getting rid of acne any ideas?

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 10:00 am
getting rid of acne hmm 19 and still with it any ideas not that much but still got so i try to wash my face like 4 times a day with soap and stuff used all those creams and it still brakes out whats up? any thing i can do?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 7,471 • Replies: 21
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 10:17 am
Well, I'm 41 and I still get acne on occasion. It's just kinda something that happens.

Keeping your face clean is good, and of course you don't want anything that adds too much grease (e. g. no moisturizing soaps). But keep in mind, also, that irritating your skin will not help, either, so you may be hurting yourself with all of the washing you're doing. Straight alcohol shouldn't be used, as it really can irritate your skin.

Acne or rather a rash, on your face, might be a symptom of an allergy. Hey, it doesn't hurt to get it checked.

Diet can sometimes help. Doctors will claim that chocolate, etc. does not cause acne, but the fact is, my husband and I both break out after too much chocolate and other junk foods. That hasn't changed for us since we were teens, and I doubt we're the only exceptions. In any event, even if it doesn't help your skin, it's a good thing to lay off the junk food.

For girls (I know you aren't one, I'm just throwing this out there), too much makeup can be very pore-clogging, so use only non-cosmedogenic products, and those recommended for oily skin. Also, acne can be associated with the menstrual cycle.

For guys, shaving and shaving products, including aftershave lotion, can be irritants, so be careful as you shave and look for products that are hypoallergenic. But for either gender, be sure to use sunscreen when sunbathing, even if you think it's making you break out more - believe me, skin cancer is far worse than acne, so be careful.

Don't pick at acne. It will go away in the same amount of time, whether you pick or not, and if you do pick at it, you run the risk of scarring. In fact, if you can, keep your hands off your face. This is not only to keep you from picking at any imperfections, but also to keep your face cleaner.

Stress is another factor. I've found I break out when I have stress.

Finally, keep your eyeglasses or sunglasses (if you wear them) and the telephone you use clean. That means cleaning your glasses with soap and water (the nosepieces, the ear pieces, you get the idea) and the telephone with an alcohol-laden pad. You don't need to clean this stuff more than once per day. Another advantage to keeping the phone clean is that it may help you to get fewer colds, as people tend to pass germs to one another when they share telephones.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 12:59 pm
Invest in yourself; see a dermatologist.

Read Perricone:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060188782/ref=pd_sim_books_2/102-8105766-5290531?v=glance&s=books

I recommend Purpose soap (liquid is better than solid) for washing.
http://www.drugstore.com/templates/brand/default.asp?brand=9453&trx=SRCH-0-BRAND-LINK&trxp2=9453

I recommend Neutrogena Dry-Touch Sunblock.
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=79568&catid=1282&trx=GFI-0-EVGR-49973&trxp1=10782&trxp2=79568&trxp3=1&trxp4=2&btrx=BUY-GFI-0-EVGR-49973

Never use hydrogen peroxide on your face.

Take Care.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 01:37 pm
I wouldn't worry about it.
It goes when your body has settled down.
Just think of all that extra "development" you're getting while your friends aren't.
You'll need bigger trousers soon.
Tell that to your mates if they piss you off.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 07:36 pm
Unfortunately, not everyone grows out of it, and scars and enlarged pores can last forever. I have a lot of gray hair, and I still have some acne vulgaris. I also found out recently that I have rosacea. The derm put me on azelaic acid and it has helped clear up ~95%. I still get a few zits before my monthly, though.

So I recommend a visit to a dermatologist for anyone who can afford it.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 07:41 pm
Re: getting rid of acne any ideas?
MisterEThoughts wrote:
getting rid of acne hmm 19 and still with it any ideas not that much but still got so i try to wash my face like 4 times a day with soap and stuff used all those creams and it still brakes out whats up? any thing i can do?

Perhaps a visit to an internist and/or a dermatologist is in order. Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 10 May, 2004 09:27 pm
There are several things that can help control your acne, but likely no product will make them go away. You will probably have to wait it out. But, in the mean time.....

You actually can wash your face too much. The dermatologist I saw said to wash 1-3 times a day with a mild soap (I use natural soaps) and to use a moisturizer made just for people with acne, if you need to. A dermatologist can tell you which moisturizers are for you.

