cruel and unusual punishment

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 08:54 am

A US judge has found a unique way of punishing noise polluters by forcing them to listen to music that they hate.

Judge Paul Sacco from Fort Lupton, Colorado makes persistent noise nuisances listen to music from the likes of Barry Manilow and Barney the Dinosaur.

He claims his method of making offenders sit in a room and listen to music they don't like for one hour has seen a massive drop in the number of repeat offenders in the small town.

"These people should have to listen to music they don't like," Mr Sacco told local news station KUSA-TV.

"Most kids don't want to hear somebody like Glenn Close trying to sing opera," he said.

Sacco brought in the punishment when he noticed that many of the repeat offenders simply showed up at his courtroom to pay their fine with cash.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,587 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 09:10 am
@dyslexia,
I love it. Let the punishment fit the crime. While the judge is thinking of a proper punishment, how about a few hours of The Carpenters??? Laughing
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 10:22 am
@Phoenix32890,
How about having to listen to McCain and Palin campaign speeches for several days. That's enough to reform anyone.

BBB
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 11:39 am
@dyslexia,
I like the way this judge thinks. Good idea, and probably quite effective.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 12:18 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I LIKED THE CARPENTERS Go ahead -- heh heh -- punish me.
NickFun

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 03:04 pm
@dyslexia,
Indeed an innovative approach. However, judges are there to make money so I assume he must fine them as well.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 03:31 pm
@dyslexia,
Yay!!! That's such a clever consequence.

Very empathy building.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 03:46 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Andrew- I certainly don't expect that YOU would be one of the people who engages in noise pollution!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 04:31 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I had a neighbor two doors down - sad story over time, actually, but I'll skip along - who was out of her tree about the guy who played bongos in the place next door to her. He didn't do it that often, usually a sunday afternoon, and we enjoyed his drumming. At what was thus three doorways away, it was perfect music to garden by, weed by.

She got him back by taking out her spaghetti pot and and a metal kitchen implement and doing some drumming herself, but not at the same time he did. It was clearly retributive. He eventually moved, and I hope not because of her.
He was a person of color and that was the seventies, so it might have been a combo thing - I think it was, from some remark or other.

Then we have my husband and I calling the police on the mad-guitarist-at-full-blast-with-no melody-not even chords of any sort. He moved too, but we almost did before him.

Finally, an old boss lived in a lively apartment complex, and was staying up a lot of the night to right a medical paper. So when the extremely loud music emanated from across the courtyard and requests for them to shut it up were to no avail, he set the alarm and his stereo system newly facing out his window for 5 a.m. The needle was set on Tchaikovsky's cannon sequence in the 1812 overture, at full volume. He quickly shut the window.

I agree with anyone who mentions that this punished the entire building, but, still, I think of it as a good story.

0 Replies