worldtraveler24

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:07 am
@Syamsu,
yes--no doubt --quite shallow people without hope beyond the material.
farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:30 am
@Syamsu,
Quote:

Intelligent design theory, by any other name, is now cutting edge science. Or so to say, to describe the origins of organisms and species in terms of the decisions by which they came to be, that is new science.
Its so new that theres no one even teaching it.

If 99.99% of physicians reviewing a proposed surgery procedure agree on the best approach and a mere 0.01% have some "fringey" procedure involving peach pits and dung beetle droppings. Who ya gonna follow?

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:32 am
@worldtraveler24,
Quote:
yes--no doubt --quite shallow people without hope beyond the material.
Sounds like a bit of selfieness going on. A Pharisee speaks about all us Publicans.

Yep, its good to be you, no work involved, jut blind faith.
kiuku

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 08:42 am
@Syamsu,
atheists aren't usually good looking though...

where I come from.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 10:18 am
@Syamsu,
I've never seen this big bang tv series, so i'll defer to your expertise on that horseshit. I'm not surprised that you consider that to be profound evidence of . . . something, given the other drek that you post. The rest of that drivel is mere straw man fallacies. I've never said any of those things about love or beauty, nor have i known any atheist to have said them. It's really easy to pretend to be wise when you just make sh*t up.
0 Replies

worldtraveler24

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 03:00 pm
@farmerman,
I never said that farmer man...I said in a rhetorical way that if you depend only on the material (as was stated by one of your cohorts) then your life is shallow and is without hope other than what your material side can offer. Would not you agree that your hope is in science and the material only? What error have I made in my statement?

I in no wise said I was better than any of you---I just don't believe in the material only as you and the majority of these posters do. I believe in a spiritual world far greater than the physical --a deity far greater than the material. No selfishness here.

farmerman

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 03:15 pm
@worldtraveler24,
That's what I understood you to say. your "Christian attitude" about we lessers was well noted.

What was wrong with my assessment of what you said??

Didn't the Pharisee thank his god that he was not like these other lowlifes (even the publican who was too busy in his duties to be judgemental about the Pharisee?)

The religion that gave rise to your Christian beliefs has no doctrines of "eternal rewards". They believe that this life is pretty much it so trying to live good life and not be so damn jugemental bout others would almost be a Christian way of seeking the good, NO?

Ill bet you go to a church every Sunday all decked out in finery so that you can compare what youre wearing with those near you, and you can feel so good about yourself.

rosborne979

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 04:44 am
@Syamsu,
So, you're accusing atheists of being rational?
0 Replies

Syamsu

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 07:55 am
@farmerman,
That's right the mathematics of choosing has not been worked out very much. But this is still the best theory in science, because it describes the origins of things. Even common sense knowledge about choosing is more important knowledge than any mainstream science.
0 Replies

worldtraveler24

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 08:18 am
@farmerman,
Yes, and I wear clean humble clothes to church...nothing fancy. I have even been known to buy second hand--how does that settle with you? Jesus said to not love the world nor the things in the world--that includes fancy clothes. I am not the typical "Christian".

There is no haughty attitude here. I was the worst of the worst--I cheated on my wife, I would lie and take advantage of others, I was a ruthless no good--I was on my way to destruction. Then, God saved me from my old life: He gave me the Holy Ghost and changed my life. I am not saying that I am better than you Farmer man--I imagine your IQ is much higher than mine; I imagine you are a good clean moral individual. I am just simply saying I know I have something better than you have because believing in Jesus is much better than only believing in the material and the physical. That is all I am saying. Please understand I am not arrogant nor better thank anyone else.

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 10:46 am
@worldtraveler24,
Quote:
I have something better than you have because believing in Jesus is much better than only believing in the material and the physical.
You have something that is comfortable FOR YOU. I am not assuaged by a simplistic explanation tht strains credulity no matter how uncomfortable it is to me. To sit on my ass and default to "Sky Father", to me,seems an incredible waste of ones ass cheeks and brain cells.
A universal "good" and natural law state the obvious rules that Christianity an several other religions preach. I skip all the pomp and ceremony and try to do my own version of good and try to stand as an example for my family and those nearby. I don't make it always either but that's all on me .
I firmly believe that its ALL on me and theres no cop-out mythology (except that we know that it IS a mythology).

We will obviously agree to disagree. Feel good about your path and try not to denigrate mine, because when you do, you seem to be living counter to what you preach.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 10:49 am
@farmerman,
I agree; the only truth one needs is "treat all living things with respect and dignity." Nothing more is needed to live a humane life on this planet.
worldtraveler24

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 10:51 am
@cicerone imposter,
agreed
worldtraveler24

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 10:53 am
@worldtraveler24,
the only problem is the life after this one...what then?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 10:56 am
@worldtraveler24,
Get over the idea that there is any life after death. That's a religious belief that's universal, but never proven. Live with what we can learn from facts and evidence, not mythological stories.

Any way, it doesn't make any difference one way or the other. Why worry about it?
farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 10:59 am
@cicerone imposter,
Ive got too much to do with this life to be even concerned about something that may lie after.
If a god exists, I cant think that its so damned vain and insecure that its gonna punish us little ants for NOT believing in it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:02 am
@farmerman,
That's only one of the multitude of contradictions of religion.
worldtraveler24

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:35 am
@cicerone imposter,
I perceive that you are anti-God and anti-religion. What do you believe in? Yourself? the trees? Science only? You know that one day you will die--that is a proven fact--The afterlife has been proven several times by many first eye witness accounts. Research it. You may be surprised at what people are saying!
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 11:37 am
@worldtraveler24,
It's a proven fact that once given birth, we all die. That's the cycle of all life; it's nature.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 12:31 pm
@worldtraveler24,
Quote:
The afterlife has been proven several times by many first eye witness accounts
If you mean "NDE's" theres no clear evidence that the brain, in it course of "Shutting down to a state of death" doesn't have a "null state" that may last a few minutes or hours as a last ditch spark of memory and consciousness. there are many many folks who, once revived had NOT experienced an NDE.