hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 09:58 pm
@nononono,
Quote:
I think that most people at a BASE level just want to know that people are listening to them. I think being a good listener is important. Just from my personal experience, I know that if I actively listen to what people are saying to me, those people usually respond well.

expand that into being treated decently in general. Wayne Dyer used to talk about how he could almost always transform the most unpleasant people ( I think he used airline employees as an example) into putty in his hands by being nice to them, genuinely, for 30 seconds. This was part of his " the power of intention" lecture. What you are talking about gets you civility, but not understanding or any closer to the truth.
nononono

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
What you are talking about gets you civility, but not understanding or any closer to the truth.

Ok, I disagree with you here. I can be a royal asshole, but I can also be charming when I want to. The former may sometimes be more satisfying on a personal level, but the later gets more **** done.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
This little california multi tool killing spree will be forgotten fast...

That's because it's almost immediately replaced with another one. Like this one yesterday in Seattle.

Quote:
THE SEATTLE SHOOTINGS
Another in a long line of
American gun tragedies
June 06, 2014

SEATTLE, WA) -- The shootings, the killings are now starting to resemble one another in such detail and form that in some cases it is possible to simply change the dates, locations and names and it is the same tragic news story told over and over.

This is that same story.

It is a story that has condensed itself down over time into a tragic B-movie plot that repeats over and over in a horrific pattern of senseless violence that is now ossified across the American landscape.

Troubled young man, most often a white male in his 20s to 30s, easily gets a hold of guns in a land where guns often outnumber hamburgers and are easier to buy than heroin, walks into a movie theater or college or high school campus and starts the senseless slaughtering of strangers.

It's all very familiar territory for most Americans.

On Thursday afternoon during the 3:00 hour in Seattle (police got the first call at 3:23 pm) this now fully formed archetype of an American killer went about his work at one of the safest places in town -- the campus of Seattle Pacific University.

This archetype killer always seems to choose a place where he thinks there will be no armed resistance. This allows most often for the greatest number of kills in the shortest period of time, which appears to be the goal or at least one of the goals of the shooter.

This gunman, just 26-years of age, white and male walked into Otto Miller Hall just north of 3rd Avenue and W. Nickerson Street wearing a black, hooded sweatshirt, sneakers and jeans and packing a shotgun, extra ammo and a knife.

He opened fire on three people, according to Seattle Police, killing one and injuring two others.

The shooter may have emptied that shotgun - a devastating weapon at close quarters - in the first salvo or simply wanted to reload before the weapon hit dead-stop empty because he stopped pulling the trigger and began to reload the instrument of death and that was his downfall.

When he started that reload, "A student building monitor heroically intervened. The monitor, a man in his 20s, pepper sprayed the suspect before tackling him to the ground. Several bystanders also seized upon the suspect—who was also carrying a knife and additional ammunition—and took his gun," said Seattle Police in a statement issued after the shooting.

The student at the school who took the gunman down was later identified in published reports as Jon Meis, 22, a senior engineering student from Renton.

His fast move on the gunman may have prevented many more deaths and injuries. The BBC has published a piece focusing on the heroic act of Jon Meis here .

"He is a hero," fellow student Matt Garcia wrote on Twitter. "I'm proud of [his] selfless actions."

Police arrived on scene within four minutes of the first report and called for medics, who arrived and began transporting their first patient to a hospital less than 10 minutes after the first 911 call.

Medics transported a man in his 20s with critical injuries to Harborview Medical Center, where he died from his wounds according to police.

Medics also transported a woman in her 20s, also with critical injures, and a man in his 20s with pellet wounds to his neck and chest—he was reported in stable condition last night—and another man in his 20s with minor injuries sustained during the struggle with the shooter.

As police began searching the campus, SPU staff implemented the school’s "active-shooter emergency plan," previously developed by school security and Seattle police, alerting students and staff to hunker down and "shelter in place."

Police SWAT teams then swept through the campus, and found a number of students and faculty members, many of them scared down to the bone, hiding in classrooms and offices.

"Amidst the chaos of the incident, police had received reports of a second suspect, but officers and detectives have determined the gunman acted alone," said police spokesman Jonah Spangethall-Lee in an update on the incident late Thursday night.

Police say that as of late Thursday they had had not found any connection between the suspect, Seattle Pacific University or any of the victims.

Detectives are searching additional locations for evidence in the case.

Police did not release the man's name but local published reports identified the suspect as Aaron Ybarra, 26, of Mountlake Terrace, Washington who was booked into the King County Jail for investigation of murder.

And in keeping with the well-established archetype for this type of thing no one seemed to have a clue yesterday as to a motive for the carnage.

