moonstone?

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 11:46 am
Took a trip to the beach to collect pebbles to make beads. Foraged around a bunch of granite boulders along the shore, so picked up a bunch of quartz and feldspar. Got home and started washing and sorting to begin polishing and drilling and noticed a good portion of the feldspar and some of what I had assumed was white quartz had a pearlescent shine. So now I'm wondering if they are moonstone. Not very gemy but still a nice surprise if they are considering all I was looking for was quartz and just happened to like the orange of the feldspar so starred picking that up too. Second opinions welcome
http://imgur.com/a/KIqCF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 622 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 04:39 pm
@transcedental,
Could be, Dent. Moonstone is described as a pearly, opalescent feldspar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonstone_(gemstone)
transcedental

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 09:11 pm
@dalehileman,
Yeah I did a ton of googling, most moonstone has a blue occasionally green luster to it ( at least most gem quality stuff) ....found peach moonstone has a white pearl shine to it and it is made into cabochons or beads. I'm super excited for this find its all over the beach! Not valuable but easy pickings, there is a demand for it as a genstone and it's beautiful
farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 12:07 pm
@transcedental,
back to basics if you don't have an x ray. look at fracture/cleavage and HARDNESS.

later
0 Replies