Precognition in a deterministic universe

neologist

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 09:00 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
But Jesus was in existence before those events, since he was the first creation.
Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:23 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

But Jesus was in existence before those events, since he was the first creation.

I thought Jesus is God, which means he's always been around. Therefore, he was never created.
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:26 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Neo subscribes to a slightly different superstition.
neologist

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:34 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Ding an Sich wrote:
I thought Jesus is God, which means he's always been around. Therefore, he was never created.
You think like a trinitarian.
But
Quote:
(Colossians 1:15) . . . He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. . .
Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:46 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Ding an Sich wrote:
You think like a trinitarian.
But
Quote:
(Colossians 1:15) . . . He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. . .

If I thought like a Trinitarian, then I would be thinking in contradictions.
Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 12:59 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Neo subscribes to a slightly different superstition.

It's all nonsense to me. I was putting on my Reformed Presbyterian hat for a post or two. XD
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 02:07 pm
Quote:
Ding said: I thought Jesus is God..

Nope..Smile

Jesus said - "I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28 )
"Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
"Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)
"I say nothing of my own accord, i only say what my father tells me to say.." (John 12:49)
"I am going to my Father and your Father, my God and your God" (John 20:17)
“Father, the hour has come....I am coming to you now" (John 17:13)
"Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." (Luke 23:46)

mikeymojo

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 06:53 pm
Here's something that always makes me laugh. Religious folk will defend their prophets when they claim to "see the future", yet dismiss a psychic for claiming the same exact thing. Do we really need double standards in the world? The religious babble in this post is excruciating.
mikeymojo

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 07:02 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Are you familiar with Nietzsche's notion of the Eternal Recurrence in which everything will be endlessly repeated exactly the same?

Found time to read up on Nietzsche and must say it's just about right on with my thoughts about determinism. It would be deflating if it were true, but I also wouldn't mind if I do end up living this life again. It's not all that bad though I definitely can't speak for everyone.
Ding an Sich

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 07:15 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Ding said: I thought Jesus is God..

Nope..Smile

Jesus said - "I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28 )
"Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
"Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)
"I say nothing of my own accord, i only say what my father tells me to say.." (John 12:49)
"I am going to my Father and your Father, my God and your God" (John 20:17)
“Father, the hour has come....I am coming to you now" (John 17:13)
"Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." (Luke 23:46)

That's wonderful and all, but read my last few posts. Idgaf. Smile
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 11:25 pm
@mikeymojo,
Good news: to completely accept your life exactly as it has been and is to the extent that you would be willing to live it again and repeatedly forever without change is, according to Nietzsche, to be an ubermench (of sorts).
I see his "eternal recurrence" as metaphor for the "eternal present" which is what I take this on-going moment to be.
neologist

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 11:41 pm
@Ding an Sich,
Right.

You have mastered the art of creative contradiction.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 16 May, 2014 11:48 pm
@mikeymojo,
mikeymojo wrote:
Here's something that always makes me laugh. Religious folk will defend their prophets when they claim to "see the future", yet dismiss a psychic for claiming the same exact thing. Do we really need double standards in the world? The religious babble in this post is excruciating.
Waytogomojo! How does one go about verifying the claims of which you speak?
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 12:59 pm
Quote:
Mikeymojo said: Religious folk will defend their prophets when they claim to "see the future", yet dismiss a psychic for claiming the same exact thing.

But prophets weren't psychics, they were simply 'go-betweens' between God and humans, passing on his messages to us..Smile
mikeymojo

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 07:32 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

mikeymojo wrote:
Waytogomojo! How does one go about verifying the claims of which you speak?

Sorry Neo, I can't answer a question that even you don't have an answer to. I can say my verifications of claims don't come from a book.
0 Replies

mikeymojo

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 07:35 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Mikeymojo said: Religious folk will defend their prophets when they claim to "see the future", yet dismiss a psychic for claiming the same exact thing.

But prophets weren't psychics, they were simply 'go-betweens' between God and humans, passing on his messages to us..Smile

You don't know that Romeo.
0 Replies

mikeymojo

Reply Sat 17 May, 2014 07:48 pm
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:

Good news: to completely accept your life exactly as it has been and is to the extent that you would be willing to live it again and repeatedly forever without change is, according to Nietzsche, to be an ubermench (of sorts).
I see his "eternal recurrence" as metaphor for the "eternal present" which is what I take this on-going moment to be.

Maybe so, but I'm not completely sold. I find it hard to believe that anything recurs eternally. But that's just my materialism talking, which I'm not sold on either. I personally believe all concepts of philosophy hold some truthfulness and value in life, even if we don't know it's there. The trick is knowing which to implement in the moment.
spacetime89

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2014 01:33 pm
God, and in particular religion, has nothing to do with the discussion.
Germlat

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:25 pm
@spacetime89,
Nor does reality...so what?!
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:40 pm
@mikeymojo,
It is curious, if no information is ever lost, and reality never stops to progress then the Universe is bound to repeat itself ad eternum, and in it, any physical possibility will re emerge time and time again, so one might argue that non recurrence is in fact what is hard to believe in, as it is non rational...
Nature is full of recurrence everywhere around us from season cycles to evolution re inventing the same biological tools after mass extinctions because they work. The level of detail in recurrence right down to the individual level is just dependent on statistics and aeons.
0 Replies