, agriculture, economics, architecture, etc. Here's the wiki page for permaculture if you're interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture

Don't fret, and don't question everything. There's no point in doing that. Pursue what you value, and you'll be fine. Smile

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2014 05:35 pm
Quote:
LifeQuestioner said: I wake up everyday wondering if what I am doing is right. Depression, anxiety then hits. Im going to work, exercising, hanging out with my friends , why? I question when Im doing anything..

Questioning life is good, but don't overdo it.
Bear Grylls had the right attitude when he was doing hard SAS and Foreign Legion training, he encouraged his mates by saying- "Don't think, just DO it!"
Even Jesus said- "Look at the birds flitting around living their lives without a worry in the world, so just be like them"
In other words, put our brains into neutral gear and just go along for the ride on life's train..Smile

Grylls in his SAS days-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/grylls-sas.jpg~original
0 Replies