1) The Breeders. 2013

Honorable mention:

Pegboy/Hammerhead. 1994

Built To Spill. 2012

Bruce Springsteen 2012

Fishbone. 1997

Fitz Of Depression. 1995

The Rolling Stones. 1999

I've been to a LOT more concerts than these, but these were the best ones... so far!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 16 • Views: 9,912 • Replies: 91
Topic Closed

tsarstepan

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 09:46 pm
@nononono,
Off the top of my head and not including the Carnegie Hall concerts because that would be a tad difficult to remember or look up right now.

Steven Miller, Xfinity Center (formerly Great Woods), Mansfield, MA (1986 ... 88?)
James Taylor, Xfinity Center (formerly Great Woods), Mansfield, MA (1989 or 1990)
Suzanne Vega, Boston, MA (1990?)
Metallica, Austin, TX (1992)
Gidon Kremer and Kremerata Baltica, Tanglewood, Lenox, MA (1999)
Angelique Kidjo and Bebel Gilberto NY, NY (2002?)
Placebo, Roseland Ballroom, NY, NY (2007)
Lady Gaga, NY, NY (2009)
Chris Thile, Gabriel Kahane, Brad Mehldau, (Le) Poisson Rouge, NY, NY (2011)
Punch Brothers, Rockwood Music Hall, NY, NY (2012)
Okkervil River, Grand Central Terminal, NY, NY (2013)
nononono

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 10:41 pm
@tsarstepan,
Hells yeah! Smile

The only one of those bands I've seen also is Metallica. But I saw them in 1997. It was a good show, but it would've been WAY cooler to have seen them in 1992 when they were basically at their peak.
glitterbag

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 10:45 pm
Before live music was considered 'a concert' I saw many performers in various venues.

The Rolling Stones at their first US Tour in 1964 and 5 times since then.

A whole review of black artists in 1963, including James Brown, Jackie Wilson, the Four Tops, The Platters, and too many others to remember, I was in junior high, Moms Mabley was going to close but we had to leave before she appeared (curfews)

In and around 1964 and 1969 we saw Bill Haley and the Comets in Dundalk, The 5th Dimension, The wonderful Marvin Gaye, and the Shirrels (sp) at a nightclub in Baltimore. I actually didn't want to see the Shirrels, the tickets were a gift, but I really liked the live performance.

Saw the Coasters when I was 18.

Dr. John, John Denver, Leon Redbone, Sapphire (the uppity blues women), the blind boys of Alabama, at the Rams Head in Annapolis

Manhatten Transfer prob 1976-77 at the Kennedy Centet

Great Tom Petty Concert out at the frigging Merriwether Post Pavillion

I almost forgot to mention Lyle Lovatt, OMG he travels with the best musicians.

I know that's more than 10, sue me.

I saw George Carlin in 1972, brilliant

Linda Ronstadt sometime before 1979 (she sang Blue bayou)

Saw Steve Martin 3 times. Lots of fun. (He did King Tut in costume on roller skates, sublime)

Richard Pryor, holy crap what a performance. (I shouldn't have listed him last, he was a flat out genius)

When I was 11, a neighborhood pal's parents took us to the Grand old Opry, I thought I would hate it,bi didn't know anyone who liked country music, but I remember seeing a Blue Grass group who were amazing, possibly Flatt & Scruggs????, Marty Robbins sang 'On the Wings of a Snow White Dove', whoever recorded 'a white sports coat', I think Ferlin Husky, but Im not sure, just always thought that was the worst possible name ever.

There is nothing like live music. Too bad it's performed at huge venues.
nononono

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:16 pm
@glitterbag,
OH MY GOD Very Happy

The Stones in '64!!!

James Brown! Jackie Wilson! Marvin Gaye! Richard Pryor!! George Carlin!!

Tom Petty Smile

I'm SUPER jealous and am bowing to you!

I was born in the late 1970's so I missed a lot.

Quote:
There is nothing like live music. Too bad it's performed at huge venues.

I agree SOOOOO much!! Smile That's why I've had a lot of my best live experiences with lesser known acts who perform in smaller clubs.

Thank you so much for sharing!!!
Very Happy
Real Music

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:41 pm
Best concerts I seen live includes:
Earth Wind and Fire
Cameo
Bell Biv Devoe, Keith Sweat, and Johnny Gill all in one show
Gladys Knight
Run DMC
Dramatics, Delfonics, Stylistics, and the Main Ingredients all in one show
nononono

Wed 4 Jun, 2014 11:52 pm
@Real Music,
RUN DMC...

I could've seen them back in 2002, right before Jam Master Jay got killed. BUT I didn't go Sad I've been kicking myself in the butt ever since...

The Dramatics, The Delfonics... I bet that was cool stuff Very Happy
glitterbag

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 12:04 am
@nononono,
And James Brown performed "please please please" with the guy coming out on stage draping the cape around James's shoulders, leading him offstage until he regained his wind and rush back, slide on his knees and start singing please don't go, into the mike. There were a ton of other performers, because (something I didn't realize), sadly they needed to travel only to places where African Americans could find hotels. That's why we got to see a review, we just were too young to understand what the realities of racism really were. But even though at the time, it was considered a large venue, the now long gone Baltimore Civic Center, was pale in comparison to the new mega centers. This was before you had to pay $400 for parking and tickets for legitimate non-scalped tickets ran about $150-250 for decent, but not great seating, and you really had to watch the big screen to see the stage in any detail. I love the smaller venues, the performers sound so much better.

