For New Yorkers

Reply Wed 14 May, 2014 07:58 pm
I'll be disembarking from a cruise boat on September 27 early in the morning, but I have a flight home at 6pm, and I want to do a quickie tour of NYC that includes all the major sites, but I don't need to revisit the Statue of Liberty. My flight flies out from LaGuardia.

1. Can it be done within that time frame?
2. What sites should I include in my tour?
3. How long should I allocate for these sites?
4. Want to include Times Square for sure, and Grand Central Station because I spent many hours there in the mid-fifties while some of us airmen waited for our pickup to take us to our quarters.
5. What's the best form of transportation for this tour?
6. What are the top five sites not to miss?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 3,701 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 01:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Since boats don't always dock on time, there's no way to truly calculate how much time you'll have in the Wormy Apple. Then again, you are vague with saying that the disembarking time is 'early'. Are you saying 6 in the a.m. or 2 in the a.m. or perhaps later? Additionally, where will the ship be coming in?

The passenger ship terminal is in the west 5os over by around 12th Avenue. From there you could likely trek over to Central Park and then take a quick walk down B'way into Times Square. Then hop on the bus...no, scratch that, it takes forever...then walk east to Grand Central and go on in. They redid the ceiling in there a few years back so the constellations are back to looking, well, er, um, stellar.

From there, it's a short walk down to 34th Street and the Empire State building, although to save a few moments of time, I'd recommend taking a trip up to the Observation deck of the simply fantastic and fabulous Chrysler Building which is right there by Grand Central.

From there you can head further east and at the very least, view the United Nations building. Not sure what their visiting/touring schedule might be.

It's impossible to really say what the best things are for visiting, and given the time constraints, I'd have to add in you need to factor in waiting times at certain locales. The thing is, so much of my life has been attached to the city that I rarely notice or fully comprehend how all the things around me are great tourist venues. That, by the way, is the answer as to best places. Honestly, any place is something which will be on somebody's 'best' list.

As far as transportation, it depends on your abilities. Are you a good walker? If that's the case, then walk. Other than that, subways are quick; however, you'll need to know the routes in advance to get from point A to point E or point J. Taking a bus in New York can be infuriating and often times you will notice people walking along faster than the bus. If the President is in town, you can add to the snail pace as traffic is prohibited in certain corridors and rerouted like mad. Cabs are good, but mighty costly. They are also harder to get if it's raining. Are you good as a bicyclist? Maybe rent a bike to maneuver around town.

Towards the end of your day, you can get an expensive cab or car service to LaGuardia, or hop on a bus to get there or use the public transit, and take a train, then transfer (free) to the M60 bus at Astoria (need to take the R or N train from Manhattan). I know other trains have bus transfer spots as well, check the mta.info website to learn more.

Remember, you need to arrive at the airport at least an hour in advance.

Have a nice cruise, and visit and be sure to keep us up to date as time permits.

S.
Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 02:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Hi Ci,

Like many native New Yorkers, I don't really see the cultural attractions around me the way those from outside the state do. However, I can recommend the Museum of Natural History. It is at Central Park W and 79th St.
(212) 769-5100. That is one of my most favorite places.

Then there is the Metropolitan Museum of Art and one of the world's largest and finest art museums. Its collection includes more than two million works of art ...you're sure to enjoy that but it can be time-consuming......
1000 5th Ave.
(212) 535-7710
______

Personally, I would take a cab first before the bus (I often do because driving my own car in the city is a pain!) ....since you say you are limited in time, although sometime car traffic can be a headache. The subway is nice, too. I have enclosed a link for you of the five boroughs for the future when and if you return.

http://www.viator.com/New-York-City/d687/top-attractions
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 02:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I know that you want to do all this by yourself.
But viator tours offer some guided tours (small groups) which aren't bad at all! (I've done one myself.)

The best idea, however, is to get a good guide book, a map of the public transport ...and do it on your own. And since you like walking,c.i., you'll really see a lot - perhaps not all, but enough Very Happy (I did that, too.)
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 02:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'll be disembarking from a cruise boat on September 27 early in the morning, but I have a flight home at 6pm, and I want to do a quickie tour of NYC that includes all the major sites, but I don't need to revisit the Statue of Liberty. My flight flies out from LaGuardia.

