"An Eye For An Eye Makes The Whole World Blind" Gandhi

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:03 pm
Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,667 • Replies: 18
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:09 pm
Good question....it still sadly comes down to 'why'?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:20 pm
Two reasons:

1. Violence is the only language the terrorists understand.
2. Violence is the only language the Western imperialists understand.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:32 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
Two reasons:

1. Violence is the only language the terrorists understand.
2. Violence is the only language the Western imperialists understand.

While impeccably logical, the question still remains...why?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:33 pm
Why do we brutalize prisoners to make sure brutes can't defeat our army?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:33 pm
sheet for brains
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:21 pm
I am the masculine American man
I kill therefore I am - Phil Ochs
0 Replies

Peter S

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 12:17 am
It is definitely wrong to kill people, but on the other hand what would be your first thought if your family was killed? Therefore I think to satisfy one's desire for revenge is the reason for killing people who killed people.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 03:23 am
But can revenge relieve grief and the aloneness' of losing a loved one. I think not - it is my belief that only forgiveness can relieve the pain of the death of a family member.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 03:52 am
I think Joanne is right on this issue. Revenge doesn't allow for true closure, or letting go. Also, I don't see revenge playing a part in the attitudes of those who kill professionally, either for the army or the mob.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 06:07 am
Killing does not bring closure. The man who murdered my brother is now dead. Do you think I ought to feel better now? It don't work like that. The death penalty is not just wrong; it is totally unnecessary. What is necessary is a just prison system and just courts.
0 Replies

Peter S

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 10:10 pm
The question was: Why do we kill people? I also think that it is wrong to be vengeful, but I had said why people do kill people. I come from a country where is not death penalty and I think that is all right. I would never have death penalty back, it was so cruel and horrible in our history.
0 Replies

David Henry

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 02:44 am
Re: "An Eye For An Eye Make The Whole World Blind"
JoanneDorel wrote:
Why do we kill people who kill people to show that killing people is wrong?

Because this paradigm is in destructive mode and the outcomes will reflect that.
Wisdom is rejected as a waste of time or unobtainable.
The problem with killing someone for killing another is that societies structures create killers by virtue of allowing "some" to endure horrific childhoods, enraging them, often denying them typical educational standards and then wondering why they get upset as adults.

Society seems fairly happy developing 4-5% of its populace into sociopaths.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:10 am
David
The governments, state and local in the USA, will not spend money on these problems. They dump the insane, retarded and ill on relatives and on the streets. They do not intervene in far too many cases of parental or other adult abuse of kids, until "something happens." By then it is generally too late.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:36 am
Good question. I think it's because we don't know better.

The Mafia is generally known to be Catholics, our President and Attorney General claim to be Christians, Muslims claim to answer to Allah, etc. While religions around the world decry murder, and therefore we SHOULD know better, we do not.

We (collective human "we") have not evolved to the full understanding of the consequences. We CLAIM to understand the concept of karma, do unto others, let go and let God, and all of that, but when it comes to revenge we choose to go with the older concept of an eye for an eye.

Why? We have no patience, no will power, no faith and no real understanding of the universe and its natural consequences from our own behavior.

Just my 2 cents.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 11:46 am
That was a great 2 cents squinney.
0 Replies

David Henry

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 08:51 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
David
The governments, state and local in the USA, will not spend money on these problems.

Ed.

It seems to me that the cause of sociopathy is the parents, therefore only people deemed as sane and functional should be allowed to have/raise children.
0 Replies

sweetresilience

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 05:12 pm
People kill people when killing is wrong because its human nature... they want revenge thinking it will heal their pain but it simply makes the world worse and hurts more people.
0 Replies

Peter S

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 11:47 pm
I agree with you sweetresilience welcome to A2K. :wink:
0 Replies