I always wanted to see Prince, but I hate his whole Purple Rain concept. Otis Redding used a local group called the Upsetters for his mid-Atlantic back up band. We used to go to a seedy joint called "The Rhapsody" on Wed, Fri., and Sat. For years. We would listen and dance to the Upsetters and an awesome group who's name escapes me right now. I think that they only performed on Wednesday, they were signed by a major label, but inexplicably, the only single released was unrecognizable and didn't do well anywhere but Baltimore. They would play 'Harlem Nocturne' and many other classics that I assume no one younger than 55 has ever heard.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 12:45 am
Many concerts not worth a mention, but off the top of my head, those that were outstanding, in no particular order.....

Deep Purple, Kilburn (London) 1974 ish.

Pink Floyd, Knebworth 1990, where we were buzzed by a Spitfire.

Bowie (during his Ziggy phase)!1972/3? And then later at Wembley.

Stones twice, early 70's.
glitterbag

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 01:04 am
@Lordyaswas,
I do love the Stones. My brother and I took his 15 year old to see a Stones concert. Mick Jagger tossed a fender (I think) into the audience (to those lucky ground floor, up close and personal, bastards). My nephew stood up and screamed, he was thrilled. He could not believe his own eyeballs.

I forgot about seeing Cheap Trick, Brian Seltzer orch., shoot, there's another that just slipped my mind. Good night GB, go to sleep already.
Region Philbis

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 04:05 am

in no particular order...

The Who 1979, 1982, 1997, 2002
John Entwistle solo 1987
REM 1984
The Firm 1985
Neil Young 198(9?)
George Carlin 1992

i'm prolly forgetting one or two...
Ragman

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 07:41 am
Eric Burdon and The Animal (around 1966)
The Yardbirds (1967)
Jimi Hendrix Experience (1967)
The Eagles (with Joe Walsh - 1975 or 1976)
Dave Van Ronk (1971, 1975-1980)
Jeff Beck (1978)
Linda Ronstadt (1977)
Little Feat and Dave Mason (1977)
Jeff Beck and Stevie Ray Vaughan (1989 or early '90?)
Simon & Garfunkel - 2nd Reunion tour (around 2003)
Tom Rush (2002)

P.S. I know I got 11. that's as pared down as I could get.
tsarstepan

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 08:49 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

The Firm 1985

You saw a John Grisham novel in concert? Hmmm? Wink
Quote:
Neil Young 198(9?)

Lucky dog! Very Happy

Region Philbis

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 09:00 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
a John Grisham novel
no, tom cruise in his tightie-whities...
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 09:00 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Manhatten Transfer prob 1976-77 at the Kennedy Centet

Great Tom Petty Concert out at the frigging Merriwether Post Pavillion

I almost forgot to mention Lyle Lovatt, OMG he travels with the best musicians.

Waves of jealousy flood over me! Mad
0 Replies

Linkat

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 03:36 pm
My two favorites were the Rolling Stones steel wheels tour and U2 Joshua Tree tour in Leeds England.

The U2 concert was an all day/night thing with 3 other acts. The first was horrible, but the next was The Mission which was surprising good (never new them) and then The Pretenders who were incredible. We were young and on a soccer/football field (depending on where you are from) and nearly crushed to death - we were so close to the front. It was great. My friend and I said we would never do it again way dangerous (the general admission thing)- but it was definately worth the experience.

Oh and I did see many mention Tom Petty - it was my first (I'd say real concert - saw Sha na na when my mom brought me as a kid).

And the Who - the original final concert in NY Yankee stadium - I think it was around 1984...

The only thing that has come close since - is the Apples and Bananas tour performed by the Wiggles.
Roberta

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 04:05 pm
Simon and Garfunkel (at Carnegie Hall). This was right after The Graduate opened. It was the first public performance of the full version of Mrs. Robinson. Lots of celebs in the audience. I competed with Dustin Hoffman for a cab afterward. He won. (I was going to da Bronx.)

NY Philharmonic (or does this apply to singing only?) at the NY Botanical Gardens. Outdoor concert on the lawn. Beethoven under a clear blue sky.

Judy Collins in Cental Park

If I think of others, I'll be back.
Region Philbis

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 05:42 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
And the Who - the original final concert in NY Yankee stadium - I think it was around 1984...
don't think they ever played yankee stadium, but they did play shea stadium -- in '82...

R(I was there)P
tsarstepan

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 06:00 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta wrote:

NY Philharmonic (or does this apply to singing only?) at the NY Botanical Gardens. Outdoor concert on the lawn. Beethoven under a clear blue sky.

Of course they apply. I enjoy seeing them play in both Central Park and Prospect Park. I'm plan on seeing them this year on July 9th.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Thu 5 Jun, 2014 06:06 pm
The best concert hands down was Queen - the last tour of Freddie Mercury. 1986 in Munich.

I've seen the Stones and many others - Kiss nearly caused my ear drums to explode, but Queen remains the best!