1. Can it be done within that time frame?
NO; not even close.

cicerone imposter wrote:
2. What sites should I include in my tour?
The American Museum of Natural History
Central Park West and 79th St. (212) 769-5100

cicerone imposter wrote:
3. How long should I allocate for these sites?
Sufficiently few hours that u don t blow your flight out
and u have time to eat comfortably.

cicerone imposter wrote:
4. Want to include Times Square for sure, and Grand Central Station
because I spent many hours there in the mid-fifties while some of us airmen waited
for our pickup to take us to our quarters.
Thay do not require much time.
U just go there and look, satisfy your nostalgia, then depart.

cicerone imposter wrote:
5. What's the best form of transportation for this tour?
Taxie cabs.

cicerone imposter wrote:
6. What are the top five sites not to miss?
Your flight out, on time, is all of them.

This is the first time that I ever heard of anyone
who actually thinks he can tour NY in one day.

David

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 02:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
David, Thanks for your suggestions, but that's the reason I'm asking about timing and what not to miss. I've been to NYC a couple of times, but that was decades ago; in the late 50's (spent a lot of time at Coney Island and in and around Manhattan). and when I took my family when our children were teenagers. I've already visited most of the best museums, but that was so long ago, it deserves a revisit.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 02:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Walter, Thanks for the suggestion about small group tours. Sounds like the best option for me; they'll also know when I should head to the airport.

MiT, Museums have always been one of my favorite places, and NYC offers some of the best on this planet. I'll surely visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a quickie.

Do you know what their hours are?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 02:51 pm
I like everybody's ideas so far. Last time I was there was 2003. We all have different gotta-see places. I only saw the UN while sitting in the transport van coming from Newark airport, and that's fine with me. I lived there as a kid, so the main interest for me, other than meeting a2kers and spending as much time as I could at the Met (big chunks of 4 days), was to walk the city, and for me that was Manhattan, given my six days. One day? Me, I'd get myself to around 79th (taxi re time) and walk south, part in and part out of the park since I also like the great avenues. Or start at the Met but don't go in, just look at it. Going down 5th, you'll see the Guggenheim and the Frick and the Whitney, I forget in what order. If you Cross the park and go down Central Park West, and over to Broadway, you'll see Lincoln Center, should you wish. Given your time, I'd just walk by most of these places or just pick one. Go to Times Square. I would even walk by the Chrysler and the Empire State.. but I'd go into Grand Central.

I'd take a rest in one of the famous smaller parks, have a snack somewhere in or around it, maybe from a street cart (others will tell you the good ones). Being a food nut and and italophile, I might try to find the Eataly store or one of the small restaurants I've saved on my city lists. Diane and I walked into a Thai restaurant the minute we were both starving and it was great. Somewhere in Soho. You might want to walk to Wall St. just to look at it. Or whatever your inclination re the many places. I'd take a cab to the airport in plenty of time.

My best walk the city guides for a lot of cities have been the books by Richard Saul Wurman - they break a city down to neighborhoods and tell you what you are walking past. They're NOT heavy and filled with glossy photos (unless they've changed recently) - they tell you what you are looking at.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Saul_Wurman

Access New York
http://www.amazon.com/Access-New-York-City-Guides/dp/B002KE4956

Reading the comments, I'd try to order not the latest edition.
I see I bought mine in New York at Rizzoli (may Rizzoli rest in peace). Can't tell the year but I'll guess 2000.

This looks like the best spot to order one -
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?series_id=211295

Even if you don't take it with you, they're old and out of style now but so useful. I'd tear out the section I was interested in. I have no shame for book tearing on trips since I travel exceptionally light.

So, how to you get your luggage to LaGuardia??

Forgot - the Highline was made worderful since I was there - you might want to check that out.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 02:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
The Brooklyn Museum is very interesting and good as well - a bit out of the tourist footpaths, but easy to get there by subway. (The botanic garden next to it is just marvellous!)
0 Replies

Moment-in-Time

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 03:04 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

MiT, Museums have always been one of my favorite places, and NYC offers some of the best on this planet. I'll surely visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art for a quickie.

Do you know what their hours are?

