Are zodiac signs legit?

jora

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 08:59 pm
I've often wondered this: are there any statistics out there showing that people's zodiac signs describe their personalities perfectly or at least near perfectly?
My sign is leo, but it has never really described me. I am outgoing and outspoken at home, but rarely in public. Leos are supposed to be very outgoing with everyone. I am not interested in designer clothing and material possessions as leos are said to be. And I do not see the need to be center stage or first in line, another leo trait. Nothing ever rings true for me when I read about the leo personality.
Am I just an exception? Or are zodiac signs usually like this for people?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,383 • Replies: 30
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:04 pm
No they are not legit, but if you belive in them you might mold your personality to fit the stereotype.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:06 pm
No.

And if you think about it it doesn't make any sense. Do you really think that people born on the same day have the same personality?

Not only that, the dates that the sun passes through each zodiac sign have changed since they were invented since the earth is wobbling ever so slightly. Over the past 5000 years there has been a noticable change. (I am sorry to bring science into this but I was trained in physics and have taught basic astronomy.)

Astrology may be fun. It is foolish to take it any more serious than that.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:09 pm
Serious? Was this suppose to be a serious question? In that case the answer is no. You realize of course that horoscopes are just written by regular writers, who need no experience in astrology. They just need to be okay with fiction. It doesn't pay much either.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:12 pm
Quote:
Astrology may be fun. It is foolish to take it any more serious than that.

It was a damn fine calendar, time piece, almanac, and navigational tool for people who knew how to read the sky. We've automated things a bit since then.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:38 pm
Are zodiac signs legit?

They're to legit to quit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 04:59 am
During my lifetime, about 1200 people have tried to "guess my sign" . . .

Guess what? One hundred of them got it right ! ! !
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:11 am
Hmmm...lemme try my hand at this. jora, you are a Leo, and feel you do not fit the personality profile. Here are two things to consider: There are two types of Leos, the outgoing Lion, and the more demure Lioness. Clearly, you are the lioness Leo. You show your outspoken side at home, where your true heart lies. Also, you mustn't simply consider your sun sign when trying to analyze your personality through astrology. For a mere $150.00, I would be happy to cast your full astrological chart for you.

Not bad eh? Laughing
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:29 am
The following is "JUST FOR FUN: Your Horoscope" on the ONION.

Quote:
0 Replies

travelingyrl04

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 11:35 am
Re: Are zodiac signs legit?
jora signs are just basically for fun some people fall for it "thinking" its fits them perfectly but it's all just ordinary people just bored as hell.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 11:43 am
Okay, just to be a shite, how different is astrology from psychology? If the goal is to make the subject feel better about themselves, and give them a sense of deeper understanding regarding their personalities, why pooh-pooh one, and not the other? Does it simply come down to a matter of a degree? What of those who are just naturally intuitive?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:13 pm
Psychology gathers information about the subject before making predictions to more effectively shake them down. Wink
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:15 pm
Hmm...however, both professions pay well, and being a hukster is easier to master....the more I think about it, the more it seems the same....
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:21 pm
I've known folks with good and bad shrinks. Almost invariably, the people with bad ones like everything the shrink tells them -- very validating. Good shrinks challenge their patients to confront their problems and make personal changes when necessary; bad shrinks just help their patients justify their own actions.

Just my tuppence worth.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:29 pm
Well stated patiodog, I concur. I often think that half the people who go into these professions are doing it to exorcise their own demons, not to help others.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:35 pm
Only half? Anyway, I'm not at all sure helping oneself and helping others is mutually exclusive. The sister-in-law is a psychologist who had a dismal childhood and now works with NYC public school kids. The situations are a bit different, but I think if she came from a stable background with a loving and supportive home life, she'd lose a great deal of her empathy for the kids. (It doesn't hurt that she's a bit of a lifelong 12-year-old herself, either.)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:08 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I often think that half the people who go into these professions are doing it to exorcise their own demons, not to help others.

Only half, cav? I'd say more like 3/4.

I've said this for years. They may like the idea of helping people, but it was their own problems that attracted them to the field.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:27 pm
Eva and patiodog, yes, I would have responded earlier, but duty called. I agree, I underestimated the numbers there, possibly because I am too good-hearted, and like to give people the benefit of the doubt. Now, call my shrink for me, I'm too emotionally disabled to pick up the phone.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:30 pm
the truely enlightened rely on fortune cookies.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 02:32 pm
Funny thing, just a couple of weeks ago, I got a fortune cookie that had not one, not two, but five fortunes in it. Despite the postive words they all had to say, I went into a shame spiral from not knowing if '5' was unlucky in some cultures.
0 Replies