The Seattle Times quoted one law enforcement source as saying the shooter, "was hellbent on killing a lot of people today."

In a piece for the New Yorker magazine following the Newton, Connecticut school shootings, Brit John Cassidy in a story called "America's Shame" wrote:

"The U.S.’s addiction to gun violence and its capacity to generate these acts of astonishing selfishness, cruelty, and nihilism is sometimes seen as an immutable national trait—something as American as baseball and fast food.

From this perspective, producing crazed shooters like Adam Lanza is just one of those things that American does better than any other nation, the criminal equivalent of churning out New York comedians and Silicon Valley billionaires."
http://www.skyvalleychronicle.com/FEATURE-NEWS/THE-SEATTLE-SHOOTINGS-br-I-Another-in-a-long-line-of-American-gun-tragedies-I-1754569

And, in Georgia today, catastrophe was narrowly avoided when a heavily armed man tried to launch a frontal attack on a courthouse.

Quote:
Authorities: Georgia courthouse attacker prepared to inflict mayhem
By Greg Botelho, Eliott C. McLaughlin and Jason Hanna, CNN
Fri June 6, 2014

(CNN) -- Dennis Marx wore body armor and a gas mask. He brandished an assault rifle, an assortment of grenades, "all kinds of ammunition" and even used his silver Nissan SUV as a weapon of sorts, according to authorities. The 48-year-old man toted his own water supply and flexible handcuffs, presumably to corral hostages once he got inside the north Georgia courthouse.

As Forsyth County Sheriff Duane Piper said, "He came prepared to do this."

But Dennis Marx never even made it inside.

A nearly three-minute long gunfight Friday ended with Marx dead, after being confronted by a swarm of law enforcement officers.

They seemingly came from everywhere -- from the jail across the street, as part of a SWAT team that happened to be nearby and even inside the courthouse where they busted out windows in order to get more angles to target the attacked.

Piper singled out one officer in particular -- a veteran sheriff's deputy who first confronted Marx, who then tried to run the deputy over -- for his vital part in deterring the attacker. Shot twice in the leg, the deputy was the only person wounded despite what the sheriff called "a full frontal assault."

"It was very close to being a major catastrophe," Piper said. "The deputy that was shot ... averted what, I think, would have been a lot more deaths."

Swift, significant response to attack

Marx was supposed to be at the Forsyth County Courthouse in Cumming. Court documents show he faced 11 felony charges -- 10 of them related to the manufacture, possession and sale of illicit drugs, including marijuana, plus one count of having a firearm while in the commission of a felony -- dating back to August 2011.

According to the sheriff's office, he was expected to enter a plea Friday before Chief Superior Court Judge Jeffrey Bagley.

Needless to say, he never made it.

Instead, around 10 a.m. Friday, Marx drove up to the courthouse, threw out "homemade spike strips" to delay any police response, and tried to run over the deputy, Piper said.

The deputy -- a 30-year veteran whose duties include canvassing the scene outside the courthouse -- opened fire, and Marx returned fire through his windshield.

He didn't stop with bullets. According to the sheriff, Marx tossed tear gas grenades, smoke grenades and pepper spray grenades -- something he could do more easily with his gas mask strapped on.

Despite this barrage of weapons, the sheriff's deputy was able to distract Marx, to slow him. Even a little delay made a big difference, as officers armed with assault rifles came over from the jail across the street.

A SWAT team pulled up about 30 seconds into the firefight and engaged the attacker, according to Piper. The sheriff initially estimated the whole thing took 90 seconds but, after watching more video, he doubled that time.

However long it lasted, it ended with Marx dead of multiple gunshot wounds.

With eight officers opening fire at one point, authorities don't yet know which one of them fired the fatal shot.

'He was there to occupy the courthouse'

Afterward, the wounded deputy -- identified by local media as James Daniel Rush -- was transported to a local hospital.

There, the officer had surgery for fractures to his fibula and tibia in the lower right leg, injuries Piper said weren't life-threatening.

But his colleagues still had to work to do. They went to Marx's home in Cumming, a small city about 35 northeast of downtown Atlanta, with every expectation that it was booby trapped.

As Piper said: "Last time we were at the home, we were suspicious because it had been booby trapped before."

Once they finally made their way in and cleared the house, they found homemade explosives, according to a law enforcement source. It wasn't clear whether those were attempted booby traps.

A preliminary investigation found that Marx hadn't been in his Cumming home for about 10 days. Besides that, little is known about him beyond that he began working at the Transportation Security Administration in October 2002, according to a U.S. official, and left either the next year or in 2004.

The sheriff said Friday that he and others weren't ready yet to discuss Marx's motive or his thinking.

That said, Piper said it was evident that Marx "came prepared to stay a while."

