Legality of a Voicemail Transcript

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 12:39 pm
Is it illegal to type up a transcript of a message left on voicemail and send it to the Better Business Bureau to dispute questionable business practices of a sport gym membership company?

All I did was type up the message on my voicemail that a Masssachusetts Sports Gym Rep left on my cellphone and faxed it back to the gym representative asking them to clarify their claims. I cc'd the Better Business Bureau on the bottom. Within minutes I got a call from the gym rep saying that I had illegally taped them on my phone which I did not (they knowingly left a voicemessage). They have threatened to go after me.

I had asked them not to leave messages on my phone and instead to send me written correspondance so that I could verify their claims but they refused.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 607 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:00 pm
lol They're blowing smoke.

MA Law does require consent of both parties to tape a phone conversation but you can easily argue that they gave their consent by leaving the message on what was obviously a recording medium in the first place.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:29 pm
Don't worry.

I'm not sure about MA, but in PA, damn fools are always leaving threatening messages on the answering machines of their estranged wives and girlfriends--and getting accused legally of terroristic threats.

If any adult in this day and age can't fathom the Deep Inner Meaning of "after the beep".....
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:32 pm
FWIW, doctors have described surgeries performed on voice mail to be transcribed later. Not sure that's relevant to the question, or not.
0 Replies