Metropolitan Museums hours are 9:00 am to 5:00 PM.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 03:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
We could meet for a beer or coffee...and I could take you for a tour of Central Park...one of the "cannot miss" places in the Big Apple.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/000_0026_zpsfb0c77b7.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/100_0332_zpse5e51be2.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/100_1064_zps8a618070.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/100_0405_zps6d2b7514.jpg

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 03:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Very generous of you, Frank. We could probably meet at the Met Museum of Art before or after my visit. Might be a good starting point.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 03:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I agree with Osso qua the Empire The Empire State Building,
but I suggest that u enter it, not walk past it,
and ascend to its Observation Deck for a good vu of NY.

www.esbnyc.com/
Empire State Building
Official site of the Empire State Building: the world famous,
must see New York City landmark and attraction.
350 5th Ave, New York, NY 10118 at the intersection
of Fifth Avenue and West 34th Street.
(212) 736-3100

In my opinion, the Chrysler Building is also very beautiful
on 42nd Street between Lexington and Third Avenues on the east side of Midtown Manhattan.

http://www.tishmanspeyer.com/properties/chrysler-center

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 04:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
We could meet for a beer or coffee...and I could take you for a tour of Central Park...
one of the "cannot miss" places in the Big Apple.
I 've been informed that with the departure of Mayor Bloomberg,
Tavern on the Green, in Central Park's Sheep Meadow, has re-opened, Frank,
tho I have no reviews of its quality yet. Have u tried it yet ?

David
ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 04:08 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Glad you want to go in to the Met! Just standing in it makes me happy.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 04:22 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
We could meet for a beer or coffee...and I could take you for a tour of Central Park...

David

It has reopened, David. My sister and her husband tried for reservations while out here...but couldn't get 'em. Apparently it is that busy. Seems weird.The guy who owns the Shake Shack was one of the bidders, but I understand he was a loser...and the winning bid was by someone from Pennsylvania. Entirely re-done, I understand, but that is second hand.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 04:27 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
When I took the family to NYC in 1993, we went up the Empire State and the World Trade Center. My younger son even climbed the Statue of Liberty - something I did in the late fifties at a much younger age.
Unfortunately, my pictures from those days are long gone to picture heaven.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 04:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Very generous of you, Frank. We could probably meet at the Met Museum of Art before or after my visit. Might be a good starting point.

It would be a great starting point, ci. That obelisk (Cleopatra's Needle from 1450 BC) is directly behind the museum. Unfortunately, it currently is surrounded by scaffolding...with repair of some sort being done.

But a trip from there to Belvedere Castle...and to the Mall of great statues is doable.

The Park is a terrific place...and I'd love to meet you. I'm envious of all your travels...and would like to compare notes on the few places I know we both visited. And a few words about our concurrent time in the Air Force would be fun.

Keep me posted. I am available...and I can get into town fairly early. If the weather is right...I think you'd enjoy a walk in the park after your visit to the museum. I was at the museum two weeks ago. Major league.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/100_1226_zps7705b93d.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/100_0850_zps6f61e380.jpg

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk17/frankapisa/100_1084_zps45f6945e.jpg
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 04:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

David

It has reopened, David. My sister and her husband tried for reservations while out here...but couldn't get 'em. Apparently it is that busy. Seems weird.The guy who owns the Shake Shack was one of the bidders, but I understand he was a loser...and the winning bid was by someone from Pennsylvania. Entirely re-done, I understand, but that is second hand.
The old Tavern on the Green was spectacularly beautiful. I went there ofen, especially in Summer.
I used to put my fine dining group into it.
I hope that the lites r still up in the trees; a blessing to the beauty of NY.

B4 Bloomberg screwed them out of their lease,
it was America 's highest $$$$$ grossing restaurant.

Maybe u will render us your opinion of how well thay have succeeded
in re-doing it ???????

David
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 15 May, 2014 09:23 pm
@Sturgis,
The boat will be docking in Brooklyn at Pier 12, and disembarkation starts at 7:30am. I thought I might be able to take a taxi to Chinatown, then head towards the Empire State, Grand Central and Times Square. Would like to get a glance at Radio City Music Hall, Rockerfeller Center, and some of the other familiar sites I've visited so long ago. I can then end up at the Met Museum of Art, and take a taxi to the airport from there.

Plenty of time to revise and re-revise as needed.
0 Replies