I'm trying to sleep, damn it!!!!!!

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 10:32 pm
The County is resurfacing a busy road that runs past the entrance of our community. I can hear a deep rumbling noise from that direction, it's so deep and low I can feel it in the couch. They are doing the work at night to lessen traffic snarls, many people use that road to get to Annapolis. So I'm really happy for the commuters, but it sucks listening to this. Last night, well early around 3AM, the rumble woke me up. But the noise started tonight around 11PM and I'm hoping they can finish that section and move farther away so the noise stops. Just stops. It's tense. Crap.

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2014 11:17 pm
@glitterbag,
I use box fans at high speed in my bedroom to both cool it off and drown out the loud TV noise coming from another part of the house. I can't hear anything but the fan and it has now become white noise that helps me sleep.

Try something like that to see if it works for you.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 06:43 am
This, too, shall pass.

Aren't you making it out west this summer?
glitterbag

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 09:43 am
@bobsal u1553115,
My SIL said the fall would be better, so I'm setting my sights on Sept/Oct. She thinks the weather would be more accomodating. I think she's forgotten about the high humidity and heat during our summers in Maryland. Are you still offering to make Olivia biscuits?
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 09:46 am
@glitterbag,
I would recommend a good rub down with a hot Johnny Depp, gb.

It may not help you sleep, but at least you could sit up in bed all night with a big smile on your face.
Linkat

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 09:50 am
@Butrflynet,
That's what I was going to suggest. One of my daughters (a light sleeper) keeps a fan on even when not needed - I am pretty sure it is the white noise that drowns out other sounds.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 10:03 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I would recommend a good rub down with a hot Johnny Depp, gb.

It may not help you sleep, but at least you could sit up in bed all night with a big smile on your face.

Every time I think of Johnny Depp, I'm reminded of "Ed Wood". Now that movie makes me laugh. Oh hang on, is Johnny Depp Brit slang for something else?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 12:42 pm
@glitterbag,
I cannot sleep without the occasional fire engine, ambulance siren/horn. I could not sleep in the quiet of the country. The stillness was deafening.

Even as a small child, the loving honk of a taxi below my window was assuring me that the world was still there.

Tell me more stories about life outside the big cities.
glitterbag

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 12:48 pm
@Foofie,
Hi foofie, I thought you already knew everything worth knowing. How can anyone possibly offer you insight about anything.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Jun, 2014 01:05 pm
I like the fan idea too, as white noise. In fact I put my ceiling light fan on last night, with the light part of it off. It's hot here these days (100 F today). It's not too noisy, but I'm hard of hearing so maybe it is and I don't hear it - more like a susurration with mild breeziness.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 01:38 am
@ossobuco,
No road work noise last night, I figured it was finished. Turns out that a sink hole opened up on Eastbound Route 50 so all equipment or at least all workforce were redeployed to repair that immediately. Starting by Memorial Day, Route 50 has it's heaviest traffic as vacationers head off to Maryland and Delaware beaches. So the sink hole had to be repaired post haste to prevent paralyzing massive traffic snarls.

So, it's now 3:20 AM EST, and I woke up and can hear that heavy hum once again. I do have a fan going, I always have a fan running at night mainly just to keep the air moving. It's not nearly as loud and too far away to feel the vibration. I am awake now but I think I can go back to sleep.........in awhile. I'm not a light sleeper, but mr. GB is, so I'm downstairs until I get drowsy enough to fall back asleep without keeping him awake. With any luck I'll find a dreadful movie to watch, then boom, it's time to start the day.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 11:02 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Hi foofie, I thought you already knew everything worth knowing. How can anyone possibly offer you insight about anything.