"We don't know who he was coming to the courthouse for, but with the flex ties and the restraining devices he had with him," said the sheriff. "We have to assume that he was there to occupy the courthouse."

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/06/justice/georgia-courthouse-shooting/

And these incidents will be replaced by new ones in the news...
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:16 pm
@firefly,
one person dead does not a " killing spree" make.

I know how understanding word definitions is a problem for you.
firefly

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:20 pm
@hawkeye10,
These are shooting sprees.

In the Seattle shooting, people were wounded, beside the one killed.

In Georgia, that man came prepared for a major attack. You would have been happier if he had made it inside the courthouse and shot and killed more people? Or if he had killed police outside the courthouse?

He showed up prepared for a major attack. That's the point.
Quote:

"It was very close to being a major catastrophe," Piper said. "The deputy that was shot ... averted what, I think, would have been a lot more deaths."
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:21 pm
Quote:
Hawkeye said: Wayne Dyer used to talk about how he could almost always transform the most unpleasant people ( I think he used airline employees as an example) into putty in his hands by being nice to them, genuinely, for 30 seconds

Yeah, I once saw a heckler hassling some christian street preachers in Leicester, then one of them picked up on his London accent and got chatting to him about the glory days of West Ham Football Club, and soon the guy was full of apologies all round..Smile

Likewise, in the medieval Russian town of Perm, the local big shots sent hitmen to kill a christian preacher called Stephen, but they came back and said "We couldn't do it because he was full of warmth and friendliness towards us"..Smile
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:26 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:

Quote:
This little california multi tool killing spree will be forgotten fast...

That's because it's almost immediately replaced with another one.
Like this one yesterday in Seattle.

Quote:
THE SEATTLE SHOOTINGS
Another in a long line of
American gun tragedies
June 06, 2014
How long is the LINE OF CAR COLLISION tragedies,
or drownings, or slip and fall tragedies. The repressionists
are bound and determined to subvert our natural right to FIGHT BACK
against the predatory violence of man or beast by legally disarming future victims.

I pledge to fight back against the liberal repressionists every step of the way.
". . . we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender." Winston Churchill

David
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:34 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
In the Seattle shooting, people were wounded, beside the one killed.

In Georgia, that man came prepared for a major attack. You would have been happier if he had made it inside the courthouse and shot and killed more people? Or if he had killed police outside the courthouse?

this seattle thing is minor damage from a nut job. He has dreams of doing a Columbine he says but he walked in with nothing but a regular shotgun and a knife. This actually looks like a case of attempted suicide by cop, because no one can be that incompetent. He even did a tourist trip to Columbine, he had to have some idea of how to do it right. He choose not to, most likely because he decided that he did not need to kill a lot of people to get someone to kill him. FAIL. He did not follow Davids rule of always making sure that you have enough firepower to get the job done.

EDIT: Natch the alleged journalists are going with the lead that he wanted to kill as many as he could, almost completely ignoring that he did not come equipped to do it. Expecting an educated fair evaluation of reality now days from journalists is most of the time expecting too much.

EDIT2:

Quote:
“He was hell-bent on killing a lot of people [Thursday],” a law enforcement source told the Times.

http://www.ibtimes.com/who-aaron-ybarra-suspected-seattle-pacific-university-shooter-obsessed-columbine-1595326

Ya, the cops are not known for telling the truth either.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:41 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
Hawkeye said: Wayne Dyer used to talk about how he could almost always transform the most unpleasant people ( I think he used airline employees as an example) into putty in his hands by being nice to them, genuinely, for 30 seconds
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Yeah, I once saw a heckler hassling some christian street preachers in Leicester, then one of them picked up on his London accent and got chatting to him about the glory days of West Ham Football Club, and soon the guy was full of apologies all round..Smile

Likewise, in the medieval Russian town of Perm, the local big shots sent hitmen to kill a christian preacher called Stephen, but they came back and said "We couldn't do it because he was full of warmth and friendliness towards us"..Smile
Arthur Bremmer, the guy that shot
Gov. George Wallace because he didn't like him, said that he was on
his way to find and kill Wallace, but he stopped for a sandwich
because he was hungry, but a waitress smiled at him.

That changed his mood; he abandoned his murder-quest (for that day).
In his chronicle, Elliot laments that no girl ever smiled at him.
I wonder if girls sensed his fear and that scared them away.

David
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:42 pm
@hawkeye10,
The man in Seattle may not have been able to get a more high power weapon--he had twice been involuntarily admitted to a psych hospital.

So better controls on who gets guns can help.

And he was stopped by someone who didn't have a gun.

The problem is the violence--more guns=more violence.

High power semi-automatic weapons=more people killed and injured rapidly, very rapidly.

