I'm going be skipping 'Troy'....

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 11:58 am
The animation I've seen of the armies running toward Troy seems too videogame.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 12:04 pm
"Joey, you like movies about gladiators?"
"Joey, have you ever been in a, in a Turkish prison?"

(From the movie "Airplane". Wink )
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 12:07 pm
Laughing

These days, it would appear that if Achilles and Hector had pre-battle sex the film would do huge box office.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 02:11 pm
If, if, if. grrrrrrrrrrrr

I need someone like mac11 to go see this and report back.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 03:10 pm
fishin' wrote:
"Joey, you like movies about gladiators?"
"Joey, have you ever been in a, in a Turkish prison?"

http://students.washington.edu/mherzog/airplane!1.jpg
Captain Oveur: You ever been in a cockpit before?
Joey: No sir, I've never been up in a plane before.
Captain Oveur: You ever seen a grown man naked?
0 Replies

Tobruk

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 04:39 pm
The film was good. I liked it.

Didn't follow the legend exactly but then why should it, it's only a legend not historical fact.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 05:24 pm
The Boston Phoenix weighed in with this:

" . . . may evoke more Troy Donohue and the golden era of Hollywood than the domed city . . . replaces the gods (not a bad idea, given 1983's camp classic Clash of the Titans) with 21st century's new deities of computer-generated special effects and celebrity icons. As a Cliff Notes verion . . . this gets to the media of the res. . .
The CGI-edthousand ships en route to Ilium evoke a thrill but for my money . . . I'll take the Allied armada in The Longest Day . . . But the Achilles' heel of such epic making is that Hollywood no longer has the talent or the innocence to pull it off." -- Peter Keogh

I don't think Hollywood movies on the whole were ever all that good. I tend to be a small film fan myself so there is a bias here.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 08:15 am
Golly, plainoldme, how small are you?

It's getting 58% favorable ratings at rottentomatoes.com:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Troy-1132530/
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 08:17 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
This is at Troy. That's my brother and sister-in-law.

http://img32.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/troy_500.jpg

c.i., your brother is so tall, and wood-like. Who are the other people again?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:35 am
The "Troy" premiere at Cannes Film Festival:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-05-13-troy-premiere-cannes_x.htm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:40 am
cav, He's a republican (he's a state legislator in California) and a christian. What more can I say? Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 10:48 am
Awfully young to be a Republican. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 11:20 am
The "Quick Hit" review in the OC Register:

Vanity, courage, cowardice, passion -- director Wolfgang Peterson conjures an extraordinary palate of emotions. In this racy, ripping account of literature's most notirious romantic hijacking, Brad Pitt fronts a strong cast as Achilles, the bronze Greek superwarrior of legend whose awesome battefield aptitute punctuates Peterson's heart-pounding war scenes. A-.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 11:21 am
Wolfgan Peterson is most noted for the two previous films "Das Boot" and "In the Line of Fire:"

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000583/
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 12:26 pm
Golly, plainoldme, how small are you?

What is that supposed to mean? I posted a review from the Phoenix, whose reviews I generally rely on. Because 58% of the reviews can be cast as favorable does not mean a movie is good . . . or that I would like it.

I was pretty bored with Master and Commander but I loved Jim Sheridan's In America.

I'm not a mass culture type. Although my kids sort of grew up on Clash of the Titans which has a solidly redeeming scene: after Harry Hamlin kills Medusa, he almost collapses. That's what would have happened. Saves the movie.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 02:13 pm
It was a joke -- reread your sentence.

I have bought both "Master and Commander" and "In America" on DVD. I'm not biased either way. Many small films are utter bores.

I will try three critics I usually agree with on a film before plunking down my cash to see a film and I would believe this particular one is essential to see on the big screen (I'd be headed towards the THX certified screens near Disneyland).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 02:33 pm
I wonder if a toga and a short sword would have prolonged Harry Hamlin's career on L.A. Law? He would have been quite the defender...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 14 May, 2004 02:57 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 10:14 am
Sorry, light, guess my sense of humor took a walk. Harry Hamlin was very dishy when starting out. His looks faded a bit but aren't we all a little worn?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 11:38 am
I just assumed that your were saying you were short and it went over your head.

Actually Hamlin's best acting was in "LA Law" -- he was daring in taking the part in "Making Love" and at the time may have hurt his career. It certainly torpedoed Michael Onkean's.
0 Replies