Who's in my house?

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 07:51 am
When I am alone in my house, I hear someone walking. It isn't just a creak of a house settling, but sounds exactly like footsteps above me. I am not home alone often but from time to time.

I work from home one day a week so it is typically just me and the dog. I am working and it is pretty quiet -- the dog is just snoozing nearby. Then I hear it, footsteps above me. Strange the dog doesn't even move or make a sound. It doesn't bother me and for some reason I don't go investigate just continue with my work.

So who is it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,651 • Replies: 12
No top replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 07:56 am
@Linkat,
(((meekly raises hand))) Sorry. I was checking if you had any extra skim milk. I ran out last night and didn't have enough for my cereal this morning.

In retrospect, I probably should have saved all of that money it took me to travel to your house from NYC and just bought breakfast before going to work. Also since today is a Friday our law firm gives out free bagels in the morning for breakfast so technically I was all set in the breakfast dept. ((((sigh))))

I'll call you next time to see if you have any extra skim milk in the fridge.
chai2

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 07:58 am
It may be racoons or squirrels or such in your attic, or even tromping around on your roof.
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 08:05 am
@Linkat,
Marley's ghost.
Linkat

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 08:06 am
@tsarstepan,
We usually do have some skim -- so come on over...although it does seem a bit extreme to travel so far
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 08:07 am
@chai2,
I thought about that -- but it sounds like it is upstairs in one of the kid's rooms directly over my heard.

Maybe it is true about the toys and stuffed animals coming alive when one leaves them alone.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 08:08 am
@Ragman,
But I am not an old crumengian (however you spell it) greedy man.
Ragman

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 08:18 am
@Linkat,
I am - a curmudge....just not greedy. You need some money to be greedy.

Seriously, you need someone to check your attic's ridge vent and any opening into your attic, etc, 'cause this is the time for critters to make their nests and set up shop.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 11:24 am
@Linkat,
Are you sure it isn't the fisherman?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 11:50 am
Two takes.
1. We once had a woman who kept calling the office to complain there was a man in the vacant apartment, over her head, and it sounded as though he were coming through her ceiling. We always dropped everything to rush over there, so that such a man could not get away. Always found the apt locked tight and no sign anybody had been in.

2. My sister in law told us her house appeared to be haunted. Footsteps and movement sounds constantly. Doors moved without being touched. There was a spot near the dining room or the kitchen the dog avoided at all costs. It was eventually learned that the house sits on a mild fault line. After they understood that, the house seemed to make less creepy sounds. In fact, she no longer talks about anything like that.
Linkat

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 12:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm actually not creeped out. If the dog is still lying down and not moving I figure it can't be anything of a threat. He is very vocal whenever danger like a squirrel or a passing small child is within sight.

I figure it is just the house -- the floor just creaks like the sound of someone walking.
neologist

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 04:46 pm
@Linkat,
Just the same, avoid any j shaped objects hanging from strings.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 May, 2014 06:03 pm
@edgarblythe,
My cousin whom I well love and her husband lived in New Mexico now dozens of years ago and told, over the years, about the beings in the attics. Her sister and bro in law agreed, both men engineers, in the old sense of the term, and who were there for the birth in the first place. I know their faces, they weren't kidding. There was a religion aspect.

Well, y'all know me. I take it as structural sounds from wind plus air making stuff happen.

0 Replies