The man in Georgia today came to that courthouse very well equipped. That could have been a major catastrophe.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:50 pm
Quote:
OmSig said: In his chronicle, Elliot laments that no girl ever smiled at him. I wonder if girls sensed his fear and that scared them away.

Yeah I'm sure we'd like to hear their side of it!
Personally in my younger days girls hardly ever smiled at me either, and if one did I usually ran a mile out of shyness..Wink
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:54 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
The man in Seattle may not have been able to get a more high power weapon--he had twice been involuntarily admitted to a psych hospital.

So better controls on who gets guns can help.

you may be correct

Quote:
Ybarra, who isn't a student at the school, reportedly lives with his parents and is described as--you guessed it--"angry, anti social, and disaffected." He bought the weapon used in the attack two years ago. According to the NRA, the state of Washington does not require a person to obtain a permit prior to buying a shotgun, or rifle, or to carry one. Nor does an individual need to purchase a license to own either type of weapon. In addition the state doesn't mandate an owner register them with police. In other words, Aaron Ybarra, who was busily researching other mass shootings while sitting at home with mom and dad--he was particularly fond of the Columbine High School massacre--was completely off the radar.

http://ghostshirtpapers.blogspot.com/2014/06/the-week-that-was-good-guy-without-gun.html

On the other hand he used to work at a gun range, seems to me that getting semi-automatics is a lot like getting heroin, not exactly easy to get, but if you want it you can almost always get it. This guy must have known where to go to get one.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 10:58 pm
@firefly,
How do you propose to implement such better controls without violating individuals' privacy, and unfairly stigmatizing those with mental health issues?

How would a seller of guns know that this individual had twice been involuntarily admitted to a psychiatric hospital?

Should someone who voluntarily admitted themselves to a psychiatric hospital be denied gun ownership, and if so how would the seller of guns be made aware of the prior admission(s)?

Everyone who is admitted (voluntarily or otherwise) to a psychiatric hospital is not a violent psychopath, and not everyone who is admitted isn't released, without their mental illness under control.

I'm not saying that violent psychopaths should be allowed to have guns because of the 2nd Amendment, but I am saying that it is a far more complicated problem than is often portrayed.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 11:02 pm
Incidentally the two Columbine school shooters who killed 13 in 1999, deliberately avoided killing at least one pupil who they liked.
In a TV docu he said something like "Are you going to kill me too?" as he hid under a desk, to which one of them replied "No, it's okay", and moved on because they knew and liked him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbine_High_School_massacre
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 11:10 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
OmSig said: In his chronicle, Elliot laments that no girl ever smiled at him.
I wonder if girls sensed his fear and that scared them away.
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Yeah I'm sure we'd like to hear their side of it!
I suspect that most likely, thay took very little notice of him.

To any female poster in A2K:
IF u had shared a class with Elliot,
what are the chances that u 'd have approached him in friendship ?

Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Personally in my younger days girls hardly ever smiled at me either,
and if one did I usually ran a mile out of shyness..Wink
On seldom occasions in my youth, girls DID smile at me,
but nothing much came of it. Un-like Elliot, I did not attribute much
significance to it most of the time.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 11:21 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Incidentally the two Columbine school shooters who killed 13 in 1999,
deliberately avoided killing at least one pupil who they liked.
In a TV docu he said something like "Are you going to kill me too?" as he hid under a desk,
to which one of them replied "No, it's okay", and moved on because they knew and liked him.
I wish that their victims had been defensively armed
as well as I was, when I was a student.

David
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 11:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, as our resident gun expert please tell us if I am correct that most any idiot can get a semi automatic, or even a fully automatic with a large mag if they put some time into it. My assertion is that a guy who walks into a university with only a regular shoot gun either does not really want to kill a lot of people, or they are a bad combination of stupid/lazy.

Am I right or am I right?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 11:27 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
. . . I'm not saying that violent psychopaths should be allowed
to have guns because of the 2nd Amendment . . .
Are u saying that thay can be PREVENTED from getting guns
as successfully as thay have been prevented from getting marijuana or heroin ?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 11:34 pm
My schoolmate Tez brought a home-made pistol to school once; it was rumoured he was going to kill some peedo teachers, and he couldn't complain to the headmaster because he was their ringleader.
He simmered down though, and no shots were fired.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2014 11:40 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I believe they already do a background check for involuntary psych hospitalizations.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mental-health-background-check-newtown-shooting-adam-lanza

They are proposing more legislation I find very troubling in terms of civil liberties.
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/DC-Decoder/2014/0530/Why-Congress-targets-mental-health-not-gun-control-after-mass-killings-video
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Elliot Rodger
  3. » Page 47
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/24/2024 at 04:08:39