Keep your hair off your face and consider using a light conditioner (one with less oil in it). Don't rest your chin on your palms (like while sitting at a desk) or otherwise touch your face if you don't have to. Try TRY try not to pick at the acne.

Drink lots of water. If you smoke, quit.

I didn't have any unusual acne as a teen, but in my mid 20s I got hit with adult acne that lasted for years. It's gone now, but the scars aren't (I think of them as character). Apparently, it comes and goes as your hormones fluxuate, or at least that's the case for me (a woman).
0 Replies

Exister -

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:01 am
Lots of water
When I was 17 I got a back case of acne around my neck. I tried washing my face more and cutting down on oily food which didn't fix it. I started drinking alot more water, at least 8 glasses per day, while continuing the prior stuff. I also used a lotion but can't remember the name or maker. The outside was white and orange. I believe the key was water though.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 12:28 am
Stop taking steroids, and ask your doctor for tetracycline. Kidding about the first part (I hope), but I'm pretty sure the second is what a friend used to clear up a really bad ongoing case. Good Luck.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:12 am
Try a really hot glass of water with freshly squeezed lemon juice first thing each morning. Think of it as a bit of internal cleansing.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 05:16 am
I went to a dermatologist when I developed bad psoriasis. I also had an annoying acne scar that didn't seem to want to go away. Best doctor's visit I ever made. I got two medications, one for the psoriasis and one for the acne. Both are now gone completely.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 01:21 pm
My daughter developed skin problems in her early teens and after going through the over-the-counter was eventually prescribed tetracycline. She took that for a long time but it didn't really help. When she was 15, the dermatologist prescribed a course of Accutane which cleared it up for a year. When it came back, she took another course of Accutane. Accutane's since developed a bad reputation for causing depression, leading to suicide in some cases, so it's not a good idea.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 01:34 pm
She's now 22, and though the acne hasn't come back, she occasionally has problems if she eats chocolate or greasy food, around "that" time of the month or during the heat of the summer when she finds that her skin is more oily.

She was advised by the dermatologist to wash her face twice a day with a mild, non-soap cleanser, such as Cetaphil lotion. Pat dry. Wait 10 to 15 minutes and apply a tretinoin acne agent such as Retin-A or Stieva-A. It works for her.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 06:30 pm
I did use prescription products for my acne - NOT accutane. I used retin-A for a while, but it was very expensive. Retin-A burns the top layer of skin off to unclog poors and smooth scarring. I also used, for a long time, a lotion called cleocin (I think) - a mild topical antibiotic.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 06:33 pm
You may have too much testosterone. A doc can do a blood test. If this is the culprit, a couple of meds will knock it out. Of course, your penis will shrink...

<kidding>
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 06:43 pm
When a person becomes sexually active their acne usually subsides quite a bit. :wink:

In the meantime try these suggestions:

Eliminate caffiene, chocolate, fried foods and sugary drinks/sodas from your diet.

Don't touch your face. The oils from your hands don't help the situation.

Wash your hair frequently. Bangs, hair touching your face will aggrevate acne.

Drink several glasses/bottles of water everyday.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 06:49 pm
From personal experience, foods didn't have much of an effect on my acne. To be truthful, even though I mentioned the hair thing too, neither did the fact that I have bangs (never had a big problem with acne on my forehead).

The variety guidelines for living with acne are just that a guideline. That's why, in my first post, I made mention that acne will go away in time. I think the lifestyle changes and medications only help control acne and don't make it stop happening for good.

I don't mean to depress you, MrE, but it may be helpful to take the view that your acne may not respond to anything but time. I think a lot of people spend a lot of frustrated time trying to make it go away, and stress is one of the contributors to acne......
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 06:58 pm
Unfortunately, it won't help MisterE, but after the Accutane, she tried Diane 35 and used that for a few months 'til it settled down. Last summer, when she was working outside for the summer in the heat, she had a few problems again and the doctor prescribed Ortho-Tricyclin.

As I said, that won't help MisterE!
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Wed 12 May, 2004 07:00 pm
littlek, stress, for sure, has been a contributor ... around exam time.
0 Replies

iceman71

Reply Thu 13 May, 2004 03:14 pm
it is oil in your skin,the thing i used to use was tee tree oil,it takes out all the oil and grease from your skin.give it a go and good luck
0 Replies