Geochemistry in Petrology. Help please!!!

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2014 09:26 am
Hi all. I'm very interested in geochemical approaches to tectonic environments and geodynamics. Yet, I need to gather some more information before I can fully understand the papers. Can anybody recommend me a source (e-book, book, etc.) that is very descriptive about how we use geochemical data in petrological research. Petrology books (Winter's book and in usual) do give some information. But, it's not enough to understand everything in a scientific paper; like how they came to conclusion about the rocks analyzed originated from two different sources for example; or details to interpret spider diagrams; relation of elemental abundances with specific tectonic environments, detailed explanations to harker diagram trends with examples, ways to unravel crustal contamination, crystal-liquid fractionation processes and etc.
Please??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 1,804 • Replies: 5
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 12:03 pm
@EarthAngel111,
Marshall nd Firbridge's Geochem Encyclopedia. Geostatitics for economic geologists nd anything about MORB (Mid Ocean Ridge Bsalt).

GSA has plenty of pro ppaers tht cover the various techniques
sorry, Im timing out soon, be back ltr
EarthAngel111

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 04:47 am
@farmerman,
Thank you very much. I'd like to find a used copy. Hopefully they will ship it on time. I usually come across this book: http://biblio.co.uk/book/encyclopedia-geochemistry-environmental-sciences-fairbridge-rhodes/d/13238207 Do you think it will be of great use too, just like the one you have suggested?
EarthAngel111

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 04:48 am
@farmerman,
And about GSA papers; how do you advice to search the necessary ones? How can I obtain them?

Thanks again. Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 08:37 am
@EarthAngel111,
that's it. (Rhodes was his first nme and the later editions of his ENCYCLOPEDIAS, were edited as a team function.(He died in 2006 and I think a newer version , updated since the 90's was prepared around 2010. Ive got a 1990's version with Marshall as one of the credited editors. ) Its kinda pricey so Id go to a University library n scan one of its on-line editions, then decide if youre that interested in buying it (mine cost over 300$ in the 90's an the last verison I saw was around 600$
make sure you get the latest editions since Fairbridge did his original work in the late 60's and the techniques of using certain chemical statistics weren't available until heavy duty computer crunching was mainstream.
farmerman

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 08:46 am
@farmerman,
As far as the GSA (geological Society of America) go to the publications section of their website for the listing of professional papers and their "Special Papers". (Many of these papers display geological provinces as examples of how the " geo chemical tools" and "geospatial techniques"are developed for te oractice.
Your questions are mostly being used to analyze times of deposition an planetary regions based upon mid oceanic ridge BASALTS. (the trace elements are quite varied all over the map)
hve fun (Im an economic geologist and I have to admit that much of the MORB data puts me to sleep)
0 Replies