Some things one cannot "know," since the truth is not to be known by the masses. In effect, some things known are just based on dissimulation. This was my epiphany when I realized my mother told me many a confabulation.
glitterbag

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 11:32 am
@Foofie,
Foofie, it's hot and humid today. The pollen level is very high. I realize you live in the heart of paradise, and truly my heart breaks that your mother was a big dissapointment to you, but you shouldn't assume everyone on A2K had parents who are dumber than dirt. I'm surprised that you managed to become such a huge know-it-all having to deal with that pathetic creature your father chose to help him populate the earth with children who would someday become as useful and bright as you think you are. But obviously, you rose far above his expectations and I urge you to spread your talents around in New York. You could prove to be an inspiration to all those who have struggled under the thumb of incredibly stupid mothers.

However, I live in the Annapolis/Baltimore/DC envirionment. Don't waste your New York talents here, and frankly hot air windbags only exaserbate the fetid humid conditions we usually contend with, I will have to turn the
thermostat down a few points and that costs me money. Your opinions of
course belong to you, have you ever considered forming a group of people who lived thru the hell of stupid moms? Like I said, that truly is a heartbreak, but I can't help you toss off your disappointment. I only remember the bright, well informed women and men who raised me. I hope you find peace of mind, or a piece of a mind.
Foofie

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 08:39 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Foofie, it's hot and humid today. The pollen level is very high. I realize you live in the heart of paradise, and truly my heart breaks that your mother was a big dissapointment to you, but you shouldn't assume everyone on A2K had parents who are dumber than dirt. I'm surprised that you managed to become such a huge know-it-all having to deal with that pathetic creature your father chose to help him populate the earth with children who would someday become as useful and bright as you think you are. But obviously, you rose far above his expectations and I urge you to spread your talents around in New York. You could prove to be an inspiration to all those who have struggled under the thumb of incredibly stupid mothers.

However, I live in the Annapolis/Baltimore/DC envirionment. Don't waste your New York talents here, and frankly hot air windbags only exaserbate the fetid humid conditions we usually contend with, I will have to turn the
thermostat down a few points and that costs me money. Your opinions of
course belong to you, have you ever considered forming a group of people who lived thru the hell of stupid moms? Like I said, that truly is a heartbreak, but I can't help you toss off your disappointment. I only remember the bright, well informed women and men who raised me. I hope you find peace of mind, or a piece of a mind.

My father was absent. All credit goes to Mom.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 01:56 pm
@Foofie,
And yet you damn her with faint praise. You're a good son.
vonny

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 05:17 am
@glitterbag,
How are you sleeping nowadays? I'm taking a Valerian based herbal remedy called Kalms - they work. hurrah!
glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 11:20 am
@vonny,
Lately I've been sleeping too much. I've been having problems with potassium, magnesium and sodium levels and was hospitalized for 3 loooong days in mid September. That was the third time since last December. My doc isn't sure what's causing this so she is sending me to an endocrinologist, but the earliest I can be seen is January 9th. Sighhhhh

I didn't bounce back like I usually do after this last trip to the hospital. I felt wiped out for at least a week. I'm much better most of the time, but every so often I have a day when all I can do is sleep. I'm hopeful that after the appt in January the docs can figure out what to do. I'm so sick and tired of being sick and tired.q
vonny

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 02:39 pm
@glitterbag,
Poor you. It sounds as if you've had a rough time with ongoing health problems. Let's hope the endocrinologist is able to help solve your problems when you see her. But what a long wait! January the 9th seems an awfully long way ahead.

I hope you don't have any more spells in hospital before your January appointment - horrid that the last one took so much out of you.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 07:09 pm
@vonny,
Me, I'd tell you about mineral water, the european kind that has minerals, but that might be wrong, even very wrong, so ignore me but look into it re your doctors.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2014 08:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, that's actually a good idea. There was an article in the Health Section of the Washington Post about Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, and although this is not a cure nor does it work for everybody, but some patients felt some relief drinking Gatorade. I think mineral water might be better because I don't have a clue what the manufacturer of Gatorade pump into their product. Thanks for the suggestion Osso.
0 Replies